“Lots of touristy things” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Nassau Bahamas Highlights Tour
Ranked #38 of 123 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: At this market you will find people weaving straw into anything and everything.
Centennial, Colorado
205 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 215 helpful votes
“Lots of touristy things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had to walk through to come and go from cruise ship. Typical tourist trap with pushy vendors. If you are looking for T-shirts etc., hair braiding etc. this is the place for you. We were not looking for any such thing and just found it a bit of a road block. Very crowded, I can't imagine how hot it would be on a hot day.

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Same stuff everywhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

It is mildly interesting to walk through a see what it is, but that is about it. 5 minutes is all you need. Same sorts of merchandise at all of the vendors, not much of which is of interest.

1 Thank Andy C
Birmingham, Alabama
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“All your senses will be bombarded at once!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Over the years my wife (and I occasionally) would venture through the Straw Market. Last month, November '11, I deferred and let her go it alone. We agreed to meet in front of the market in one hour. I found an internet cafe and checked my emails. After about 30 minutes, I walked back to our meeting point and found my wife already there. She said it was a total waste of time, a human zoo, and full of agressive, abusive, vendors. As an "I want to see it", we went through two aisles; receiving loud "look at my display", pulling on our arms, derogatory remarks (i.e. calling my wife a B....ch) when we said NO, and visualizing every known souvenir that could possibly be made in China. There was nothing that could be portrayed as a local product. Rather than confront the trash mouthed vendor and end up in the Nassau jail, I was persuaded by my wife to leave. This place is a mockery of craftmanship; nothing more than a very large and cheap souvenir shop. For those that enjoy thing made in China, being shoved and pushed, and insulted; this is the place.

3 Thank CaptainRonn
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Loved all the Vendors at the new Sratw Market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had read that the vendors were aggressive and pushy but we found just the opposite. They were all friendly and helpful even referred us to other vendors if they did not have exactly what we were looking for. We joked, bargained, asked to stop and start all over with our bargaining, Shared laughter and hugs and had the best time. There were painters painting and selling at the same time. Wood carvers carving what they were selling right in front of you and the vendors were very honest about telling you if they were the maker of something or if it was purchased by them for resale. I think if you go early in the day before it is too hot and go expecting a good time then that is what you will find.

1 Thank dorotxy
Halifax, NS
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Good market - but same stuff throughout”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Worth going - good for knicknacks and stuff for kids and friends. They always bargain. Clean. They aren't too pushy. Always felt safe. Taxi drivers were good. Lots of shops around market.