All reviews scott beach sushi gelato sugar mill sea turtles natural beauty wild donkeys beach service beach grill turn down service national park st john hawks nest tropical fish turquoise water four seasons garden view
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Looking to relax on one of the most perfectly beautiful beaches anywhere? This is the place. My husband and I were looking for a great place to really unwind, let go of some major stress and celebrate our 25th anniversary. We wanted a beach. We could not have picked a more perfect spot. The beaches at Caneel Bay were fabulous! They are very natural and yet groomed, velvet sand, nice shady trees if you want shade, amazing snorkeling right there (we saw sting rays, turtles, a huge barracuda and an amazing array of fish (tiny and large), coral, conchs, all right there. The water is an ever flowing and changing array of blues from nearly clear turqoize to deep navy. We saw some reviews that complained the grounds were not well kept -- if you want to see gardens manicured to precision, this is not for you -- if you want groomed natural perfection, you will LOVE this. The restaurants on the resort were really amazing -- GREAT food and the view of the sunset from the old sugar mill Italian restaurant will absolutely blow you away. The room was huge and lovely. Even though it was a "garden view" room, we had a view (beyond the gardens) of the ocean and St. Thomas in the distance. We got massages in the cabanas -- no "piped in" nu-wave CD player necessary -- it was the REAL thing, waves and breeze and AHHHHHH. We enjoyed walking the grounds and hiking the trails. We ordered our lunches from the grill right there on the beach -- fabulous! I can't wait to go back. Absolutely, hands down, the most perfect beach relax vacation.
I marked a 5 for value -- it is a little pricey, but it is worth every single penny.

Room Tip: Seems to us hard to get a "bad room". We chose "garden view" to bring the price down. We were very happy with it (we still had a view of the ocean in the distance; and the garden view was quite lovely). Then again, when they say "beach front" they really, really mean it!!! I do not think I would want to stay in a room right at Caneel Beach -- not private enough for me. If I were going for beach front, I would probably want to stay on Hawksnest beach
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JennyandRick210
Reviewed July 14, 2014

No TVs in the room, no telephones in the room, no digital clock in the room, etc. Just space to kick back and relax in peace and quiet amongst the beautiful waters of the Virgin Islands. Despite being just a 40 minute ferry ride from the hustle and bustle of city life on St. Thomas and a 5 minute cab ride from the town of Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay feels like a completely different world. Whether it's the quiet beaches or the donkeys and deer roaming through the resort, it's a great place to unwind. A bit pricey, but I would and will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DJLinNC
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Having stayed here once over 20 years ago, my husband and I returned with our teenage daughter, and are now wondering why we've bothered with other Caribbean resorts in the intervening years. In all honesty, we were worried that we would find the place to be down-at-the-heels based on some reviews, but that was not the case at all: Caneel is even more lovely than we remembered -- it's simply magnificent. True, the rooms are not luxurious but functional and could use an overhaul, but the property and setting more than make up for that. Our rooms on Scott Beach were mere feet from the beach and from the much-appreciated Beach Bar. While many of the rooms at the resort are beachfront, we thought the view from Scott was the most beautiful. Frankly, in our opinion it beats the view at every other Caribbean resort, including those on St. Lucia, and that's saying something! The quiet atmosphere at Scott was enhanced by the fact that children younger than 12 are not permitted there most of the year, and by the resort's request that any radios/personal music devices be kept to the lowest possible volume. In fact, the absence of piped-in music at breakfast and in the public areas was a welcome change from many other beach resorts.

My techie daughter was concerned at first about the WiFi service, but we had no problem with internet reception either on the beach or in the rooms. Every staff member was exceptionally warm and friendly and made us all feel completely welcome at every turn. The food at all of the restaurants was very good, so we felt no need to leave the property for a meal. My husband said the zuppa di pesce at Turtle Bay Estate House was the best he's ever had. The level of service was unmatched. When our daughter had a question about having a special appetizer prepared, the chef himself came out to make suggestions in order to provide her with exactly what she wanted.

We are so glad that we decided to return to Caneel, and are now hoping to make it a regular family destination, as it is for so many for such obvious reasons.

Room Tip: Scott Beach is very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank BrynMawrBK
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I were married at Caneel Bay this past June. We had the most amazing time. Everything from working with the wedding coordinator, Vera, to arriving at the airport and having to get to the court house on St. Thomas, to the day we departed was nearly perfect.

We chose Caneel because of the ease of everything, plus the staff was incredibly responsive with the planning process. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and the Caneel taxi took us quickly to pick up our marriage license. We hopped on the Caneel ferry and enjoyed a refreshing rum punch after traveling all day.

Once at the resort, we were given a hot towel to refresh ourselves and then we hopped into a golf cart and were taken to our room, Cottage 7B. It was beyond gorgeous. The decor is perfect for an island and the integrity of Caneel has been kept intact despite new ownership.

We enjoyed the all of the restaurants at Caneel and enjoyed all of them. Turtle Bay Estate House was my favorite and the setting was absolutely beautiful. Cannella was really nice for a quick coffee or gelato. We had paninis there which were also tasty.

The beds were comfortable, the shower was spacious, the housekeeping staff was wonderful, the grounds were beautifully kept and it was an all around great time. Of course there are wild donkey and deer on the island so there are droppings but they are not on the paths and are mostly contained to the grassy areas, which is fine, because we spent the majority of our time on the beach anyway. The animals are incredibly friendly and it was a treat to be so close to the deer everyday.

The beaches were gorgeous and it was nice to have adults only space. We did notice some families wandered onto the beach with their kids who were having a good time as kids would, and the beach bar staff was quick to remind them that the beach was adults only and the families were respectful of that and went elsewhere. It was lovely to kick back, read a book, drink a passion colada, and enjoy the days leading up to our wedding as well as the remainder of our trip as husband and wife.

I feel like the staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was absolutely perfect and magical, from the minute we arrived until we left.

I miss Caneel and cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Cottage 7 is amazing! Excellent ocean view with privacy from beach goers.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Stephanie H
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Caneel bay is exactly what you would think of when you say beach vacation! We were fortunate to right on the beach (as I think MANY of the rooms are!) Open the door and walk right out to the water...paradise. The rooms are small, and a little outdated, but clean and comfortable. At first I was a little worried that there were no TVs in rooms, but soon learned why...who needs one when surrounded by all the beauty. Walked into town for breakfast each morning and had a great time. Really enjoyed the trip! If you get the chance hire a boat (and bring your passport) to tour some of the other islands! AWESOME!

Room Tip: Beach front
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple