“Perfect Escape to Greek Food!”
Review of Athena Cafe & Bar

Athena Cafe & Bar
Ranked #3 of 280 Restaurants in Nassau
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Bahamian, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Bay Street, Athena cafe offers the authentic greek cuisine with a Bahamian flare. Not only you can find the traditional greek favorites here but also Bahamian delicacies such as conch, snapper, grouper and lobster! We are a true, family operated business that want everyone to feel like family as soon as they enter. Have a choice to sit at our cosy bar, our air conditioned dining room or the lively verandah.
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Perfect Escape to Greek Food!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

This made my second time visiting this restaurant and it impressed me yet again! The ambience and service in Athena is wonderful. It also an escape from mayhem of tourists galore. The food is beautifully presented and tasty!! (Try the lemonade, lamb gyro, and baklava with ice cream!) It is priced fairly for the quality and this tourist destination ($18 a meal, including a side). Love it!

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Very Tasty”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Athena Café served the best hummus ever. Situated above a jewelry store, this establishment combined a white tablecloth atmosphere and good Mediterranean cuisine with a casual setting. Servers were friendly and attentive and the entrees were tasty. Lunch seemed like a dinner seating, which extended the cruise ship ambiance on shore. This was literally a nice place to visit.

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I didn't find the service to be exceptional, but it was not bad. Average. The food was good and dessert Baklava with ice cream was a bit too sweet for my taste, but had good flavors. Was nice to have fresh squeezed lemonade with y lunch. Only problem was I couldn't find the entrance! (it was inside a jewelry store, so I ended up coming in through the back, but they were cool about it. I was served immediately. I'd go again, wold love to try their dinner menu.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Amazing food and ambiance!”
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Don't let the fact that you have to walk upstairs through a jeweler to get there fool you. This is a great family owned restaurant you don't want to miss during your time in Nassau.

We had the calamari and grilled octopus appetizers. Both were amazing and very tender. I had the shrimp skewer which was very flavorful. My husband had the blackened mahi special which was also very good.

Service was fantastic. The owner, this cute little Greek old man, came by several times to check on us which was nice. His son was our server. It was nice to see a family restaurant with this level of service and food.

Did I say service was fantastic? Something that has been clearly lacking in our other restaurant experiences here.

Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Watch Out!”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I went here with my husband and 2 adult children craving some authentic greek food. After we ordered we noticed an older man going to greet the customers from table to table.When he approached our table he noticed we were not drinking alcohol. He greets us and says to the waitress bring them a bottle of wine on the house. I told him that my husband and I don't drink so he insisted on 2 glasses of wine for my kids. Okay great. Then he noticed that we were talking about conch fritters which we had not ordered. So he yells out to the waiter bring them conch fritters so they may try them.Well lo and behold the bill arrives and there is the wine and conch fritters bringing the bill to $199. So I being greek tell this old man why did you order for us and say its on the house and he tells me "I DONT REMEMBER" what? I noticed he ordered beer for other tables as well. what a scammer!!! I don't get the good reviews Im greek and his food is not that great. He told us to beware there are thieves in Nassau but I think the thief is right here in Athena Café.

1 Thank GeorgiaTza