“Comfortable and nice--but noisy!”

Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
GreenLeadersSilver level
Halifax, Canada
“Comfortable and nice--but noisy!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

An overall solid resort with a few pros and cons:

CONS:
Entertainment—I actually wasn’t a fan of the entertainment, but I’m in the minority. I don’t come to the Bahamas to listen to a Caribbean band cover songs that are popular in the US and Canada. I want to hear steel drums, traditional Baha music, etc. Integrating more truly Bahamian cultural shows into the nightly entertainment would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the staff—Some were great and so friendly and accommodating, and some treated you as if you were the most annoying person on the planet. On our last day, we had a flight to catch in the morning. We went down at 7:15AM (the full buffet breakfast opens at 7:30, continental at 6:30). All the platters of hot food were set out and ready to go, but when we went to grab some, the woman behind the counter said “put it down, we only open at 7:30!”. It was so…condescending. So instead, we waited, plates in hadn while the food was ready, for 7:30. When we tried again at 7:30, she snapped “It’s only 7:25, we’re still closed!” I and everyone around me had 7:30 on their watches, but instead she turned around to her staff and said “nobody open anything for another 5 minutes!” Honestly, that experience alone would be enough to persuade me not to go back to this hotel. I paid $1,700 for a one week stay, being chastised by the dining room staff wasn’t part of that deal.

The age group: I actually thought the Bahamas attracted a slightly more mature crowd compared to say, Cuba, but this resort was definitely rowdy and obnoxious at times. We unfortunately were there at the same time as a huge dance troupe (who looked like they were maybe 16 or 17). There was constant yelling and screaming, beer pong by the pool with vodka shots, and we were woken up at least 3 nights at 5AM by drunk people causing a huge racket as they yelled their way down the halls. Definitely not a low-key place.

The scheduling: The first bar only opens at 11AM here—which, when you’re on vacation (and like to space your drinks out a bit more so you’re not playing topless vodka-pong by the pool), is a bit late. I like a mimosa with breakfast and a cocktail by the ocean in the morning when I’m on vacation, and that didn’t quite work.

Housekeeping: we got to the hotel at 4PM (despite a scheduled arrival time of 11:00AM, due to flight delays) and none of our rooms were ready. Also, be forewarned—Housekeeping leaves the door to all of the rooms open on a floor when they start their rounds. Numerous times I went back to my room around 11AM and all the doors were open, the housekeeping trolley was in the corridor, but the housekeepers were in the staff room. This is not cool. They left the door on my sister’s room open—wide open-- for over 2 hours while they did the rounds changing towels. KEEP YOUR STUFF IN THE SAFE.

PROS:

Security: Security is awesome on this resort. They patrol the beach 24/7, and only guests of the resort are allowed on that beach. And trust me—they catch everybody who isn’t a guest. We saw them stop at least half a dozen people during our stay, who were guests at some neighbouring resorts. A kudos to Ricardo, who works security at the resort. He’s so friendly, funny, warm, welcoming, and he’s actually quite the historian on the Bahamas. Track him down if you can and ask him questions about the islands, he knows almost everything!

The staff: for the few bad apples, there were some really great ones too. Ms. Grant at the front desk upgraded one of our rooms to oceanfront for no charge. Ashton, in the main dining area, is awesome and so good at what he does. We purposely sat in his section whenever we could—he was a highlight on this trip. Marcel, the massage therapist, is one of the most warm, peaceful and unbelievable people I’ve ever met. Talk to him and get to know him—he loves grapefruit juice, so bring him one if you can. He’s the type of person you remember for the rest of your life, just an incredible being. The staff here in general also pays attention—somebody must have complained after the first night of people screaming in the hallways at 5AM, because for a few days after that, security was on our floor most of the night.

The grounds: The grounds are very well kept and clean, the proximity to the beach is awesome, the beach itself is fantastic, and everything is within close range—food, booze, sand, water, and your room.

The food: Some good stuff—I loved the local cuisine that they featured some nights, it was flavourful and delicious. The pool grill grub was also great, it was quick and tasty.

I’d probably stay here again, it was comfortable and a good stay but I think the Breezes needs to step up their game a bit with the Riu within the same price range, and now the new Bahamar opening right beside it in Dec. 2014.

Room Tip: oceanfront rooms are worth the surcharge--or you can play it by ear and askf or an upgrade when you...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisa W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,595)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
Reviewed January 19, 2014

A nice girls' vacation was planned and the Bahamas was the destination. We choose Breezes. The resort is all inclusive and u enjoyed ever facet of that. The native slang and jokes was told by Jerry "the Diva". The entertainment staff especially Ph had my nights filled with colourful and festive segments of entertainment.

The food and drinks are inclusive so I was baffled at the array of option. All the restaurants' food was delicious. The bartenders made me drinks that I know can not be imitated anywhere. The Bahamas Mama is my favorite.

I over ate and drank but the gym and all the activities help me to maintain my weight while having a beautiful trip.

I would do it all again because the nice, delightful front dress staff, bellman, bartenders, entertainment and restaurant staff made me feel like a great priority

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mamaplane
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Breezes resort is old smelly and outdated. Staff is friendly and try to be accommodating but there are no accommodations! Broken bed in room. Coffee maker with a molded coffee pack left in the filter for who knows how long. Food was bad. This is an all inclusive and they served the same food everyday. Couldn't get a reservation for the restaurant because everyday we tried they gave us a different time that the list was removed. The pool was dirty looking. Not inviting at all. Sheets and comforters with stains. Every morning housekeeping knocked and entered even though I sai said I'm still in the room because they wanted to collect dirty towels. So basically they were literally rewashing towels as we waited for them daily. 2 grand for fri to Monday stay would've been better spent on paradise island at any of the hotels there. Preferably the Atlantis. I booked with a group traveling to do a charity event. Otherwise I would not have been at Breezes. I've stayed at the Cove and Atlantis in the past when in the Bahamas. Disgusting hotel top to bottom. No Ice machines no vending. The only thing updated is the bathrooms in the rooms. Waste of money and vacation hours.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank lboogiephilly

Travelers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Missoula, Montana
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at breezes was above and beyond our expectations .We vacationed there from December 30, 2013 to January 10, 2014. Our first full day was New Year's Eve. WOW! What a celebration! It started with an amazing dinner that was beautiful and delicious; truly a work of art. We were served that night by Jarvis,one of the dining rooms best servers. Afterward, the house band Funky D and the Summer Breeze Band, put on a great show. That was followed by the Junkanoo parade and an amazing fireworks display. That was day one and the fun never let up! The entertainment was amazing every night. The piano bar was second to none. Holston Bain entertained us for many hours with his elegant playing and soulful vocals. We also enjoyed visiting with bartender extraordinaire Will Smith, who was extremely generous with his time and his stories of life in the Bahamas. There was not a single night that we weren't either in the piano bar or dancing to Funky D. On a good night we could fit in both.
The food was also above and beyond what we expected. All our meals were in the dining room or the pool grill. The food was delicious with a lot of variety. The presentation of the dining room food was unique and creative. Food was available almost 24/7 so there was never a reason to be hungry. The waitstaff included some very gracious and attentive staff. Deserving of special mention are Stacey, G.,Jarvis, Ashton and Polo. They made us feel like royalty.
Although the rooms were a bit dated, they we're clean and comfortable. We were on the sixth floor with an incredible view of the pool area and the beach. The grounds were kept clean and the beach was raked often.
All things considered, Breezes is a bargain and a great place to vacation.
We will certainly return as soon as possible.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth P
New York
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed here for 4 days in January 2014 with my fiancé and wish I would have paid more attention to the bad reviews about the rooms because they are right, unfortunately. Well let me start out with the many positive aspects about this resort first:

1. STAFF: is very friendly and accommodating. We were always greeted with a smile and a hello, which is nice especially since we are from NYC where its not so common. :)
2. FOOD: Delicious!! The main buffet has plenty to choose from and is well seasoned - tasty. Aside from the buffet there are 2 restaurants to choose from. We ate at the Garden of Eden, also good. The main dining hall seems to be newly painted, re-done, which is nice.
3. BEACH: Beautiful. The water is very calm, no waves, perfect for swimming. There is some seaweed but its not bothersome since it sits on the sea floor in certain areas (see photo, darker water is that with seaweed).
4. ENTERTAINMENT: Good! The crew does a great job at motivating people to get up and get involved, dance, or just watch the show. There's a singer as well who comes by after dinner in the main dining area. Cool guy, funny, and great voice. There are other activities (tennis court, basketball court (b-ball needed some air), ping pong, pool, board games).
5. ROOMS: Big disappointment. The rooms are old, worn/weathered, have very poor ventilation and are very humid/musty smelling. We initially thought it was just our room but after speaking to 4 other couples we found out they too had the same exact complaint. The furniture is dark and chipped - not very pleasant. Worst part is the bed. One of my pillows smelled like old wet clothes that were dried properly so we tossed it to the side. It did not allow for pleasant, comfortable sleep. Beds are also a bit hard. Not sure why so humid/musty but it seems like even the air vents must need to be cleaned and redone. Everything about the room was unpleasant and outdated. After being out all day on vacay I usually enjoy coming back to the room to relax and watch some TV or nap, but this room did not make for pleasant returns. It was uncomfortable.

OVERALL: The room was so uncomfortable due to the smell, that overall I cannot recommend this hotel. However, if you can tolerate a musty smelling room (if you don't plan to relax in the room at all), then it may not be so bad, considering how everything else was pretty good (food, staff, activities, beach).

Room Tip: If facing the ocean, higher rooms can bypass the odd trapeze structure on the beach.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lovely_beach_bum
resortgmNassau, General Manager at Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Lovely_Beach_Bun,
Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience.Your positive feedback relative to
our team,food,beach and entertainment are very much appreciated.We extend our apologies in
reference to the challenges highlighted in terms of your room.Extensive dampness is not a
continual concern as a new air conditioning system automatically adjusts temperatures in our rooms.
Despite the foregoing we will look at the specific accommodation and correct any challenges that
may exist.Our rooms are subject to ongoing and continual physical attention.Our Caribbean
Classic furniture is reflective of the natural woods of our region.We are sorry that this did not
meet with your favor.Flat screen televisions,coffee makers and a tropical decor are standard
for all of our rooms.The outfitting of our accommodations are consistent with world wide standards.
We thank you for sharing and giving us the opportunity to serve.
Jackson Weech
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 17, 2014

MONEY STOLEN from a locked in-room safe, no compensation or special accommodation instead had our room searched by security. Staff was notified and we were given a letter to simply contact their "insurance" broker.

Room Tip: Pick 2nd level
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mackenzie r
Dear Mackenzie R,
We acknowledge your posting relating to Breezes Bahamas.We are sorry that your vacation
was tainted by an alleged unauthorized entry to accommodation.An internal review,inclusive
of an interrogation of the entry lock revealed no intrusions.This matter has been passed to
insurers for further investigation.
Thank you for the feedback.
Regards,
Jackson Weech
General Manager.
London
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Me and a friend stayed here from 30 December 13 - 9 January 14. Overall we were impressed with the hotel - the bedrooms were spacious and the beds very comfy, plenty of daily activities and evening entertainment if that's your thing, good variety of food choices (we only ate in the buffet restaurant, which has recently been refurbished to a high standard), good location right on the beach, good pool area, sunloungers always available both around the pool and on the beach, all the staff were very friendly and helpful.
There were a few niggles - when we booked in October we requested a ground floor room, however, despite a further email directly to the hotel in November, no such room was available. This was disappointing. Also, housekeeping seemed to have a problem remembering to replace towels in our room. This happened on at least five occasions and it was pretty annoying when you go back to your room wanting a shower only to find no towels (yet again) and you then have to wait for HK to bring fresh ones.
However, as I said these were minor niggles. All in all, this hotel is good value for money situated on a beautiful beach.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SFK77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas? Share your experiences!