All reviews scott beach sushi gelato sugar mill sea turtles natural beauty wild donkeys beach service beach grill turn down service national park st john hawks nest tropical fish turquoise water four seasons garden view
Reviewed July 23, 2014

As many have said, Caneel Bay either rocks your world or it doesn't. This was my 50th trip to the US & BVI's. The grounds, staff, blue water, turtles, food, sand, drinks, donkeys, trails, deer, sushi, views and atmosphere ROCK my world!!! I do go other places. Try other islands. This resorts setting and people soothe me like no other place on earth. I used a more critical eye this trip to look at it as if it were my first time there. Yep, the shower caulking was pretty bad. Yep, I had to walk downstairs to the phone to confirm our dinner reservations. Yep, there's no a/c in the bathroom. But any issue was so outweighed by the advantages. I greet & smile at everyone and it never fails to get a happy response. I think the staff is wonderful! Oh, and ZoZo's was already our favorite restaurant on St John. Bonus!!!! If you do your homework and choose to try Caneel Bay, I hope it rocks your world too!

Room Tip: Ocean view on Caneel Bay Beach or if you can afford it, premium beachfront on Scott Beach.
3  Thank BPT
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is not the Caneel from 2 years ago (when it was a Rosewood resort). This was really the best resort I had ever stayed in the Caribbean 2 years ago, so I couldn't wait to come back. Unfortunately, my husband and I left feeling extremely let down and sad after spending vacation days and money on a place where we only had problems and were made to feel less than special guests. The beautiful water, snorkeling, and fabulous grounds are still to die for.
The staff were really not friendly..never smiled or acknowledged you in passing. The management was very disorganized also and had zero communication with each other. We had an issue where the plumbers were the plumbers were snaking the drain in the room next to us,but didn't know what they were doing and ended up sending the thing up into our room, exploding ceramic tiles and the toilet all over our room. After a day of staying out of the room for 2 days so they could put It all back together with no success, they finally had to move us to another room (we had to demand it). Over the several days of issues, there were 3 different directors of guest services that worked on different days and did not communicate with each other about the progress nor did they apologize for the inconvenience. I have a stressful job, and usually the caribbean is my way to de-stress. Sadly, after our time at a Caneel Bay, I was more stressed the day we left.

Room Tip: Scott's beach is the best. We had better snorkeling right off the beach there than we did at Trunk Bay.
22  Thank Mhanlin
MDCaneel, Manager at Caneel Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear mhanlin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor. Our sincere apologies once again for the unexpected maintenance issue you experienced during your stay, events such as this are never planned for, and I truly apologize for this experience. While it is true, we had both our guest relations manager as well as our front desk managers working with you to find the most appropriate solution, it saddens me to hear shared that you had to demand to change rooms, when in fact a change of room had been offered initially, but declined by you and your husband.
Unfortunately, unexpected issues do arise on rare occasions, and on those occasions, it is important to us that we provide our guests with personal service and an appropriate alternative to ensure our guests truly enjoy their holiday with us. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back one day in the future, and provide you with a most memorable experience.
Nikolay Hotze
Managing Director
Caneel Bay Resorts

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is the best resort in the world. Yes.... I've stayed in more luxurious hotels rooms... But nothing matches this resort's natural beauty. The rooms are kind of retro-like decor which was very cool. The bed linens and towels were very nice. We stayed in room 72 and it was by far the best location. Paying the few extra per night for the premium ocean front room is worth every penny!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Our first trip to Caneel Bay and it was fantastic! Lots of wonderful beaches and snorkeling. We went in July, during low season, and it wasn't terribly hot and much less crowded than I've heard it can be during the winter months. Loved the 'quiet' beaches, reserved for adults, and the snorkeling at Hawksnest was incredible. The only downside was the 'Saharah Dust' that moved in during July and kicked my allergies into high gear -- just remember to bring your Claritin! ;)

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had an amazing time returning to the same room we stayed in 40 years ago! It was very much the same as we remember it: lovely! The twin beds that were placed together were replaced with an awesome King-size bed: so comfortable! They constantly brought fresh towels which was so appreciated! I loved the little seashell each night that was on our turned-down bed!
The breakfast buffet is perfect: there's something for everyone. My husband and I ate so much we weren't hungry until about 4-5 pm. The staff was friendly, hard-working, and bent over backwards for anything we wanted.
Like one of the reviewers stated, more restaurant choices would have been better. Expect to pay at least $70 for two for dinner, with no drinks or appetitsers. ZoZos was delicious but our bill was over $100, no drinks or appetitsers. The dinner at Turtle Bay Estate house was also great (I had the filet) but also pricy. All the food was good, but some reasonably priced options would have been nice. I really regretted not bringing a small jar of peanut butter! It would have been easy to take bread back to the room for sandwiches later.
No phone or alarm clock in the room but I used my iPad's alarm feature, and we brought our cell phones. One suggestion to avoid huge cell phone charges like some of the guests were over-heard discussing: get a GoPhone from Radio Shack for $15 and buy minutes! Our calls were only 10 cents a minute. Some guests had bills that were hundreds if dollars.
Things I'm really glad we brought: lots of sunscreen, Mole Skin and a pair of cuticle scissors to cut it with (the fins can cause blisters in places you're not used to), a small 4 oz jar of liquid laundry detergent to rinse out suits and wash underwear and socks, and antibiotic ointment and a bandaid for the blister I got on my toe that really started hurting. My husband laughed at me but I found it extremely helpful to wear a pair of socks when snorkeling! No more blisters! Wish I had brought more socks.
Things I really wish I brought: zinc oxide ointment! No matter how hard I tried, I still got burned on the back of my legs from snorkeling! And wish I had that peanut butter!
Some reviewers had negative things to say about the staff but remember this: you can't make everyone happy! There will always be folks that you can't please no matter what!

Room Tip: We stayed at Hawksnest: lots of turtles, but Scott Beach was prettier.
4  Thank bonnieyagiela