“A World Of Its Own”
Review of Caneel Bay Resort

Caneel Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caneel Bay
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We just returned from a trip to Caneel Bay with our daughter and son-in-law. It was all the good things we read in reviews. The transfer process to and from St. Thomas was efficient and professional. The rooms and the grounds are immaculate. Those who complain about the deer and donkeys should just walk on the paths which are kept clean. The bath towels were huge and were replaced as we used them. Each beach was different as were the coral formations and fish and turtles. The staff was unfailingly courteous and helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent with fresh fruit, lox, pancakes, eggs, waffles, etc. We also ate at ZoZo's and at the Beach Bar and Grill. ZoZo's was expensive but the food was good and the service and view excellent. The sushi and the other food at the Beach Bar and Grill, especially the ribs, was also very good. It was a treat to get unexpected beachside service at Hawksnest. I would recommend Caneel Bay to anyone wanting to get away from the press and rush of cell phones, TV and e-mail and just relax in beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get an ocean view room. We stayed in #52 with a view of Caneel Beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank countrydoc9

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was the first time that we went with our two daughters to a Caribbean Vacation out of Puerto Rico, and they just loved it. This Hotel is good for kids. In its surroundings there are many raindeers and dunkeys walking by since it is located in a reserve. It also has child nanny service and kids play center. The girls also loved the fact that it has many beaches around the resort, so they went to a different one everyday, each of them with crystal waters. We saw turttles and mantas during our stay, so the girls were excited! We had an ocean front room in Turtle bay, whic was ok, but not as big and updated as other rooms we have been in the BVI. The food was the only thing that was kind of disappointing since it was not as good as most of the BVI resorts, but was expensive as if it was. The Sugarmill restaurant is now Italian and we were not too much in love with it. However, out of the resort there are a lot of superb restaurants around, which are a real option if you do not want to eat in the resort. It was a real good experience and if you are an US Citizen you do not even need a passport since this is US territory. In the end we all had a good time and this is one place that everybody should try at least once. Not in the same category of the luxury BVI resorts, but is near and probably more family and kids oriented than those luxury resorts. If you have kids, this might be the option.

Room Tip: Turtle Bay is more private. Caneel Bay rooms are in the most beautiful beach, but is also the most...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David G
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I went there as part of our 3destination honey moon. And the minute we payed eyes on it, we fell in love! The place is out of this world. It is paradise on earth! The white sand beaches, the turquoise water, the lush green of the surroundings... Perfection! And then we had to interact with the hotel staff. And that's where the problem begun. The staff works under very precise rules, showing no flexibility at all, to the point that these rules make no sense. And when you ask for a simple explanation, the answer is a big NO. And they have no patience or willingness to satisfy their customers. They are almost rude. Especially at the front desk. The attitude was just unacceptable. Apart from that, the room service is almost non existent, we asked for two bottles of water, never came (!), we had to go to the front desk to ask for them. If you dare to ask the room cleaning service to come back later to clean your room, they never come back! So you end up going to your room after a day at the beach to have a shower, there are no public showers by the beach, you find your room the same as you left it that morning. The rooms and the bathrooms need a renovation ASAP. I wish this was a better review. But it is not. The question that I haven't been able to answer is wether this attitude from the hotel was because we are a gay couple or not. Was it simply inflexibility and lack of service skills or was it far worse than that, a racist attitude against gay couples? This remain to be answered.

12  Thank CVathens1
MDCaneel, General Manager at Caneel Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear CVathens 1,

We are glad to hear that you fell in love with Caneel Bay's beautiful white-sand beaches and lush greenery, but very sad that our guest service failed to live up to your expectations. Our philosophy is to extend the same hospitality to all guests equally and we certainly aim to educate our staff to be sensitive to guests' needs and respond appropriately. We will certainly use this opportunity to re-train where necessary and hope to welcome you back on a future occasion.
Respectfully,

Nikolay Hotze
Managing Director
Caneel Bay Resort

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have been to Caneel Bay three times now and look forward to returning there soon. In fact, it is one of the few places that my husband and I like to re-visit. We love the slower pace, the privacy of the gorgeous beaches, the gracious staff, the food...!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Missy B
Reviewed July 23, 2014

As many have said, Caneel Bay either rocks your world or it doesn't. This was my 50th trip to the US & BVI's. The grounds, staff, blue water, turtles, food, sand, drinks, donkeys, trails, deer, sushi, views and atmosphere ROCK my world!!! I do go other places. Try other islands. This resorts setting and people soothe me like no other place on earth. I used a more critical eye this trip to look at it as if it were my first time there. Yep, the shower caulking was pretty bad. Yep, I had to walk downstairs to the phone to confirm our dinner reservations. Yep, there's no a/c in the bathroom. But any issue was so outweighed by the advantages. I greet & smile at everyone and it never fails to get a happy response. I think the staff is wonderful! Oh, and ZoZo's was already our favorite restaurant on St John. Bonus!!!! If you do your homework and choose to try Caneel Bay, I hope it rocks your world too!

Room Tip: Ocean view on Caneel Bay Beach or if you can afford it, premium beachfront on Scott Beach.
3  Thank BPT
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is not the Caneel from 2 years ago (when it was a Rosewood resort). This was really the best resort I had ever stayed in the Caribbean 2 years ago, so I couldn't wait to come back. Unfortunately, my husband and I left feeling extremely let down and sad after spending vacation days and money on a place where we only had problems and were made to feel less than special guests. The beautiful water, snorkeling, and fabulous grounds are still to die for.
The staff were really not friendly..never smiled or acknowledged you in passing. The management was very disorganized also and had zero communication with each other. We had an issue where the plumbers were the plumbers were snaking the drain in the room next to us,but didn't know what they were doing and ended up sending the thing up into our room, exploding ceramic tiles and the toilet all over our room. After a day of staying out of the room for 2 days so they could put It all back together with no success, they finally had to move us to another room (we had to demand it). Over the several days of issues, there were 3 different directors of guest services that worked on different days and did not communicate with each other about the progress nor did they apologize for the inconvenience. I have a stressful job, and usually the caribbean is my way to de-stress. Sadly, after our time at a Caneel Bay, I was more stressed the day we left.

Room Tip: Scott's beach is the best. We had better snorkeling right off the beach there than we did at Tru...
22  Thank Mhanlin
MDCaneel, Manager at Caneel Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear mhanlin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor. Our sincere apologies once again for the unexpected maintenance issue you experienced during your stay, events such as this are never planned for, and I truly apologize for this experience. While it is true, we had both our guest relations manager as well as our front desk managers working with you to find the most appropriate solution, it saddens me to hear shared that you had to demand to change rooms, when in fact a change of room had been offered initially, but declined by you and your husband.
Unfortunately, unexpected issues do arise on rare occasions, and on those occasions, it is important to us that we provide our guests with personal service and an appropriate alternative to ensure our guests truly enjoy their holiday with us. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back one day in the future, and provide you with a most memorable experience.
Nikolay Hotze
Managing Director
Caneel Bay Resorts

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is the best resort in the world. Yes.... I've stayed in more luxurious hotels rooms... But nothing matches this resort's natural beauty. The rooms are kind of retro-like decor which was very cool. The bed linens and towels were very nice. We stayed in room 72 and it was by far the best location. Paying the few extra per night for the premium ocean front room is worth every penny!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#3 of 4 in Cruz Bay
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Caneel Bay Resort? Share your experiences!