“Plan to go for 10 minutes”
Review of Straw Market

$56.25*
Nassau Land and Sea Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #40 of 123 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: At this market you will find people weaving straw into anything and everything.
Portland, Oregon
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Plan to go for 10 minutes”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The straw market has hundreds of vendors who essentially have the same touristy items: towels, shot glasses, jewelry, bags, t-shirts, straw purses, etc. Most of the items don't seem to be from Nassau but perhaps imported from China.

I think it's worth a stop as you can walk to the market easily if you are on a cruise. We were there for about 10 minutes.

The vendors are very pushy at times, but nice. Most vendors are willing to barter. Honestly, my mom and I did not buy anything as we did not see anything we "had to have."

Visited January 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Straw Market...If You've Walked Down One Aisle, You've Done It All”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Like other reviewers have said, this is mostly a series of stalls selling cheap t-shirts and other stuff to tourists getting off cruise ships. We walked down one aisle. Then we walked down another...same stuff as the first. Lots of straw purses and bags with Disney and other characters on them...those items give the market its name. There were a couple of people making creative things like model cars out of old soda cans, and a number of other people doing carvings, which were interesting. Unfortunately, there seemed to be very little real "craft" items compared to the junk. It is worth a walk-through to say you've seen it. Something might catch your eye that you need to have, but don't budget more than 15 - 30 minutes.

1 Thank FrequentSleeper11
Portsmouth, Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Just like every other "Market"”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Unfortunately, we visited on Christmas Day so there was little to no activity going on in the Straw Market during our visit. The typical touristy things, with tshirts and other nonsensical junk is not worth checking out. There was one exception where my wife and I witnesses a lady making pieces out of dried leaves, so we bought a purse and ornament she had made. Don't forget to bargain with the salespeople or you'll most likely get ripped off.

1 Thank hr404
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Worth the look”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I enjoyed the locals and their handbags etc.They try to barter but take no for an answer.Tney were not pushy,if anything very happy to see tourists.I bought a Hello Kitty bag and am very pleases!

1 Thank katie1313
VA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“disillusioned”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was hoping to find artisans at this market place. what I found was very tired women asking you to buy tee shirts. endless piles of tee shirts, and some bags, jewelry stuff and junk souvenirs. even the stuff they were working on, had made in China stickers on it. they are pushy, but I am a super bargain buyer, I had to walk away from one seller who put anything i looked at in a bag and was insistent I needed to buy it all because I seemed to like it so much. that does not work on me. but, if you find something you do need, you can get a good price but you can get that same good price off the rack on the stores on Bay street. so pick you type of shopping. I did get sick of hearing "pretty lady come buy this" "sexy lady buy this". they need new lines. even they seemed tire of saying it.
pack your wallet with folded small bills and only take out the fold you need.
carry some singles or change to hand to children that sit by their mothers while they work.
if they say an items is on sale for $10 and regularly $12, its probably going to end up costing you $8.