All reviewsscott beachsushigelatosugar millsea turtlesnatural beautywild donkeysbeach servicebeach grillturn down servicenational parkst johnhawks nesttropical fishturquoise waterfour seasonsgarden view
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Our first trip to Caneel Bay and it was fantastic! Lots of wonderful beaches and snorkeling. We went in July, during low season, and it wasn't terribly hot and much less crowded than I've heard it can be during the winter months. Loved the 'quiet' beaches, reserved for adults, and the snorkeling at Hawksnest was incredible. The only downside was the 'Saharah Dust' that moved in during July and kicked my allergies into high gear -- just remember to bring your Claritin! ;)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had an amazing time returning to the same room we stayed in 40 years ago! It was very much the same as we remember it: lovely! The twin beds that were placed together were replaced with an awesome King-size bed: so comfortable! They constantly brought fresh towels which was so appreciated! I loved the little seashell each night that was on our turned-down bed!
The breakfast buffet is perfect: there's something for everyone. My husband and I ate so much we weren't hungry until about 4-5 pm. The staff was friendly, hard-working, and bent over backwards for anything we wanted.
Like one of the reviewers stated, more restaurant choices would have been better. Expect to pay at least $70 for two for dinner, with no drinks or appetitsers. ZoZos was delicious but our bill was over $100, no drinks or appetitsers. The dinner at Turtle Bay Estate house was also great (I had the filet) but also pricy. All the food was good, but some reasonably priced options would have been nice. I really regretted not bringing a small jar of peanut butter! It would have been easy to take bread back to the room for sandwiches later.
No phone or alarm clock in the room but I used my iPad's alarm feature, and we brought our cell phones. One suggestion to avoid huge cell phone charges like some of the guests were over-heard discussing: get a GoPhone from Radio Shack for $15 and buy minutes! Our calls were only 10 cents a minute. Some guests had bills that were hundreds if dollars.
Things I'm really glad we brought: lots of sunscreen, Mole Skin and a pair of cuticle scissors to cut it with (the fins can cause blisters in places you're not used to), a small 4 oz jar of liquid laundry detergent to rinse out suits and wash underwear and socks, and antibiotic ointment and a bandaid for the blister I got on my toe that really started hurting. My husband laughed at me but I found it extremely helpful to wear a pair of socks when snorkeling! No more blisters! Wish I had brought more socks.
Things I really wish I brought: zinc oxide ointment! No matter how hard I tried, I still got burned on the back of my legs from snorkeling! And wish I had that peanut butter!
Some reviewers had negative things to say about the staff but remember this: you can't make everyone happy! There will always be folks that you can't please no matter what!

Room Tip: We stayed at Hawksnest: lots of turtles, but Scott Beach was prettier.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bonnieyagiela
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Out of all the places I've traveled in my young life Caneel Bay is probably my favorite. The beaches are heavenly, the food is great, and the service is wonderful. There is a multitude of beaches at Caneel to choose from all with amazing views (Scott Beach and Turtle Bay happen to be my favorite). What's great about the beaches is that they're private so only guests of the hotel can enjoy them! The water is crystal clear blue and the sand is clean, what more could you ask for? What is also great is having lunch and drinks served to you no matter what beach you're on! The food is also great at Caneel. I believe that one of the best restaurants on the whole island is the Sugar Mill at Caneel Bay. The impeccable service just puts the icing on the cake. The people are polite and the resort is just downright amazing. The whole property is beautiful and it is just the perfect escape for a honeymoon, a vacation, or even a family trip. Can't wait to go back. (Beware there is no TV)

Room Tip: Choose a garden view room if you want a cheaper room! It is also a lot closer to the bar and grill
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank 814ClaireC
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Looking to relax on one of the most perfectly beautiful beaches anywhere? This is the place. My husband and I were looking for a great place to really unwind, let go of some major stress and celebrate our 25th anniversary. We wanted a beach. We could not have picked a more perfect spot. The beaches at Caneel Bay were fabulous! They are very natural and yet groomed, velvet sand, nice shady trees if you want shade, amazing snorkeling right there (we saw sting rays, turtles, a huge barracuda and an amazing array of fish (tiny and large), coral, conchs, all right there. The water is an ever flowing and changing array of blues from nearly clear turqoize to deep navy. We saw some reviews that complained the grounds were not well kept -- if you want to see gardens manicured to precision, this is not for you -- if you want groomed natural perfection, you will LOVE this. The restaurants on the resort were really amazing -- GREAT food and the view of the sunset from the old sugar mill Italian restaurant will absolutely blow you away. The room was huge and lovely. Even though it was a "garden view" room, we had a view (beyond the gardens) of the ocean and St. Thomas in the distance. We got massages in the cabanas -- no "piped in" nu-wave CD player necessary -- it was the REAL thing, waves and breeze and AHHHHHH. We enjoyed walking the grounds and hiking the trails. We ordered our lunches from the grill right there on the beach -- fabulous! I can't wait to go back. Absolutely, hands down, the most perfect beach relax vacation.
I marked a 5 for value -- it is a little pricey, but it is worth every single penny.

Room Tip: Seems to us hard to get a "bad room". We chose "garden view" to bring the price down. We were very happy with it (we still had a view of the ocean in the distance; and the garden view was quite lovely). Then again, when they say "beach front" they really, really mean it!!! I do not think I would want to stay in a room right at Caneel Beach -- not private enough for me. If I were going for beach front, I would probably want to stay on Hawksnest beach
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JennyandRick210
Reviewed July 14, 2014

No TVs in the room, no telephones in the room, no digital clock in the room, etc. Just space to kick back and relax in peace and quiet amongst the beautiful waters of the Virgin Islands. Despite being just a 40 minute ferry ride from the hustle and bustle of city life on St. Thomas and a 5 minute cab ride from the town of Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay feels like a completely different world. Whether it's the quiet beaches or the donkeys and deer roaming through the resort, it's a great place to unwind. A bit pricey, but I would and will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple