“Get A Real Taste Of The Island” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fish Fry's

Fish Fry's
Ranked #30 of 272 Restaurants in Nassau
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bar, Seafood, Bahamian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Port Washington, New York
“Get A Real Taste Of The Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

The entire set of Arawak Cay restaurants serve genuine Bahamian food at reasonable prices in a relaxed, casual atmosphere. Taste real Bahamian food here!

Visited November 2013

Dacula, Georgia
“Don't do it. I don't understand all of the positive reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have never felt compelled to write a review before, but I have to set the record straight about the Nassau Fish Fry. On my recent vacation, this group of restaurants was recommended to us by cabbies and storekeepers at pretty much every turn. Based upon all of the glowing recommendations, we decided to check it out for dinner.

It should be pointed out that the "Fish Fry" is not a restaurant, but rather a collection of small restaurants. When we got out of the cab, we were immediately besieged by hucksters trying to steer us into their particular restaurant. There were also a number of highly intoxicated locals who were nearly passed out in the common outside area. It felt very sketchy and unsafe, especially since we had children with us.

We wound up going to Candies, due to the charisma of their salesman, who insisted his restaurant had been featured on a number of "name brand" food and travel television programs. We knew it was probably puffery, but we still chose his place, because we had to choose somewhere, and he was a colorful character, and we liked him.

It was all downhill from there.

As soon as we sat down, our order was promptly taken. A terrible smell would periodically "waft" across the table. there was some disagreement whether it smelled like sewage or dog excrement, but it was awful. Local salesmen came by one after the next to try to sell us an our kids cigars and assorted junk. We held out hope that the food would be redeeming, but before it ever came, we saw two giant rats scampering around the tables. Yuck. I love local places, and dives, and I will tolerate a lot, but giant rats is where I draw the line.

We attempted to cancel our food, but they wouldn't let us, and we felt very unsafe to refuse to pay, so we paid (a lot) and left. Lesson learned. Nassau was great, but don't get suckered into this highly unsafe tourist trap.

5 Thank JTS927
Fort Myers, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“delicious seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

my wife and I shared the seafood platter. The grilled lobster was superb along with the conch shrimp and fish. I am now officially in love with bahamian mac and cheese.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Fried Seafood Festival.....every day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Lots of local fried fish. Lots of different small establishments to choose from. I felt it was expensive and average food. Its an OK place for lunch, i feel there are nicer, more upscale options, with better food at similar prices. There were many locals milling about, many street vendors approaching you to sell their "stuff". Lots of frozen drinks and reggae music. If this review helps your planning, please leave me a helpful vote

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Slayridez06
Toronto
“Best conch ceviche this side of town!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

The Fish Fry is a restaurant area with a mix of restaurants. We ate lunch at Candies last Wednesday. I had the best conch ceviche among other tasty foods. The conch ceviche kiosk serves freshly made conch ceviche prepared in front of you. We were still thinking about which restaurant to eat when we were persuaded by someone working for the restaurant. I did not set my expectations ahead of time since I know that this area is about local cuisine not haute cuisine. There was five of us in our party, the food was very good, and the portions were large. There are many locals in this area, they are very friendly and nice. Take some time and walk around this area and soak up the atmosphere.

• 4 of 5 bubbles