“Best place we found in Atlantis”
Review of Nobu

Nobu
Ranked #13 of 286 Restaurants in Nassau
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Best place we found in Atlantis”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We came here for dinner on our second night in Atlantis after two terrible meals at Cafe Martinique and Olives, so we were overjoyed when we discovered that Nobu actually has good food--so much so that we came back here for our last dinner too rather than trying a new place.

Over both nights, we had:

Sashimi of mackerel, anago, and live conch
Sushi of uni, ikura, octopus, mackerel, and anago
Squid "pasta"
"Nobu style" cracked conch
Mushroom toban yaki
Mixed vegetable tempura (shojin)
One seafood tempura (don't remember which one--maybe squid)

Everything was excellent. Having lived in Vancouver and Seattle and travelled through Japan, I know exactly what high-quality Japanese food tastes like, and this was the real deal. I was pleasantly surprised--shocked, in fact--that everything seemed to be very fresh despite many of the items we ordered being non-native to the Bahamas (I presume). Especially the uni; previously-frozen uni is easily recognizable by being watery and bland, which this wasn't. You could serve this same food in sushi-loving cities and it would do great.

The "Nobu style" cracked conch was basically just conch tempura, but it was very good, and WAY better than the cracked conch we had at Cafe Martinique.

The one significant disappointment was the sake selection. The Atlantis website says that 'the hidden "jewel" of Nobu is the sake cellar', so I had imagined they would have a dedicated sake menu with a wide variety of selections. The reality was laughable: a single page with no more than about ten sake choices and only two in our price range, followed by page after page of wines and other alcohol that I had no interest in having with sushi. And they only had a single sake cocktail.

Also, I noticed a fair number of service problems--even for Atlantis. For example:

- Our sake bottles were kept in a standing ice bucket containing other bottles from other tables (an accident waiting to happen). It seems to be standard practice on Paradise Island to keep bottles in standing ice buckets, but this is the only place where our bottle was sharing a bucket with someone else's.
- On the first night, my wife ordered a shot of vodka and it was served in a water glass. Then a waiter topped it up with water. (Of course, they replaced it free of charge.)
- Each night, our server (a different person each night) did not recognize the correct pronunciation of anago, so I had to repeat myself a couple times. On the first night, our server nearly ordered us the wrong thing. If it weren't for the fact that he repeated what he thought he had heard, I wouldn't have caught it.

That we came back despite these problems ought to tell you just how good the food was!

The first night we spent $230 and the second night we spent $280 (including alcohol and mandatory 15% gratuity). They were our two most expensive meals on Atlantis, but not by a ton. The other "fine dining" meals we had were all between $195 and $220.

If you like Japanese food and you can choose only one expensive place to eat on Atlantis, choose this one!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Tristan S

New York City
“Very Good, but...”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I am a HUGE fan of Nobu, and maybe a little biased because I live in NYC, and by far it is the best one. This Nobu was good. Some dishes such as the lobster tacos, sushi, and beef kushiyaki were amazing, however, the conch ceviche was awful (conch was tough to chew, and the flavor was so acidic it made your eyes water). The desserts were good, not great. The service was pretty good. Our waiter Dexter was attentive, and the food came out quickly. They were quick to fill your wine glass and water glass, and to take plates away as necessary.

Here are the cons: dirty tables everywhere (no sense of urgency when it came to cleaning them), extremely loud, after each course they didn't change your plate, drunk patrons hanging out near the bar dropping glasses, and the worst part of the evening was the obnoxious greeter!!

I'm sorry, but if you are the greeter/hostess, it is your job to put a smile on your face, no matter how miserable you are. After you give her your name/reservation, don't expect her to say two words to you, not even a "your table will be ready shortly."

• Visited February 2014
Upland, California
“Incredible”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We dined at Nobu for a friend's rehearsal dinner and I can't say enough about the experience. Endless courses but the one I'm still craving was their specialty Miso Black Cod. The presentation was fantastic. It came wrapped in a palm leaf and it was one of the best dished I've ever tasted. I didn't think it would be possible to have dessert but when the chocolate lava cake arrived paired with green tea ice cream I couldn't resist and it was fantastic as well. If I ever have get the chance to go back to Atlantis I'll have a hard time eating anywhere but Nobu.

Visited July 2013
“Like all of his restaurants, excellent!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Was super happy to get a reservation at the last minute here. Went early and had a wonderful round of drinks at the bar and then sat just in front of the sushi bar. Our waiter was great, made perfect suggestions and paced the food well. I love Nobu's and have been to 3 others. I was so happy to taste some of my favorite dishes again and try new ones. We all had a great time. Our table was situated well for people watching which is always fun at a Nobu. Can't wait to travel again to another….

Visited January 2014
Toronto
“You know what you're getting..”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I'm a big fan of Nobu and was excited to visit the Atlantis location. Located adjacent to the casino, the restaurant is stylish, modern, dimly lit and within minutes you forget the slots are close by. We sat in the back of the restaurant with a view of the marina and we couldn't hear the casino racket. Food is expensive, but very good. We ordered a garlic shrimp dish that was delicious. Sashimi was great and sushi was just okay. Don't bother with their suggestion of the conch roll. It wasn't very good. Nice thing about dining here is that you can walk through the hotel, shops, marina before and after dinner. Service is very friendly. If you are not a guest at the Atlantis you can only make a reservation on the day of your visit. We didn't order dessert. We chose to walk around the Marina shops and grabbed an ice cream at Ben and Jerry's. Nassau is not known for great cuisine. Sticking with a sure thing like Nobu ensures a quality dining experience.

• Visited January 2014
Thank Take my word for it...