“Historical site worth the effort”
Review of Queen's Staircase

and up
Nassau Land and Sea Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #15 of 129 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: This limestone staircase was built by slaves to honor Queen Victoria's help in the abolition of slavery in the Bahamas.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We walked from the pier to fort following the historical route map provided by the tourist information office ! The most interesting site is the Queen' s Staircase and the shade it provided was a welcome bonus on a hot and sunny afternoon !
It is a mix of historical landmark and garden and used as a path to the fort area by locals !

1  Thank belleretraite
Write a ReviewReviews (1,716)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"within walking distance"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Try to avoid all of the vendors and panhandlers. This is definately worth the detour. Getting to the Queen's Staircase is a bit sketch. I suggest taking a taxi. Once you are there, it is a beautiful little gem in Nassau. Pretty waterfall, garden and wildlife.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

If you are taking this venture on your own, get good directions! Or- do what we wish we would have done- find a tour group to go with. We got 'directions' from our hotel concierge who made it seem like no big deal to venture out on our own (husband & I). Took the jitney, started walking (knowing which roads to take) and after not too long we found ourselves outside of the tourist filled streets and felt like we were walking around with targets on our backs. There were places with no sidewalks & we were walking in the streets! It was right around the noon hour so it should have been perfectly fine to go during that time of day, however, we took the route that led us past the Police Headquarters- you would think this would make us feel safer- but it did not. We found ourselves being pointed down a residential street being only led by a sign. This street was filled with alley's and was not, shall we say, the nicest of streets. It gave us such a bad feeling that we turned around and immediately got back to the main streets as quickly as possible! I am sad to say we did not make it, our attempt was foiled by bad directions. It sounds like if we had gone way of the hospital it would have been fine. This is no place to be walking around by yourself unless you are absolutely confident in what you are doing. Be careful, next time we come back, we won't make the same mistake as I am still determined to see this, we just waited until our last day of this trip.

1  Thank TSBS_0811
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Beautiful, strange and historic stairs. Amazing plants and trees and terrific view from the top of the fort!

1  Thank Edward B
See more reviews
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Merely looking at the picturesque photos of Queen's Staircase, this was a must-see attraction for me during my visit to Nassau. Upon walking towards Queen's Staircase by Princess Margaret Hospital, a local named 'Brian' approached us aggressively to give us a tour, saying that he is a licensed tour guide and flashed his ID to give us a sense of legitimacy. My three friends and I were hesitant to follow him as he aggressively kept saying "let's go, c'mon follow along" clenching his teeth irritated by our sluggishness to follow him. I eventually whispered to my friends "Let's just follow along", knowing that he just wanted a tip from us based on previous tripadvisor reviews. Brian then snapped at me for "spoiling my friends' minds" and his words towards me started to turn very nasty. In a foreign country when encountering a semi hostile stranger like that, my friends stayed to listen to his spiel at the entrance of this gorgeous site while out of frustration, I walked away. My friend eventually gave him $1 and he left. We went up the stairs to see Fort Fincastle and on our way down, we saw Brian again and he was shouting very ill and mean comments about me.

I hope your experience will be much better than mine. The site is truly beautiful and something magically unexpected wedged between the streets of Nassau.

5  Thank travelerr90