All reviewsscott beachsushigelatosugar millsea turtlesnatural beautywild donkeysbeach servicebeach grillturn down servicenational parkst johnhawks nesttropical fishturquoise waterfour seasonsgarden view
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I were married at Caneel Bay this past June. We had the most amazing time. Everything from working with the wedding coordinator, Vera, to arriving at the airport and having to get to the court house on St. Thomas, to the day we departed was nearly perfect.

We chose Caneel because of the ease of everything, plus the staff was incredibly responsive with the planning process. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and the Caneel taxi took us quickly to pick up our marriage license. We hopped on the Caneel ferry and enjoyed a refreshing rum punch after traveling all day.

Once at the resort, we were given a hot towel to refresh ourselves and then we hopped into a golf cart and were taken to our room, Cottage 7B. It was beyond gorgeous. The decor is perfect for an island and the integrity of Caneel has been kept intact despite new ownership.

We enjoyed the all of the restaurants at Caneel and enjoyed all of them. Turtle Bay Estate House was my favorite and the setting was absolutely beautiful. Cannella was really nice for a quick coffee or gelato. We had paninis there which were also tasty.

The beds were comfortable, the shower was spacious, the housekeeping staff was wonderful, the grounds were beautifully kept and it was an all around great time. Of course there are wild donkey and deer on the island so there are droppings but they are not on the paths and are mostly contained to the grassy areas, which is fine, because we spent the majority of our time on the beach anyway. The animals are incredibly friendly and it was a treat to be so close to the deer everyday.

The beaches were gorgeous and it was nice to have adults only space. We did notice some families wandered onto the beach with their kids who were having a good time as kids would, and the beach bar staff was quick to remind them that the beach was adults only and the families were respectful of that and went elsewhere. It was lovely to kick back, read a book, drink a passion colada, and enjoy the days leading up to our wedding as well as the remainder of our trip as husband and wife.

I feel like the staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was absolutely perfect and magical, from the minute we arrived until we left.

I miss Caneel and cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Cottage 7 is amazing! Excellent ocean view with privacy from beach goers.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Stephanie H
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Caneel bay is exactly what you would think of when you say beach vacation! We were fortunate to right on the beach (as I think MANY of the rooms are!) Open the door and walk right out to the water...paradise. The rooms are small, and a little outdated, but clean and comfortable. At first I was a little worried that there were no TVs in rooms, but soon learned why...who needs one when surrounded by all the beauty. Walked into town for breakfast each morning and had a great time. Really enjoyed the trip! If you get the chance hire a boat (and bring your passport) to tour some of the other islands! AWESOME!

Room Tip: Beach front
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kikiheff1
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was worried about the rooms from other reviews but they were great - and we usually like to stay at Four Seasons, One and Only type places when we go away. Only complaint is no TV but we just used our ipads at night.

Beaches are unbelieveable!

Several great food options onsite but town is a short cab ride away with many, many options (we ate at Fatty Crab two nights in a row).

Service is slow - but - its the carribbean.
We will absolutely go back.

Room Tip: I think we had room 31 which was not beach front but 1 level below that - and it was the perfect distance between the center of the resort and Scotts beach (all were fabulous but we went to this one every day bc its the only one with a bar!)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CBKenny
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about Caneel Bay. This was our first trip to Caneel with our kids, and we can't wait to get back! We were in an oceanfront room which was set up perfectly with two twin beds and a king.
We spent very little time in the room anyway, as there was just too much to enjoy around the resort and the islands. The beaches around Caneel are unreal, a great place to see turtles, rays, fish, barracudas, etc.
The service is FANTASTIC. Everything is attended to and immaculate. We've travelled there as a couple several times previously, and service is always nothing less than spectacular.
Can't think of a better place to relax and unplug. Won't stay anywhere else on St John (assuming I can afford it). Will be back soon!

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank mtomko
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Caneel bay exceeded all of my expectations! The food, accommodating, my kids had the best time, the beaches were amazing, staff was lovely. We paddle boarded and kayaked everyday. We stayed in The main beach Caneel bay and it was perfect! Breakfast every morning was delicious, zozo's was super yummy and so was the turtle bay house! I love it here and I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: July 2014