“Get Taken For A Ride”

Montagu Gardens Steak & Grill
Ranked #26 of 278 Restaurants in Nassau
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood, Bahamian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rockville, MD
“Get Taken For A Ride”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

In looking for menus that were attractive to us and would get us away from Atlantis, we came across Montagu Gardens. What caught my eye were the reasonable prices and the reports that they would pick you up and return you to your hotel. That alone saves you over $23 in taxi costs.

We called in a reservation and were pleased to be picked up at the Royal Towers on time by Oscar. After a brief stop to pick up two more couples at the Coral Towers, Oscar waxed enthusiastically about Nassau and the history of Montagu Gardens. He also described many of the things on the menu.

The restaurant occupies the first floor of the mansion. It is not huge, but tables are adequately spaced. They had decorated for Christmas, so the place was warm and inviting. Maybe 25% of the tables were occupied, including several larger family groups of locals. They do a big business with civic events, corporate parties, etc., and had something going on with a band in an outdoor courtyard (separated from the building by trees).

We were seated immediately on arrival, given menus quickly, and then the waitress disappeared. About 10 minutes later, a waiter asked if we were being helped. When we said we didn't think so, we saw him go to talk with someone and then he came back to our table with what Oscar had promised was delicious garlic bread. He stuck with us for the rest of the meal and was very accommodating.

This was one of the few restaurants that offered snapper fillet. Most places served the whole fish. My wife loves snapper and we were looking forward to finally having it on this, our 5th and last night in the area, but they did not have any! I settled on the blackened Bahamian grouper. The fish was good with a thin, tame coating of spices. My wife decided to just have a side dish of grilled vegetables.

I also decided I couldn't leave Nassau without trying the Conch Chowder. I wish I had made that decision on the first night. The soup was very tasty with a tomato base, small vegetables, and spices. What caused me to love it is the very close resemblance to Maryland crab soup. The stocks were very similar! And, like Maryland crab soup, there was very little discernible conch in the bowl. To be honest, I've had many bowls of crab soup with little crab in it, so it might be a combination of how much seafood they put in the pot and how much it was stirred when they filled your bowl.

When we got our bill, I called the waiter over and told him I was unhappy with it. He had forgotten to charge for the vegetable side dish. I really think he was new, because he went off to talk with someone again. When he came back, the bill was unchanged and he said not to worry about it. I didn't (but I did add the cost of the dish to the tip).

Oscar was on a run, so another waiter returned us to our hotel. We were glad to be taken for a ride!

2 Thank thatvideoguy

Mattawan, Michigan
“Great meal & Reasonable prices!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Although they could use a better sign and a few more lights outside, all our meals were outstanding and the prices were extremely reasonable. The blackened grouper and grouper almandine were the winners at our table!

Visited December 2013
“Best Conch Fritters in the Bahamas!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Went here with my girlfriend, we had been in the Bahamas for over a week and visited many restaurants including the Flying Fish. I can safely say so far this is the best tasting food we ate! Be warned the portions are huge we ended up taking the main course home and eating it for lunch next day. The waiters are really friendly and polite and will happily give you takeaway cartons to carry your food home! We loved this restaurant !

Visited December 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We wanted to try a local fair while in the Bahamas and went to this restaurant based on Trip Advisor Reviews. What a nightmare! Pickup was 45 minutes late, service was terrible at the restaurant, food was fair at best and the courtesy driver left us at the restaurant. The waiter had to drive us back to our hotel. The restaurant closes at 10pm at exactly 10 pm the kitchen door locked and our waiter could not enter the kitchen to clear our dirty dishes. This is a must skip in my opinion.

1 Thank blboston
Virginia
“Great food and staff”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This was our third time at Montagu Gardens. Last time we were in Nassau, we went twice because we enjoyed it so much the first time. This time, we were so excited to go back and it completely lived up to our expectations. The food was delicious and portions were huge! It was a little pricey but everything is in Nassau and on Paradise Island. Compared to other restaurants, it's cheap! The restaurant also provides taxi service from your hotel to the restaurant and back to the hotel afterwards. Ask for Oscar- he's so entertaining and talkative!

1 Thank se93