“Fair and thorough review”

Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Fair and thorough review”
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Let me start by explaining my background. My wife and I are in our mid-20s and have been to a Sandals in Jamaica and Marriott in St. Kitts. That being said, I wanted to provide a review that is hopefully useful to most people, often times I found reviews in here that made it hard to actually get a good view of what the resort is. The resort IS a budget resort. You get what you pay for. So keep that in mind.

Rooms - just so you know, you reserve the room type and they try to accommodate your bed preference. We asked for a King bed and were given a room with two fulls for the first night since they were full. We had to wait until the next day to get the room we requested. Otherwise they were clean and very unremarkable. The furniture is outdated but not in bad condition. You also have a wall mounted flat screen tv. I read many complaints about cleanliness, we had no problem, and our rooms were cleaned every day.

Food - very hit and miss. This is definitely where they cut to make this a budget resort. The two restaurants are ok, but you must call from 9am-11am to get a reservation. I would call right at 9 and still couldn't get a reservation for one of the days. They close one restaurant on Sundays and the other on Mondays, which will limit your choices. I am sure you have read about the buffet. But at least 80% of the food will not even be warm. Breakfast and Lunch are ok, you just need to pick and choose (can toast your own bagels in the morning/pizza always warm at lunch). But I would seriously avoid dinner at the buffet if possible.... I am incredibly easy to please when it comes to food, but it was very hard to find things that were warm unless it was just brought out. They do have all of the food in chafing dishes, but I guess they don't keep the water hot. This was by far the worst part of the resort. I didn't expect much out of the food, but this was well below my low expectations.

Drinks - just ask for your liquor by name and you will be fine. They have plenty of name brands like Jack Daniels, Crown Royal, Captain Morgan, Bacardi etc. They do serve in small 8 ounce glasses but it really isn't a big deal. If you are a drinker just bring a big mug or buy one in the gift shop, I saw plenty of people who did that. I thought the beer (Kalik) was gross, it is the only beer option so I avoided it the whole week.

Beach - well groomed, plenty of beach chairs and tables. Just like with most Caribbean places there will be vendors, but they leave you alone once you say "no thank you". The water is absolutely gorgeous!

Pool - we did not go in for more than 10 minutes a few times because the weather was in the mid 70s and the pool was cold. The pools themselves were average and not heated. The hot tub was hit or miss. Sometimes it wasn't very clean and other times it would get too hot or be luke warm. I asked the staff about it and they said it self regulates, but there was one time there were about a dozen people sitting around the hot tub because it was too hot to even put more than your feet in.

Activities - a lot better than expected. The staff works hard to have a good time. There is usually some outdoor activity almost every hour. There are also plenty of water sports (we kayaked), a trapeze and a climbing wall. Inside there are 4 pool tables, some ping pong tables, basketball and plenty of other activities, you shouldn't get bored! At night they always have entertainment, their local band is very entertaining. The piano bar also was a lot of fun, I would highly recommend it. While we were there not many people used the club, but it would have been fun had there been more people dancing.

Downtown Nassau - pretty generic for a Caribbean city - you can negotiate for knock-off purses and other souvenirs - there are also plenty of jewelry stores. I would very much recommend the greek restaurant, it is some of the best greek food I have ever had! I know it sounds weird in the Bahamas, but they actually have a huge Greek population apparently, so the food is very authentic.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. We won't go back, but we had a good time while we were there except for the food.

5 Thank KevinWeber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,566)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I stayed here with a few girl friends in May 2009. It was the worst trip ever. It rained the first few days, which I know the hotel cannot help, but all the common areas are outside, so there was no place to hang out but our rooms. Also, 3 of our rooms had flooding due to the rain. We had to move rooms 3 times, and no matter what floor we were on, water got in. Could not keep any of our belongings on the floor. Service was the worst I can imagine. Would not bring us extra towels to clean up flooding on the floors. Rooms smelled musty. Everything felt muggy. Ridiculous reservation policy for dining rooms. You have to make a reservation at 10am the day before. Which means you 1. have to get up early, and 2. effectively cannot make a reservation the day of arrival. You can go stand by, but basically the restaurant host is on a power trip and wouldn't let us in even though there were visibly at least 10 open tables because we arrived 5 minutes late (because we were waiting at another restaurant in the hotel that got filled up because half the tables were unavailable due to rain). Had to speak with the manager just to get in to the restaurant. The food was not even good. We wound up eating dinner at restaurants not in the hotel, even though they were included.All advertised activities like trapeze were closed. Could't find a schedule of events anywhere. Staff unhelpful. When complaining at the front desk, one employee went in the back to print something and did not come back for 30 min. Rude, unhelpful, appauling. The list goes on...DO NOT GO HERE.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JAZ4444

Travelers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Springfield
Reviewed December 12, 2010

We had the time of our lives at Breezes in Nassau. We were a bit worried because of some of the reviews people wrote. We found our room to be very clean and anywhere you looked the staff was always cleaning and painting inside and out. The people that work there are friendly and helpful. There was a group of 16 of us that went to attend my son and now new daughter s wedding. That also was done to perfection and the pictures are beautiful. So much to do there that five days is not enough. We will be going back. Great price for a great vacation.

3 Thank Linda P
Langham
Reviewed December 12, 2010

We had such a good time at Breezes Resort and in Nassau Bahamas, we definately will be going back. The staff was so friendly and made sure everyone was having fun. Two of the entertainment squad especially made it so much fun. Bullet and KJ, they would stop and chat with us everyime they saw us, and really made an extra effort to make sure we were having fun. This message is for them (WAKA FLACKA) hahaha The resort could use updating and some repairs but everything else made up for it. The food was very good. The beaches were kept nice. Unfortuneatly the hot tub was either too hot to go in or not working. And the pools were chilly, but after baking in the hot sun for a few hours it felt good. After coming back home to Canada to a snow storm we are ready to go back..

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamaicaboundjan09
Chicago
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Just got back from Breezes Bahamas. First let me verify what others have said. The hotel hallways and elevators does have a swampy, musty type odor. This property might have some mold problems inside the walls. This needs to be fixed. My other complaint are the peddlers on the beach selling everything from jewelry, clothing, jet skiing trips and even Cuban cigars. I just want to relax in peace and I don't want to deal with pushy sales people. Food was nothing special and it is the same every day. Chicken, fish, rice, vegetable and pizza. Salad bar is also the same every day. Stick to the fruit selections. Drinks are fine but they serve them in a small plastic cup. Rooms are clean, no bed bugs I double checked. Entertainment is nothing like you get on a cruise ship, not even close.
This is not the Atlantis type resort, so go with the right expectations. Property management needs to fix the swampy smell ASAP!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank nightowl1517
Toronto
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I went from Nov 29th 0 Dec 6th with a friend for a girl's getaway to the Breezes Bahamas, and overall, it's a decent enough place but did underwhelm me based on what I expected from a "Breezes SuperClubs" resort. Overall, here were the Pros/Cons from our perspective...
PROS:
* Food was quite good - even (and especially) in the buffet. Everything I had tasted good, and there was a wide variety every day.
* Lots of things to do - I am the type of person who is quite happy to sit on the beach and read for a week, but I was quite impressed with the variety of things they had to offer in terms of activities/entertainment - staff run activities/contests, pool tables, ping pong, lots of board games, evening shows that were quite entertaining....and you never felt the pressure to partake if you didn't want to. They did a great job of this.
*Overall, the staff was quite friendly

CONS:
*It seems as though they are "letting the place go" a bit - the place looks like it could use a good paint job, the shower leaked, the TV reception was "grainy" (and wasn't fixed though the repairman who looked at said they would), and the place needs a fumigation as there was a big cockroach in our room (and I know that this is the Caribbean, but I've traveled a lot and never seen a roach before).
* Nassau itself seems a bit "tired" - lots of area hotels were very quiet, the downtown area needs a good paint-job, and the beach didn't seem particularly well maintained (seeing small pieces of broken glass were not uncommon, and there was a fair bit of seaweed on the sand)
* The weather on 4 of our 7 days would actually qualify as "cool" - ie. needing to wear pants and a jacket to stay warm...this was our own fault for not going further South at this time of year, but just a heads up to other travelers

Overall, I'd give the Breezes Bahamas a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. Not a bad place by any means, but it didn't impress me as I was hoping it would.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2010

When we first arrived at the hotel I though "hum, this place is a bit dated" but the service and food was really good, As time went by, I realized the employee's attitude to provide superior service far exceeded having a swanky room. The room was clean and comfortable but the service really impressed us. The entertainment, especially Hat man, was fun and encouraged everyone to be friendly. We will definately recommend it to our friends and hope to go back soon.

2 Thank MaryKrinhop
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas? Share your experiences!