“Stuart Cove's non-stop fun and excitement.”

Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas
Book In Advance
More Info
$154.80*
and up
2-Tank Dive Trip from Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas is Nassau's leading full service dive centre. Originally opened in 1979, the operation has grown to a fleet of nine dive vessels, with five of the boats over 40 feet in length. Located on the Southwest side of Nassau/New Providence Island, Stuart Cove's is in the ideal location to take advantage of the most diverse diving the Bahamas has to offer. Walls, reefs, wrecks and sharks! There something for everyone from beginner divers to experts. Holiday travelers who have never been diving before will enjoy the 3-hour "Learn To Dive Program". In this program guests will be introduced to the equipment used in the sport of diving in a swimming pool, receive an introduction into the basics of diving, and then complete their first ocean dive. All of this takes place under the supervision of a professional dive instructor. 2-tank dive trips are offered both moring and afternoon with 2-tank Shark dives offered every afternoon. Night dives are available on selected evenings with a minimum of 6 guests. Dive sites encompass steep vertical walls that plummet to 6,000 feet of depth, shallow tropical reefs, 13 different locations containing ship or airplane wrecks, and numerous locations that were used as underwater movie sets for feature films. The feature activities at Stuart Cove's for our divers is our "Extreme Shark Adventure". The Shark Adventure program is a 2-tank dive trip that takes divers on an underwater encounter with Caribbean Reef Sharks. On the first dive divers participate in a "free swim" with the sharks along a beautiful wall. On the second dive, the group forms a semi-circle on the 40-foot bottom and watch while a professional shark feeder enters the water with a box of bait. Upon reaching the bottom, the feeder begins feeding the sharks with the aid of a pole spear. To say the sharks come close to the divers is an understatement - they are everywhere! However, Stuart Cove's is not exclusively about diving. It's about sharing the underwater world with as many people as possible. Have a non-diving buddy? We have snorkel dedicated trips that take guests to a variety of shallow reef sites and even visits the sharks weather permitting. Want something more exciting? How about our personal submarines? SUB Bahamas takes adventurers on a trip around a shallow reef and allows them to snorkel as well on a custom boat.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had the good fortune to lead a group of 22 divers to Nassau May 22-27,2013. Our dive adventure began at Stuart Cove's on the South West corner of New Providence Island. Stuart's is a first class operation with a full service dive shop, numerous boats, equipment for rental, and most importantly a friendly and service oriented staff. Their location provides direct access to the "tongue of the ocean" an area of very deep water carved out by the Atlantic Ocean. My group was assigned White Bungi, a 46 foot Newton custom dive boat which had recently been repowered with new John Deere turbo diesel engines. The boat was equipped with a large swim platform with two ladders, O2 kit, first aid kit, vhf radio, dedicated camera rinse bucket, covered and open areas for getting that vacation tan. Most importantly was the staff; Cleej was our captain with a great knowledge of the more distant dive sites, Terri and Charlotte, instructors who served as our divemasters and cruise directors who maintained an energetic and friendly demeanor during our four days of diving, and Chris from Fin Photo our own personal photographer. Our group of divers ran a range of experience from just certified to myself, a PADI IDC Staff instructor with 26 years of diving experience. Those that wanted and needed a little extra guidance and help were well tended to, those needing less were allowed to do their own thing. Our dive briefings were excellent with all necessary safety measures discussed and our bottom times were dictated by our computers and our gas consumption. Since most of my group dove enriched air, Alvin, the dock manager, kept his staff going to keep our boat stocked with nitrox tanks. It all ran smoothly, a daunting task considering there were 22 divers, most doing 4 dives a day ( 2 morning dives, 2 afternoon dives). After the morning dives, the boat would return to the shop (which was the set for the movie Flipper) where we would have a great lunch of either a fresh grilled fish sandwich, hamburger, cheeseburger, veggie burger, or hot dog - all grilled right there on the dock. During our lunch break, the staff would restock the boat with tanks and get us ready to go out for the afternoon dives. Back at the dock at the end of the day we were able to rinse out our gear in two huge rinse tanks and hang it up to dry in a guest gear storage room. As for dive sites; movie sets from "James Bond", "Into the Blue", "Splash", great walls and reefs as well as a number of wrecks. There were the usual suspects, turtles, queen angels, grey and French angels, all the regular colorful fish including lionfish (they didn't seem as numerous as in the past) as well as green morays, spotted morays, goldentail morays and a sharptail eel. There were southern rays and yellow rays. As for sharks, yes plenty - numerous caribbean reef sharks, a bull shark, and on three of the four days a hammerhead was spotted. But the highlight of the trip was the all day off island trip to Exuma. We packed the boat with gear, food, and beer and headed off early on Saturday morning. We did two dives off Highbourne Cay which featured great swim throughs very much like Grand Cayman (and one of the hammerhead sightings). The morning dives over, we headed for a deserted beach for an afternoon of picnicking and relaxing. The food was provided by Stuart's chef and he supplied all the important items, fried chicken, mac and cheese, potato salad, coleslaw, cold cuts, fresh fruit, snacks and soft drinks and water; we provided the beer(the diving was over for the day). A tired but happy group departed Exuma at 3 pm and we were back at the dock by 6:15pm - a great day!
Stuart (yes, there is a real Stuart Cove) and his staff really deliver a quality dive trip!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,638)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"marine life"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Being a diver I was excited to take my wife and son snorkeling in the Bahamas. Who better to book with than Stuart Cove's. I called the USA reservations line several weeks in advance and asked to have a spot reserved on the boat for the date we were interested in. The operator said he would.

The week before the trip I tried to complete my registration by using their website but it wouldn't accept anything past the participant page, so I called the USA reservations line again. I didn't want them to hold extra spots on the boat so I told them who I was and that I had already called. I was promptly told they didn't have any record of my calling.

No biggie, I registered for the trip and was told I would receive my confirmation email shortly. It never arrived. During our booking I was told to call them once I arrived in the Bahamas in order provide them with my local contact information. We arrived in the Bahamas and I called the local number. The lady I spoke with said they had no record of me and asked for my confirmation number. I explained all I had was the notice from my credit card company that I had been charged.

She said she would have to call the USA reservations center and she would ensure the confirmation email was sent to me. I was told it would only be about an hour before all this was accomplished. With the trip approaching the next day and no record of the 3 of us going on the trip I was very concerned. I called again late in the afternoon and was told they had placed me on the trip manifest but couldn't explain why I had no confirmation or other info from them.

I also asked about how the weather would affect our trip since we were experiencing significant rain and seas. The lady told me "right now no trips are cancelled". I then had a suspicion of what was going on. No matter how bad the weather gets, they go out. I have seen it before with dive operators on the east coast who willingly subject divers to horrible conditions to make a buck.

My fellow Tripadvisors can speak to bad weather experiences. See Tripadvisor post “Stuart Cove Snorkel - Beware Bad Weather -Terrible Experience!”

That night, the forecast was for "torrential rain" with "5 to 6 ft seas" (if you need to check the weather for May 29, 2013 and verify I am telling the truth, I won't be offended) during the scheduled snorkel time the following morning.

We decided we weren't going on trip the next morning to spare my 9 year old the misery but I hoped they would cancel. Still being an optimist I was holding out hopes for the next morning. Unfortunately, not only did they not cancel but they didn't even call our room to check on us when we weren't at the pick-up at our hotel. Did they ever even show? Who knows.

My wife pointed out something funny later on that certainly looked like a bait and switch. The main Stuart Cove's booking site says the following: "This is a non-refundable and non-transferable activity."

However all the brochures at the hotel say "24 hour cancellation notice required for refund." But it is the same trip and when you go to the www.snorkelbahamas.com website it is the Stuart Cove's link with the non-refundable statement. I have attached a photo of the brochure to help you draw your own conclusions...

In conclusion, my family is disappointed. We were looking forward to our snorkeling trip in the Bahamas. I know Stuart Cove's can't control the weather but they can control the other items I mentioned. You'd think I would at least get one email from the company since I gave them $170.00 for nothing....

3  Thank mhc0
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I will be honest, I had my concerns about Stuart Cove's based on comments regarding that some divers feel rushed and lacking personal service while diving with them. For this reason, I dove with Bahama Divers for the first 3 days of my dive.

I did spend a full day with them on May 29th and can tell you, they have the better dive sites and excellent service. I really wish I had just gone diving with them from the start.

I never felt rushed even on our afternoon Shark Dive where we had about 17 divers onboard.

The Ray of Hope and Mike's Reef were great morning dives and the afternoon Shark Dive definitely did NOT disappoint.

The location is pretty cool. It reminds me of the Disney River boat cruise the way it is laid out and decorated.

We stayed in Paradise island and the commute can take 40 minutes or much longer to get to the Dive Shop. For this reason, I recommend spending full days of diving with them if you can.

We can't way to go back to New Providence and spend many more days of diving with Stuart Cove's.

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Did the SUB tank on 31st May .. the crew are friendly and nice . I was disappointed with the photo taken by the crew .. there were only 5 images and 3 of them I had my eyes closed .. there were no full photo with me in the SUB tank and al the rest of the group have zillions of images taken .. very disappointed !! Secondly there were not too many variety of fish to see .. not Colorful reefs .. very cloudy .. not much to see !! I was in Grenada last year and their underwater sea life is so much prettier !! All in all is a good experience for a non diver .. non swimmer .. !! However .. Very disappointed with the photographer !!

Stuart B, Owner at Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Thank you for posting your experience on our SUB Bahamas Excursion. We apologize that there were less than the company standard of 6-8 good images of you to choose from taken on the tour. I have spoken to our Photo Lab manager and he confirmed that he assisted you with purchasing 2 nice photos in the SUB. We have addressed this with our photo staff and have reinforced our policy as well as your feedback regarding your desire to have a full photo of the SUB. We will use this information to provide better service for our future guests and we thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the clarity of the water on your tour date, we had a bit of rain and turbid seas for a couple of days and it had just settled down which may have contributed to the slightly cloudy water and grey skies you describe. This would have slightly diminished the bright colors and crystal clear waters the Bahamas is famous for on your particular day.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It is comments such as yours that help us to improve our product for future guests. We pride ourselves in offering excellent service and a superior product. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Michelle Cove
Stuart Cove’s Dive Bahamas, SUB Bahamas & Snorkel Bahamas

See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Booked the trip online and got an email voucher which was readily accepted at the store after the 45 minute bus ride with a very nice and communicative driver. We had no problems with the bus ride, driver or staff so I assume the negatives I read are more because of the attitude of the purchaser. The boat left, I noticed the fins I brought from home had cracks along the adjustment strap and asked for user fins. It took 3 pairs to get my size and the attendant didn't even wince at getting me the right size. As a matter of fact he said "I got you" in his slightly Bahamian accent. The first snorkel was fine but it was a bit cloudy and we went down current making it quite a swim to get back to the boat. The 2nd snorkel was great with much clearer water and was blue as the sky with abundant fish and beautiful corals. The last "shark" snorkel was somewhat of a fiasco because of so many people being on the drift line and then deciding they were too scared to remain there. One of them in their frenzy must have pulled my snorkel by their thrashing (which we were advised not to do) and broke it from it's strap sending it to the bottom making the sharks "restless". Still it was a great adventure to see the sharks down there within 30 feet and the crew member in the water was very helpful in removing fins and assisting onto the boat. All in all it was a great experience though a bit pricey and the staff was excellent. My underwater camera documented the snorkel adventures. We went on the Zambizi May 21 2013 9:30 AM morning boat, didn't get the names of the 2 man crew but want to commend them for all their great service.