“hidden beauty”

The Retreat Garden National Park
Ranked #59 of 127 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: Over 175 different species of palm trees flourish at this 11 acre nature reserve, headquarters to the Bahamas National Trust.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

a lot of persons don't know or hear about this great place, it is perfect for a wedding, photo shoot, a party, very remote and beautiful, the flowers are so pretty, it is beauty in it's finest

2  Thank friendlyfanny1

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Home of the largest palm collection in the Bahamas, and one of the largest collections in the world. Beautiful property, they have numerous events thoughout the year including the Wine and Art Festival, Jollification, Da Market, and much more.

1  Thank farriscapes
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I was excited to see this tropical garden with its palms collection.
We made it there via public bus. Easy. Ask the bus drivers what bus to take. $1.25 for a one way trip.
I paid for our entrances: $2 per person. I recieved a map for the self guided tour.
Alas, my husband and I had difficulty with the self guided tour. It was confusing for us.
The area was beautiful regardless. There are picnic areas and this is a place you can take children. Or, seniors. No inclines or declines.
Support the Bahamas Natl Trust.

4  Thank watravelinggal
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I decided to visit The Retreat after reading a guidebook description of it as "a beautiful escape from Nassau's heat".

Although the palm trees were beautiful, the park was very overgrown, and had not been maintained. Worst of all, there was a VERY dead animal (it looked like a raccoon, but I did not get close enough to check!) near The Retreat's visitors' center, on one of the park's lawns.

The Retreat is not the biggest tourist trap in Nassau - that dubious distinction belongs to the dreadful Ardastra Gardens, on the west side of town. However, I would not recommend visiting it, even if you are driving right by.

3  Thank JoeMSP
Reviewed February 23, 2007

I go to Nassau every March and last year we visited The Retreat as it boasted beautiful trees, plants and was suggested as a nice place to walk around. When we arrived we were given a map and allowed to wander the garden freely.

It is a large area with many palms, trees and plants but none of them are marked - unless you know your vegetation, you don't know what you're looking at while walking through the gardens. it is also a natural garden so if you are interested in seeing well-manicured lawns and gardens, this is not the place for you - the dirt path proved difficult for me as I foolishly wore sandals with a heel.

It is also a little bit out of the way from downtown, Bay Street - one bus from the city center or 2 buses from Cable Beach. While it was not a terrible experience, we still won't be going back.

8  Thank worldsoundwalker