“Day passes”

Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Ozone Park, New York
“Day passes”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great idea. Traveling with family allows for relaxation and tranquility. Beautiful beach and pool.
Property very clean but small. Day passes are $55 for adults with $30 with return for food and drinks and $30 for kids same for food. Excellent food and drinks, staff sooo friendly. Close to ship port, can walk and see nassua by foot. Can see all boats pull in out of port from beach and pool. Made for beautiful pictures.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank familytraveler310
MariaMarquez, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent experience at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau. I am very pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your day passes as well as the food and service provided at the Patio Bar and Grille. We hope that you will come back for a longer visit next time in order to take full advantage of our amenities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed at the British Colonial Hilton for fourteen nights while visiting my daughter who was in Nassau studying as part of her medical degree.I had read some of the negative posts about the hotel before going so was concerned about what to expect. The staff were very friendly and helpful.On arrival after a long tiring flight I was told my room was not ready although this was after the 4pm check-in time. I didn't complain as such, but simply said that I had had a long flight and was keen to freshen up and spend time with my daughter. I had booked a Queen City view room and was put in one for a night then given a complimentary upgrade to a King garden and sea view room the next day. I also was given a drinks voucher for two complimentary drinks and later an invite to the manager's cocktail party. Thanks to Patrice and Patricia on front desk for their assistance in this. The concierge staff were always helpful and ready with a good morning or good afternoon.It was no problem to assist in making restaurant reservations. The hotel is very conveniently located in downtown Nassau, and I never felt unsafe. The room was quiet,clean and spacious and although it was not made up one day that was understandable as they had to switch off the water to repair a burst water main which they informed all the guests about. The water was restored in the afternoon. I found the pool very clean and usually not too crowded, even with cruise day pass guests using it. I loved the day beds by the pool to save me getting burned! I didn't really use the beach but it was surprisingly clean for its proximity to the cruise port, even after a storm..Items on my room bill which I queried as not belonging to me were immediately taken off without argument. It was a lovely relaxing break and I would return there without hesitation.

Room Tip: The Queen city view rooms are quite small and have a McDonalds view. Try for a King ocean view. The...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
MariaMarquez, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am so pleased that you afforded us the opportunity to host you during your 14 day stay in Nassau. I have shared your encouraging comments with our staff and both Patrice and Patricia were particularly delighted to receive your feedback.

Thank you once again for choosing the British Colonial Hilton Nassau and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

All the best,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 1, 2012

If you have business in Nassau then this is the perfect location for you. Located in central Nassau four blocks from the Government House and steps from the American Embassy. However if you are on vacation there are better options. I stayed here for 4 nights in August. The hotel was very clean, staff was attentive. Make sure you read the fine print though $50 in fees added to your bill each night. Its is right next to the cruise port and downtown. Downtown is bustling during the day with cruise ship passengers etc, but since most of the cruise ships reboard around 7pm, the area completely dies, and gets a little scary. Even walking back the three blocks from Senor Frogs to the hotel around midnight we were harassed two of the nights by a few drunk locals hanging out on the benches and no one else in sight, they tried to block our path. I'm a pretty big guy so I just pushed them aside but....I wonder what happens to older couples or women alone. (most of the locals you'll meet by the way are extremely friendly, but like anywhere there are exceptions).
The other thing is the beach. first its very small, just a little private beach for the hotel. and although the water looks clear as can be, the cruise ship docks are literally 100 yds away and to the other side of the beach there is some kind of run off pipe that was always spewing liquid, don't know what it was but it wasn't raining so it wasn't storm water. It made us a little nervous. We ended up paying $25 each per day for day passes to the Sheraton on Cable beach about 6 miles away, beach was much, much nicer.
To sum up, there are better options for a vacation, if you're looking to club it up along with your beach then Atlantis or RIU on paradise island. Still only 10 minutes by water taxi to downtown. If you're looking for a great beach but not so disneyish as Paradise island then check out the hotels on Cable beach, Sheraton, wyndam, etc. There are buses constantly running to downtown if you want to get there for $1.25. cab is $15.
One tip I learned while there - if you want the amenities of Atlantis but don't want to pay atlantis rates you can stay at the comfort inn across the street (same owners) and your room comes with access to all the amenities at Atlantis including the pools, beach etc.
oh..and when leaving get to the airport 3hrs before your flight, seriously. It takes forever to get through security and US Customs is done before you board not after you're back in the US and they will not hold your flight no matter what.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Drewindc
MariaMarquez, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review pertaining to your recent visit to Nassau. Although I regret to learn that we were unable to fully meet your expectations, I am glad that you found our staff attentive and our grounds well groomed.

We truly hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Punta del Este, Uruguay
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We got lucky via Hotwire and scored a nightly rate well under the advertised. I would have been happy to pay the $200+ a night for this hotel for a number of reasons.

The front desk staff were excellent. They handled all our requirements to the point where we felt we were receiving special treatment.

The private beach is superb as we have an 18 month year old who was able to enjoy the beach and clear water. The only complaint I have about the beach is that there were a lot of cigarette buds buried under the sand. Ban smoking on the beach perhaps?

Our first night was spent in a garden facing room which was pretty dark but bigger than I expected. If it weren't for the stairs we probably would have stayed in it for the week. We did however manage to change to a room on the 3rd floor without the need to use the stairs. The room was exactly the same apart from the magnificent view of the harbor and beach. The room also had a lot more light and the change really made our trip.

We ate almost every night in the hotel restaurant and once again the staff were warm and friendly.

The location of the hotel is within walking distance to McDonalds, Dunkin Doughnuts, supermarket and the main ferry to Paradise Island. There are also a few restaurants nearby and a bottle shop across the road.

Luxury + convenience made this hotel a winner.

Room Tip: Worth getting a sea-view room on floors 3 and above.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau. I have shared your comments with our staff and they’re delighted that they were able to play a role in making your trip so special. I am also very pleased that you enjoyed our beach, restaurant and convenient location.

We value your recommendation and hope to welcome you and your family back at our hotel in the near future.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Yes, there are charges, which you should expect as they are disclosed, and really, it is the standard now. Oh, well. Also, the drinks and food are expensive, but welcome to Nassau. However, this is a property with a lot of James Bond history and really fits it's Colonial name. Rooms are always fine and wonderful views are possible depending on your room. The breakfast is excellent - I always eat here for breakfast with wonderful fruit selection and good coffee. Location is perfect as well. This is not a large Atlantis or Sandals type establishment - but you can always go there should you wish to visit. What it is is a great business hotel in a good location with a decent pool and beach.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank riflemand
Dear riflemand,

Thank you very much for your recommendation! We are indeed located on the site of Old Fort Nassau, in the heart of downtown, making us one of the most historic hotels on the island. I am pleased that our location is convenient for your needs and that the breakfast buffet and beach and pool are always to your liking.

We truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to Nassau.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a wonderful vacation in the Bahamas thanks to the Hilton. Here are the positives.

1 We were allowed to check in two hours early and check out two hours late at no additional charge. This was much appreciated.

2. Everyone and I mean everyone was friendly and helpful. The concierge (didn't get his name but he's very tall) and the waitress who worked in the Buillion on 8/26 were standouts

3. The room was great and the bathroom nicely appointed. It's worth it to get a room with a view which was what we switched to upon arrival. I read the reviews ahead of time so I anticipated the surchages for the maid and energy usage.

4 The grounds were very well kept and I especially loved the cabanas and other seating they had around the pool and down by the beach. It was very soothing and romantic, especially at night when the lights were switched on.

5. Location, location, location. The Hilton is centrally located so we only had to take a cab to and from the airport. This cost $60 roundtrip. We waked to every other place including Junkanoo beach, Da Fish Fry, the Straw Market etc. Atlantis is only a $3 ferry ride away or you can take a cab. If you're interested in hangin out with the locals, several places are open til 4 a.m. Just tell the concierge what you're interested in and he'll tell you where to go.

The not so positive

1. The food at the Hilton is expensive. Breakfast for two cost about $40+ but we had various options so I can't complain. We had 5 cocktails and an order of wings at Buillion and paid over $100! While we enjoyed the drinks, the atmosphere and the service we never dined there again. Instead we went to Candies at Da Fish Fry and got a whole lot of food for $40. Several stands on Junkanoo beach also sold reasonably priced local food and drinks. I should note that the touristy parts of the Bahamas are very expensive so the Hilton really isn't an exception.

2. You have to pay for wifi. I think 2 hours cost $5. It would have been nice to have this included as again, the hotel is not cheap.

Overall impression
We had a great time and would definitely stay at the Hilton again if we return to the Bahamas

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the pool and the beach. It's beautiful at night plus you can watch th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toyalisa
MariaMarquez, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Toyalisa,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau. I am delighted that you enjoyed the genuine hospitality of our team as well as your room, our grounds and our strategic location. I regret to read that we were unable to meet your expectations regarding pricing and Internet. However, I am very glad to know that you would stay with us again upon your return to Nassau.

We value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Best Regards,
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week, after beeing booked here by our travel agency. Arriving in the Bahamas we had great expectations for this hotel being a Hilton with a fairly high pricetag. The location in the middle of Nassau was apealing to us as we wanted to be close to the city with restaurants and offers of the city. The lobby of the hotel looks good with is colonial style and give a promising first impresion, but it quickly became clear that the rest of the hotel does not live up to this. We had a small city-view room with just the basic amenities, the condition of the room is like something you would expect from a 1-start motel with very visible signs of bad maintenance. The biggest problem with the room however is the paper-thin walls with every single noise from the neighboring rooms sounding like a thunderstorm.
The extra charges for the hotel presented upon check-out is a chapter of its own with ridiculus prices beeing charged for the most unbelievable service (like electricity).

All in a all a bad hotel-experience on an island with lots of better alternatives. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank T-Skjorten
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments pertaining to your recent stay at the British Colonial Hilton Nassau. We are very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and hope that you will accept our apologies.

Regarding our rooms, we offer a variety of room types in order to cater to the different needs of our guests. We regret that you were not satisfied with your accommodations and hope that you will afford us another opportunity to wow you. Should you decide to return, please contact me directly and I will arrange all of the necessary details.

Kind Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Compass Point Beach Resort
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!