“Worst experience of our whole, 10 day trip!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Conch Fritters
Ranked #153 of 271 Restaurants in Nassau
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bahamian, American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Seattle, Washington
“Worst experience of our whole, 10 day trip!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Terrible experience here on our trip to Paradise Island/Nassau in September ( I know, finally getting around to writing it!). The hubby and I had been standing outside the restaurant using the wifi to shoot off a quick email to our families, letting them know all was well. We actually felt kind of bad just using their wifi, so we decided to go inside and get a drink while we finished our email. We sat down, and my husband ordered a beer and I a coke. $7 beer and $3 coke. A little overpriced, but whatever, a lot of the food and drinks were overpriced in Nassau (in my opinion), which is why we opted for an all-inclusive hotel (definitely worth it if staying in Nassau or paradise Island! Food is EXPENSIVE!). So we order our drinks, and when the (very rude) waitress comes to take our food order, we nicely explained we had just eaten, but wanted to have a drink and relax (the place was empty, by the way, with one other couple eating there, so its not like we were taking up space...) She rudely explained that in order to use the wifi we had to order food. At that point we were like, no way, we aren't even hungry, this place must be empty for a reason, and this server is a complete jerk. We said sorry, but we were almost done sending off a quick email and then we'd pay and leave. Without a word, she glared at us, raced over to a back room area and SHUT OFF THE WIFI to the whole restaurant! Really?? The other couple who was there (and eating) complained about the wifi being gone, and I couldn't hear her response but she POINTED at us (who have both worked in the industry and are VERY nice and understanding to all who work in restaurants). We asked for our check, which should have been $10 for the beer and coke. She wouldnt bring us a paper check but siad the total was $15. I said um, excuse me, the coke $3 and the beer $7? How is that $15? She said oh, gratuity. I was like there is NO WAY I am paying you a 50% tip when I just had my worst restaurant experience EVER. She continued to argue, and threatened to call the cops if we left without paying, so we ended up leaving her $12 (still too much in my opinion) and left. As soon as we walked out the WIFI was turned back on, so we continued to use it standing outside,a s we obviously should have done from the begging, had our consciences not gotten in the way. I sincerely hope this joke of a server has been fired by now!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kami M

• Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
“Great ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great ambiance. It felt like a place to hang out with friends, enjoy good food and be served by friendly staff.

Visited June 2013
Cary, North Carolina
“Small portions, rude waiter, not worth the time or money.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

My son and I ate here during our time in Nassau with Carnival. The food portions were very small and overpriced (small, greek salad for $14.95 - it was more of a side salad). My son did love the Fried Grouper Sandwich, but lunch for the two of us ended up costing $64.00.

The waiter was very hurried (despite the fact that it was not crowded) and seemed impatient and rushed to deal with us. Once the bill arrived, I completed the tip portion of the credit card and left. The waiter chased us down on the sidewalk outside, explained that I could not add a tip to the bill because that's not their normal practice. He proceeded to show me where he crossed out that portion on the signed slip and asked for cash instead.

Would not recommend eating here in Nassau. Find a more local, more authentic location to haved lunch.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kristy N
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Conch Fritters with lack of conch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

The place is located right in front of British Colonial Hilton hotel , so you can always find there some lazy hotel guests who prefer just to jump in the first place they saw instead of walking further and looking for any other ..
Comparing with other local fast food places Conch Fritters looks pretty tidy and well kept. Conch shells, coconuts, tradition Bahamian colors..
We went there with a strong wish to try famous Bahamian conch salad and conch chowder..
None of them were available.... New England clam chowder also been gone.. So we had to go again for fried option like we did previous night. Cracked conch was not bad, but the amount of bread over-exceed amount of conch 5 times.. The grouper had muddy taste, so also was disappointing. The burger was good though- juicy pink meat with bbq sause.. But after my white wine finally arrived with 15 min time delay beeing warm and semi-sweet... I decided no more than 2 stars..

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sanford, Florida
“Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had the grouper sandwich and it was VERY good but my sister had the fried clams and it was just ok which makes this place average. The service was just ok. I would go back for the grouper but only because I now know how good it is.

• Visited August 2012