Straw Market
$56.25*
Nassau Land and Sea Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #40 of 129 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: At this market you will find people weaving straw into anything and everything.
Reviewed December 5, 2012

It is mildly interesting to walk through a see what it is, but that is about it. 5 minutes is all you need. Same sorts of merchandise at all of the vendors, not much of which is of interest.

1  Thank Andy C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Over the years my wife (and I occasionally) would venture through the Straw Market. Last month, November '11, I deferred and let her go it alone. We agreed to meet in front of the market in one hour. I found an internet cafe and checked my emails. After about 30 minutes, I walked back to our meeting point and found my wife already there. She said it was a total waste of time, a human zoo, and full of agressive, abusive, vendors. As an "I want to see it", we went through two aisles; receiving loud "look at my display", pulling on our arms, derogatory remarks (i.e. calling my wife a B....ch) when we said NO, and visualizing every known souvenir that could possibly be made in China. There was nothing that could be portrayed as a local product. Rather than confront the trash mouthed vendor and end up in the Nassau jail, I was persuaded by my wife to leave. This place is a mockery of craftmanship; nothing more than a very large and cheap souvenir shop. For those that enjoy thing made in China, being shoved and pushed, and insulted; this is the place.

3  Thank CaptainRonn
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had read that the vendors were aggressive and pushy but we found just the opposite. They were all friendly and helpful even referred us to other vendors if they did not have exactly what we were looking for. We joked, bargained, asked to stop and start all over with our bargaining, Shared laughter and hugs and had the best time. There were painters painting and selling at the same time. Wood carvers carving what they were selling right in front of you and the vendors were very honest about telling you if they were the maker of something or if it was purchased by them for resale. I think if you go early in the day before it is too hot and go expecting a good time then that is what you will find.

1  Thank dorotxy
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Worth going - good for knicknacks and stuff for kids and friends. They always bargain. Clean. They aren't too pushy. Always felt safe. Taxi drivers were good. Lots of shops around market.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Strawmarket isn't what it used to be. It's under a permanent roof and you just walk from one very little booth to the next. Seeing the market used to be a pleasant way to spend a few hours. Now, well, give it about ten minutes and move on to something else. What you see in the first booth you go in, you will see for the most part in all the rest. Now it's just one little junk store after another. If you have to decide on what to see while in the area, and this is a consideration, pick something else as it's not worth the time spent. A WORD OF WARNING!!! They have women walking around the area who will try to get you to leave the market and go with them to nearby stores. This is especially true of women looking to purchase a knock off designer handbag which are no longer available for sale in the market. If you go, remember ladies, these bags are not the real deal. While some look OK, don't pay what you think is a bargain price and expect it to be a real designer bag. So if someone offers you a "Coach" etc. for $100, it's not a real "Coach". If you allow one of the ladies to take you to a local shop, she will hang with you and try to get you to go to others if you don't purchase in the first. These ladies get a kick back on the sales they can get tourists to make. If you do decided to get a hat, or trinket, don't pay full price. I did need a hat for converable riding and got one there. I went into store #1 where the hat was priced at $20 and offered $15. The shop owner told me "no" so I moved on. At store #3 I bought the same $20 hate for $14. We've all heard the term buyer beware, so take it to heart.

2  Thank barbaragwen270