“Terrible!”

$84.99*
and up
Nassau Snorkel Bahamas Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas is Nassau's leading full service dive centre. Originally opened in 1979, the operation has grown to a fleet of nine dive vessels, with five of the boats over 40 feet in length. Located on the Southwest side of Nassau/New Providence Island, Stuart Cove's is in the ideal location to take advantage of the most diverse diving the Bahamas has to offer. Walls, reefs, wrecks and sharks! There something for everyone from beginner divers to experts. Holiday travelers who have never been diving before will enjoy the 3-hour "Learn To Dive Program". In this program guests will be introduced to the equipment used in the sport of diving in a swimming pool, receive an introduction into the basics of diving, and then complete their first ocean dive. All of this takes place under the supervision of a professional dive instructor. 2-tank dive trips are offered both moring and afternoon with 2-tank Shark dives offered every afternoon. Night dives are available on selected evenings with a minimum of 6 guests. Dive sites encompass steep vertical walls that plummet to 6,000 feet of depth, shallow tropical reefs, 13 different locations containing ship or airplane wrecks, and numerous locations that were used as underwater movie sets for feature films. The feature activities at Stuart Cove's for our divers is our "Extreme Shark Adventure". The Shark Adventure program is a 2-tank dive trip that takes divers on an underwater encounter with Caribbean Reef Sharks. On the first dive divers participate in a "free swim" with the sharks along a beautiful wall. On the second dive, the group forms a semi-circle on the 40-foot bottom and watch while a professional shark feeder enters the water with a box of bait. Upon reaching the bottom, the feeder begins feeding the sharks with the aid of a pole spear. To say the sharks come close to the divers is an understatement - they are everywhere! However, Stuart Cove's is not exclusively about diving. It's about sharing the underwater world with as many people as possible. Have a non-diving buddy? We have snorkel dedicated trips that take guests to a variety of shallow reef sites and even visits the sharks weather permitting. Want something more exciting? How about our personal submarines? SUB Bahamas takes adventurers on a trip around a shallow reef and allows them to snorkel as well on a custom boat.
Ohio, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrible!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Buyer be aware! They will take you out regardless of weather conditions and wave conditions. About 20-30 minutes of actual snorkling time. Definately NOT for children! Save your money!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Kathy W

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Greensboro, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best Dive Operator in the Caribbean”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have dove with operators in Cayman Islands, Key Largo, and in the Southeast US, and Stuart Cove's is by far the best! Well organized, knowledgeable and friendly staff, good price, good equipment, and great trips. We did 6 dives: a PM 2 tank, an AM 2 Tank, and the Shark Adventure. All were outstanding! Great reef locations and wrecks and a guide and photographer on every dive. The best however is the Shark Adventure! Completely safe (pay attention and follow the dive plan!) and the most exhilarating dive ever! the Sharks were beautiful and the feeding was incredible. We will always dive with Stuart Cove's in places they operate!

1 Thank 3BoyPapa
Colorado
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Lack of environmental concern was a turn off”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked Stuart Cove's 3 stop snorkel trip as one of our "non-Atlantis" activities during our Bahamas trip. I hate to give bad reviews, but I can't, in good conscience, recommend them.

To their credit, they were incredibly efficient. The booking via phone was easy, the pickup at our hotel was timely, and all paperwork with a clipboard and pen was immediately provided upon boarding their comfortable bus. The check-in at their facility was quite efficient.

The first time my "hackles" went up was when we were paying and the cashier asked if we wanted to purchase bags of "fish food." "No, thanks," was my response as I've been told repeatedly it's not healthy for the fish to learn to rely on unnatural forms of food, etc.. She looked at me, and said in a guilt inducing/semi whiny voice, "Don't you waaaant to feeeed the fishies, ma'am?" Like an idiot, I said yes and we bought two bags of food. Turns out, they push that as the fish are non existent without the food enticement.

Wetsuits were recommended for an additional $10pp, and we were glad to spend the money as we were more comfortable with them.

The boat itself was nice, but very crowded. It felt like a cattle boat. I'm an ocean lover and have snorkeled and dived many different places. This was definitely a cattle boat feeling. There were many, many people crowded into a small space. The crew was friendly, but several times we felt rushed and were notified of time limits. "You have 20 minutes." "Hurry up or we'll be late for our next spot." Ick.

The first two snorkel spots were pretty bad. The visibility was mediocre and the only fish we saw were, coincidentally, the ones around the boat where everyone was feeding them. At the second stop, prior to getting in the water, one of the employees mentioned something about a "blue hole" and a "Hollywood movie." I struggled to hear her, and we searched for the "blue hole" without success. Obviously, the crew struggles with people hearing them because during the shark stop, someone didn't follow crew members' instructions and we heard a crew member yelling, "You didn't follow my directions!" when a guest didn't hang onto the rope. They seemed really stressed out about the shark stop. I'd recommend a microphone for them.

We saw divers below us at the second snorkel stop. I can't say if they were Stuart Cove's, but either way they didn't see anything more exciting than we did as snorkelers.

The thing that bothered me the most was seeing people standing on the coral. That's so not ok with me.

When we got back on the boat after the first stop, we overheard another guest talking to the crew about the need to tell people about "reef etiquette" and not standing on the coral. They assured her they would, but it didn't happen. Second stop, same thing. People standing on and kicking at the reef with their fins.

This combined with the "fish feeding" really left a bad taste in my mouth. I prefer to patronize businesses that have a long term view, and I definitely didn't experience this with Stuart Cove's.

In their favor, they did let guests jump off the boat which we had fun with. They also let kids (or anyone who wanted to) sit up front, holding onto the railing. Also, at one point, the seas were rough, and we saw the crew go down and physically make a little girl get next to the railing and hold onto it. Why her parents didn't do this is confusing to me?

The last stop, the shark stop, was really amazing. Sadly, I'm not aware of a reason it's not good for the sharks, but I'm sure it is in some way. You are instructed to get in the water (you have to have your fins on - my mind got really crazy wondering why), yet you HAVE to hold onto a long rope attached to a buoy they have attached to the back of the boat. They lower a bait box down about 30 feet and dozens of reef sharks start swarming the area. You are on the surface above them watching, bumping into the people on either side of you. The sharks do get pretty close to you sometimes. I thoroughly enjoyed this part, and felt it made the trip. After a seemingly short time you are directed to get back on the boat. I was the last one back on, and sat on the back of the boat while they pulled up the bait box. Sharks were swarming the surface and the fin one of the employees kept smacking the water with. I thought it was amazing.

So, bottom line, this is an efficient, well run company that doesn't seem to care about the long term environmental effect they are causing. I can't recommend them.

1 Thank coloparkers
San Diego, California
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“We're Gonna Need A Better Boat”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Booked the shark dive during my stop over from a Carnival cruise. They picked us up on time and got us to the dock with no issues. Check in and rental gear were no trouble either. The boat was a piece of c&@?. If we were going out any further than we did I would have been very afraid. The dive boat sputtered and puked out caustic fumes so bad that we had to do the dive brief on the upper deck, please fix this thing. The crew and dive masters made absolute sure we were following specific safety procedures for the shark dive as they would be feeding them; ie, no jostling about or sudden movements. I felt completely safe during the dive. However, I would avoid the snorkeling trip at all costs. When we surfaced, the snorkeling boat was chumming the water to bring the sharks up and telling the snorkelers to, "get in the water mon, and, don't, move!". PFS. Pricing and dive shop were reasonable. It is important to note that the transfer back to my cruise ship was on time and as they said it would be.

Visited August 2012
Avondale, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Shark Dive --Fun!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked the Stuart Cove Shark Adveture Dive prior to arriving in Nassau. We were picked up on a bus at the designated tIme and shuttled to the Stuart Cove Location. It was a bit chaotic when we arrived and signage was not good. After figuring out checkin was in the retail store and we competed with the other adventurers ( divers, snoklers, etc) to get the attention of someone we checked in. The dock is narrow and people were all over with thier gear, it was still a little stressful. We rented our wetsuits (we do not usually dive in wetsuits) and had to find a place where we were out of the way to try them on. Once on we needed to get our weights.

We then proceeded to the boat. Once on the boat it was wonderful. We participated in the two tank shark dive. No it was not scary. We had our attack grouper ( 2.5 feet long) position himself in front of us during the shark adventure. The photographer Chris and Videographer Guiermo(sp) did a great job. A little more direction like life your chin would have been nice, but they did a great job none the less. We saw many reef sharks and got amazing photos from our GoPro and cameras.

Once we returned to the dock, we shopped and waited for the video and photo review. We made our purchases. The video we waited for and the pictures were emailed. The only issue with the email photos is the zip file could not be opened on our ipads.