“Highlight of our weekend!”
Review of Straw Market

and up
Shore Excursion: Nassau Bahamas City Tour
Ranked #88 of 132 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: At this market you will find people weaving straw into anything and everything.
Reviewed September 27, 2017

I didn't know what more to expect outside of the reviews I had read about this place. It's right by Bay St shopping which was an added bonus to our day! The Straw Market is held inside a giant warehouse, some booths have fans and other halls are cooler than others. That's the only improvement I'd hope for is more fans because it gets HOT!

If you want raining compliments, take a walk around! Everywhere you turn, "Hey beautiful ladies, would you like to help start my day? T-shirts, hats, etc..." I didn't hate it! Lol! The locals really are so nice.

Yes, you will be approached left and right to buy things from everyone's booths but hey, it's their job! I don't mind it, we knew what we were walking into. My mother and I enjoy negotiating. That's what ya do here!

There's some BEAUTIFUL straw bags and other handmade pieces here. We went back a second day to get more for our friends and family back home because we loved it so much.

You can get souvenirs for decent prices, lower than other souvenir stores around. In the center of the market, there's a place to buy cold drinks which we definitely did! Decently priced, $2 for a coke.

We will definitely be back on our next visit to the Bahamas!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,793)

Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

I always go to the local market. Fun and lots of haggling. Did not buy anything there this time. Bought something from a hawker near the hotel. Lovely carvings at the straw market. Carvers work so hard - great to visit them

1  Thank Janine Z
Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

If you want a trinket to bring home with you visit the market. It’s a tight space with a lot of stuff to buy. The locals will negotiate with you so don’t settle for the first price. I would encourage to have cash broken down in smaller increments.

3  Thank jackiegodlock
Reviewed September 21, 2017

Good time, but be prepared to be pressured to buy. Prices start out about triple what you should pay. If you don't buy it at one stand you will see the item another 10 times so be careful with what you pay. Can be hot inside on a warm day.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 16, 2017

The Straw Market is fun and the local people are so friendly, but of course, they need to make a living so be prepared to be hassled into buying something!!! Located right in the center of town, it's an easy walk from the cruise ship terminal. We usually park at the Fish Fry which is a nice stroll past Junkanoo Beach into town.