“Beautiful and relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caneel Bay
Iowa
“Beautiful and relaxing”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

After spending part of the USVI trip at another resort on St. thomas, we decided to spend a couple nights at Caneel. It was amazing. We could walk right out from our room to the beach with an amazing view where we could snorkel and see all types of sea life (and donkeys grazing the grounds). The rooms were immaculate, beds very comfortable, a bottle of rum to help us relax and wonderful service all around.
The only negatives were that the shower did not drain properly and one particular staff member was rude when speaking to a coworker when he thought no one was looking. Relatively minor and it did not come close to dampening the mood.
The resort is pricey, but if you are looking for a nice relaxing trip to get away from the outside world, this is the place to be. Perfect for a honeymoon. Five nights here will beat seven anywhere else.

3 Thank unimsw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Caneel Bay was a nice property. We visited for the day, but did not stay at the hotel. The grounds are maintained. There was no construction noise, and donkeys, deer, and mongoose were romping. The outdoor dining areas were neat and service was prompt. Everyone working was friendly, and at the gate we were greeted by a friendly lady. We went on a dive trip, and although the property is private and secluded, we were able to access the dive company easily. We noticed couples and families at the resort, and we couldn't hear anyone complaining. This resort was quiet and secluded, but had a beach for snorkeling and watersports. If I was staying in a hotel, this would be a top choice.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed June 19, 2014

If you're looking for a tropical and upscale national park resort with air conditioned rooms, comfy, not too soft beds, excellent breakfast buffets (papaya, guava, cranberry juices ) sea turtle snorkeling (Hawks Nest cove), deer and donkey families , and massages following yoga and pilates, this is your refuge. No hustle bustle, just white sand and clear blue waters, and ZoZo's restaurant on top of the sugar mill the slaves took over when they seized the island from their Dutch oppressors, only to suffer more when the Dutch summoned the French for colonial back-up, and tennis courts with soft and hard surfaces (take your pick) and deer nipping at the flower bushes that surround a both lovely yet modest-sized pool that no one seems to use, at least not in June. My recommendation to management would be to offer music, maybe a little dancing, at night because there's not much to do after dinner except write reviews like this one and cuddle with your honey. Remember to ask for a shower mat because it's fall territory without one, but all we had to do was ask and the mat, still with the store sticker, was delivered to our door. I've read there's better snorkeling elsewhere on the island, so if that's your thing consider signing up for one of their day trips; otherwise enjoy the sea turtles (I saw five in one spot ) and send my love to the deer just beyond those gorgeous orange Flamboyant trees.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank 59marcyw
Beaumont
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This was our second trip to Caneel Bay. this time we made sure our stay was much longer than 3 1/2 days. we stayed in cabin 50-ocean view not in the beach, seems there's no privacy with beach front. We had an excellent view of Caneel. Room was spacious. Turn down services every night. I think we want to try room 60 next time looks like they have more panoramic windows.
We hiked, snorkeld, ate at all the restaurants, went on kayaking ecotour to Henley Cat--Patrick was a fantastic guide,- you can book through the resort or walk down to honeymoon beach and catch him there, enjoyed a massage by the beach, took advantage of their awesome fitness facilities.. it was great! Last year we visited Caneel during April for our honeymoon. This year we went in May. It was hotter in April but this time they experienced a bit of ran so it made the temperature much cooler. Only bad part ..mosquitoes. we didn't experience this in April. Snorkeling at Scott's Beach was the best, eagle Ray, jumping fish, some turtle. We discovered Cannel beach has more fish due to significantly more coral. Water temperature seemed warmer in May versus April. Went into town found the best place for silver jewelry is at Caravan Gallery--in Mongoose Junction. Bought a case of water (much cheaper)for the room since water is $2/bottle or more. Seems there were significantly less guests on the resort in May versus April. Beaches were never crowded. Took a trip to Trunk Bay, beautiful water, crowded, snorkeling was okay, I thought Caneel Bay was cleaner and all around better. Caneel Resort is just a special peaceful place. I felt myself relax completely. Love all the animals roaming about. Cannot wait for next year's trip. Best restaurant-Turtle Estate, pricey but worth it! Hope some of this helps, message me with questions.

• Stayed May 2014
10 Thank lamargrad
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2014

This is our 2nd stay and we enjoyed every minute of it. It is very peaceful and definitely worth it. Being able to disconnect was very relaxing.

We stayed in a Beachfront room on Hawksnest and it was such a pleasure to watch the turtles from our room balcony every day. We snorkeled daily at Hawksnest and saw turtles, stingrays, lots of other various fishes and squids. There are lots of little fishes that surround you in swarms especially at Caneel. The coral is not as vibrant as when we were last there in 2012 but that is occurring all over.

We had the bed & breakfast package and my husband loved the waffles - he had them every morning along with fresh fruit. The omelette and egg benedict is very delicious. The fresh fruit juices were also very delicious.

We had dinner on property most nights - did not try Zozo's or Turtle Bay estate. We enjoyed the sushi. The menu at the Beach bar & grill needs a little bit updating maybe to include daily specials - there is a catch of the day but is always served with rice and veggies. We enjoyed the paninis and quiche at Cannella and the gelato, especially chocolate milkshakes - I think we had one almost daily!

Our housekeeper Jennifer did a great job - kept our room very clean and well stocked with towels etc.

The grounds are immaculate with some droppings but that is to be expected as there are deer and donkeys on the property and even the occasional mongoose. The one thing that seemed different to us is the Hawksnest beach area was not raked as often as it was when we were there prior which made the water edge seem dirty with seaweed and other debris.

The shuttle service around the property was very convenient and we did not have to wait too long before one would come by.

The staff is very helpful and friendly.

Overall, we enjoyed our trip and can't wait for our next visit.

3 Thank travellertoparadise
Homewood, Alabama
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This was our second trip to Caneel, as our first trip was 7 years ago for our honeymoon. Caneel is heaven on earth. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. It is an expensive trip, but well worth it.

The boat ride from St. Thomas to St. John, with a rum punch in hand, sets the tone for pure relaxation.

The property is gorgeous. Where else can you go and be so "in" to nature without literally camping? I just love the animals that find their home on the property. The number of deer and donkey have definitely increased from 7 years ago. The beaches are beautiful and never crowded. Snorkeling is the best on the island, and each beach is unique.

We stayed in a premium ocean view room on Cottage Point. The view was gorgeous and private, and the location was perfect as we were not too far from the main Caneel area. If we get to go back in the future, I will book this area again. The rooms are Caneel are not luxurious, but they don't need to be. I valued not having a television in our room as it got us outside! We were rarely in our room, except for the day that it rained non-stop.

Seven years ago we stayed in Cottage 7, which was incredible then, and I'm sure the same now.

The Caneel breakfast buffet is delicious and my favorite meal of the day. I had the eggs benedict every morning (among other things), and they were just as delicious as what I remembered from years ago.

Caneel Beach Bar & Grill has good food, and the drinks are always great. I had my fair share of pain killers and BBCs. We ate there a few times for lunch, and had sushi one night for dinner.

We did not eat at Turtle Bay Estate House as it was only open a few nights, and not on the nights we were interested in. We rented a jeep for the week, which was nice to have whenever we wanted to go into town for a meal or explore the island.

ZoZos was fabulous, and you can't find a better restaurant location on the island.

I would highly recommend a massage at the massage cabana on Hawksnest. My massage was very relaxing, and I left feeling energized.

We found the employees to be very friendly and helpful.

All in all, I was depressed to leave. Caneel holds such a special place in my heart, and I hope that my husband and I are fortunate enough to go back one day. Caneel is such a unique resort, and is truly paradise.

Room Tip: We stayed on Cottage Point in a premium ocean view room. View was incredible, and the location was p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mary B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This place is amazing. It has everything from 5-6 beautiful beachs, hiking trails where you get picturesque views of the coastline, and wildlife that walk amongst you like they are guests themselves. This was our first time to St John and this resort, 5 STARS ALL THE WAY. The food, scenery, accomodations, and most importantly, STAFF, were top notch. I would recommend this place in a heart beat and as you can read, so would many others too.

3 Thank fos316
St. John Inn
St. John Inn
#3 of 4 in Cruz Bay
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Caneel Bay Resort? Share your experiences!