“Absolutely Amazing!!!!”

Ranked #19 of 309 Restaurants in Nassau
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2014

While vacationing in the Bahamas this past week, we unexpectedly stumbled upon this amazing restaurant. Back tracking a little, we went deep fishing on morning and caught 3 fish: 2 black-fin tuna and 1 Wahoo. Before the captain dropped us off, he asked what time we wanted to eat our fish and after saying around 7 he said someone will pick us up then. We weren't told any details other than to be ready by 7. That was the exciting part, we didn't know what to expect so it was an adventure. Sure enough, at 7 sharp we got a phone call saying our ride was here. When we went to the parking lot we were greeted by Oscar! His personality immediately captured our attention. He drove us all the way to the other side of the island (we were staying in Cable Beach) to where the restaurant was... telling us the menu and recommending food to eat. He gave us a brief history of the restaurant and the island and even mentioned his birthday was the next day! When he dropped us off he told us that he would give us a ride back all we had to do was tell our waiter that we needed Oscar. After being seated, we told the waiter the fish we caught and sure enough, about 30 minutes later this HUGE platter of fish was delivered to us. They prepared our fish 3 different ways: blackened, grilled, and fried and also served us with a plate of rice, green beans, and carrots. It was absolutely delicious!!!!! Not only were we eating our food that we caught earlier that day, it was prepared so perfectly that we would have NEVER been able to cook it that way ourselves! After eating dinner, Oscar came and greeted us again and when we were ready, he took us back! IT DIDN'T COST A THING FOR THE RIDE! But we definitely tipped him well for not only having the best customer service I have ever experienced, but also since the ride was complementary with the food!! I absolutely loved this restaurant and absolutely recommend it to anyone and everyone visiting the Bahamas.

Once again, HUGE thanks to Oscar for making that experience nearly perfect from start to finish!!!

1  Thank Mollie C

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Restaurants in Nassau are having a tough time getting tourists to come from Paradise Island where restaurants are very expensive. Montagu Gardens will send a driver in a white dress shirt and bow tie to pick you up and bring you home. The setting is very nice in an old house overlooking a garden that is used for large events. We had Conch chowder and blackened Grouper ($18) with the house fries which was excellent and very reasonable. The wine was $20-30. The service was attentive and the driver waiting to take us home at the end. The decor could use an update but is quite acceptable. Overall, one of the best values on the island.

1  Thank Brian B
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Celebrated New Year's Eve here. Had snapper which was very good. It was a very generous serving. I brought half of it home. The guava cheese cake was excellent. They will pick you up at your hotel and take you back.

1  Thank sisterfrog
Reviewed January 1, 2014

In looking for menus that were attractive to us and would get us away from Atlantis, we came across Montagu Gardens. What caught my eye were the reasonable prices and the reports that they would pick you up and return you to your hotel. That alone saves you over $23 in taxi costs.

We called in a reservation and were pleased to be picked up at the Royal Towers on time by Oscar. After a brief stop to pick up two more couples at the Coral Towers, Oscar waxed enthusiastically about Nassau and the history of Montagu Gardens. He also described many of the things on the menu.

The restaurant occupies the first floor of the mansion. It is not huge, but tables are adequately spaced. They had decorated for Christmas, so the place was warm and inviting. Maybe 25% of the tables were occupied, including several larger family groups of locals. They do a big business with civic events, corporate parties, etc., and had something going on with a band in an outdoor courtyard (separated from the building by trees).

We were seated immediately on arrival, given menus quickly, and then the waitress disappeared. About 10 minutes later, a waiter asked if we were being helped. When we said we didn't think so, we saw him go to talk with someone and then he came back to our table with what Oscar had promised was delicious garlic bread. He stuck with us for the rest of the meal and was very accommodating.

This was one of the few restaurants that offered snapper fillet. Most places served the whole fish. My wife loves snapper and we were looking forward to finally having it on this, our 5th and last night in the area, but they did not have any! I settled on the blackened Bahamian grouper. The fish was good with a thin, tame coating of spices. My wife decided to just have a side dish of grilled vegetables.

I also decided I couldn't leave Nassau without trying the Conch Chowder. I wish I had made that decision on the first night. The soup was very tasty with a tomato base, small vegetables, and spices. What caused me to love it is the very close resemblance to Maryland crab soup. The stocks were very similar! And, like Maryland crab soup, there was very little discernible conch in the bowl. To be honest, I've had many bowls of crab soup with little crab in it, so it might be a combination of how much seafood they put in the pot and how much it was stirred when they filled your bowl.

When we got our bill, I called the waiter over and told him I was unhappy with it. He had forgotten to charge for the vegetable side dish. I really think he was new, because he went off to talk with someone again. When he came back, the bill was unchanged and he said not to worry about it. I didn't (but I did add the cost of the dish to the tip).

Oscar was on a run, so another waiter returned us to our hotel. We were glad to be taken for a ride!

2  Thank thatvideoguy
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Although they could use a better sign and a few more lights outside, all our meals were outstanding and the prices were extremely reasonable. The blackened grouper and grouper almandine were the winners at our table!