“Costliest Food which tasted good”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #51 of 312 Restaurants in Nassau
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We are in Bahamas now on our Honeymoon trip. My wife was very much interested in Indian food rather than much Seafood. We searched and found a Indian restaurant and felt very happy. We got down at downtown Nassau and started walking towards the address mentioned. But Google Maps as well as Apple Maps were showing at different places (Incorrect location). Finally with some help from others we reached the restaurant.
The ambience was good and a Hindi song was played which was repeated 10 times till the time we left the restaurant. The Food was 'Above Average', but my wife didn’t like it.
Looking at the Bill, i was surprised. It was $50 for a Naan & a curry. They say that they put a Gratuity on every order unlike what happens in US (In US only for people above 5, Gratuity is calculated). It was very expensive and the dinner was not a worth of 50 bucks.
We couldn’t eat more there and took a ToGo. They took 20minutes for getting the Bill and took 15min for getting my Credit card back. They billed me a extra item which i didn’t order. I had to correct the Bill once.

On an overall, if you have more money and want to taste a Indian food, go to this restaurant.
I know that in tourist places like Bahamas, people don’t care about money, but i am an Budget traveller, for me, it was so expensive.

1  Thank Srikanth N

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We love this place. Their food is always consistently good, service is friendly, and portions are equal to the cost. But beware they like to make things spicy, so if you don't like a lot of heat order mild.

3  Thank ECdS
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been traveling to the Bahamas on business (and pleasure) for over twenty years and love this place. Have gone there many, many times with local & expat friends and it is a favorite. The owner, Peter, took over the business from his former partner; previous restaurant was called Gaylords and was in an old colonial home in a different part of the city. Its current location was formerly "The Green Shutters Pub", hence its pub ambiance.

Like any restaurant, consistency is key. Many of the less kindly reviews appear to be from one time visitors. If you go there regularly, its a different story. I was disapoiinted only once in dozens of dinners there, fish curry was off. Every other other time was outstanding.

I know Indian food pretty well; there are many Indian reataurants where i live in NJ due to a large Indian population in the area. Have also been to many others in many cities in US, Canada, Dubai, England, and India itself.

Like everything in Nassua (except smaller local places), it is not inexpensive, but good Indian food is always pricier than other types, from my experience. It is certainly not the most expensive place you can dine in Nassua or Paradise Island either. I've been to many good restaurants there and they are all pricey. Its an island tourist town and most things are imported, adding to the cost.

This is a very good place if you like authentic Indian cuisine.

2  Thank kenneth k
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We ordered fish curry (grouper) and chicken korma, garlic nan, 4 cokes (2 each). The bill came to $72 including 15% mandatory tip. (We felt this was over priced but to be fair - overpricing was not unusual for Nassau.)

Clean and good atmosphere. Old English pub style. Slightly off the beaten track.

Not going to blow the indian food lover away but pretty good standard for Caribbean. The only Indian on island if you have a craving.

1  Thank William C
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The restaurant is quite elegant. The service was prompt and waitresses were cordial. The vegetarian food we ordered was very tasty and authentic Indian. We were very happy with the food and service.

2  Thank palur