“Heaven beaches”
Review of Caneel Bay Resort

Caneel Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caneel Bay
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We traveled last year for our honeymoon during the holiday season. We had a room just in front of the main beach. Room was ok but the overall location is simply amazing. You could walk 10 steps out of the room and snorkelling with one of the best experience ever. The hotel has 7 beaches but we went to only two of them and it was more than enough. I saw manta rays, giant sea turtles and beautiful sea star just snorkelling very close to the beach. The sea is pristine. In the morning you wake up and you see out of the patio wild donkeys, deers and pelicans. Food could be better but the fine dining restaurant was good. The manager of the casual restaurant was great: he managed to serve us good sushi and fresh lobster every night on the terrace making our experience memorable. Yes maybe rooms could be better, maybe overall service could improve (you need to take your own towel to the beach) but overall the place is a paradise. The tour of the island was good as well: it is a beautiful island indeed . Being a rosewood aficionado I am very curious to understand how the hotel changed after it left the chain. Overall it was a memorable experience. One of the best island and location resort in the Caribbean .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dede F

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We love this resort and have been coming for years. The experience is wonderful - from taking the boat over from St Thomas to lingering at afternoon to exploring the resort's 7 beautiful beaches. The snorkeling right off of the beaches is fantastic.

The resort is under new management and I hope they continue to improve. I can already see an improvement with the food. The addition of the sushi bar at the Caneel Beach Terrace is fantastic. The food at Zozo's and the Turtle Beach Estate House were also very good.

One area for improvement would be the rooms. Beds are very small, rooms are small.

My main complaint with the resort has not changed in 15 years- staff can be cold and unfriendly. In particular, the waitstaff at Zozos were unfriendly. Some of the old timers who were around under Rockefeller's management clearly know what they are doing. Others really need some training. Not what I would expect from a 5* resort.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want - more action - in a very relative sense, the entire place is low key (Cane...
3  Thank DCglobetrotterJW
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We highly recommend this resort! It's low key with highest quality service. There are numerous beaches so one can always find a quiet spot to relax and enjoy the natural habitat. The food is excellent. There is not much to do in the evenings so pack some books & games. You will not be disappointed! The little town is a short drive should you need some retail therapy.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank SandyBF
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotels location can't be beat, the beaches are wonderful.
The food seems to have really gone down since my last visit 5 years ago. The biggest disappointment was the room. I wanted to treat myself so stayed in the cottage 7. Their premier rooms.
It was dirty, plain and simple. I killed 5 of the largest cockroaches I have ever seen and was awoken to 3 more stuck in the clothing drawers. Not yearly acceptable for that kind of money or hotel.
I later found out the hotel has changed ownership. Its sad to see my favorite hotel cannot provide the experience it used to.
The staff was mediocre at best, misplaced my luggage for half a day.
Unless they realize they can't charge these rates I will be going somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
14  Thank Mykonos69
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Spent Christmas and New Years at Caneel Bay with the family (two grown-ups and four adult kids). We had a terrific time and now understand why people come back here year after year. We stayed at Hawksnest and had some great days snorkeling there on the days when the water was calm. Saw tons of turtles, rays, and fish. Most days it was pretty windy over there though so we spent most of our beach time at Turtle Bay and then usually walked over to Scott Beach to watch the sunset. (After the first day we learned to put on plenty of bug spray for evenings on the beach - the no-see-ums really come out around sunset, but there's plenty of bug spray in the rooms so you don't get eaten.) The sea grape trees along the shore provided plenty of shade and the beach staff made regular rounds to check if we needed anything (waters, towels, etc).
The food at the resort was excellent - great dinners at Turtle Bay Estate and wonderful sushi at the Caneel Bay Terrace. We're not usually big on buffet style dining but the nights we did the buffet dinners everything was wonderful. So easy to walk up from the beach and get breakfast and lunch at Turtle Bay as well. If you want to eat at Zozos make a reservation before you go! We had dinner there one night but then they were booked solid the rest of the week.
As other reviews have said, the rooms are a little dated, but the housekeeping staff does a great job to make everything very comfortable and clean. Great sheets and pillows, big thick towels, etc. We also appreciated the complimentary bottles of rum!
We all agreed that the best thing about this place was the service - the people are so warm and really make you feel like family. They remember who you are, what you like, and want to make your stay perfect. From housekeeping to food service to beach service to bus drivers - the staff really makes you feel welcome and taken care of, they really go the extra mile.

Room Tip: Rooms along Scott Beach are single story and have great sunset views. Hawksnest is sometimes very wi...
2  Thank Gaelan G
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are just completing a nine day holiday stay at Caneel. We had three rooms on Caneel beach for me and my wife, our daughter, her husband and four children. I must admit that I was a little nervous when I heard about the change in ownership. But my concerns were quickly put to rest when the Caneel Bay ferry from St Thomas arrived at the Caneel Bay dock and all the familiar staff were there to greet us. We have gone to Caneel for 42 years and without a doubt this was our best experience. The staff was as friendly and accommodating as ever but the two new changes for this year were awesome. First the sugar mill restaurant is now ZOZO's which was always known as the best place to eat on St John's. ZOZO's used to be located in Cruz Bay but now that it is on the resort it so convenient to use. Second, the reconfiguration of the gift shop and the addition of the ice cream bar is a huge improvement. Overall we could not have had a better vacation and have already rebooked our trip for next Christmas.

Room Tip: If your budget allows try to get a beach front room as it is so much more convenient.
7  Thank CTEASTONBOB
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Caneel did so many things right on our trip to St. John's starting with the warm reception and the ferry across from St. Thomas to St. John's. The beaches were absolutely fabulous and natural and plenty. You could get a rum punch and delicious meal brought to you, or choose to lay low and soak in the beauty while laying on a spectacular spread of sand, palm trees, and an understated but comfortable beach chaise. The people were warm and friendly and helpful. While taking in the visual beauty of the island from the beach, we did not see high rise buildings that were well lit and impressive, instead we saw buildings that were strategically modest from the outside and tucked away under lush greenery. We could fully appreciate the contours of what Mother Nature intended on this impressive island. The food was superb in all on site venues we sampled from room service to the breakfast buffet to the bar to the restaurants although one was being renovated (Zozo's) in August while we were there. I have stayed in many nice places before, but I have to say that this resort was perfect and exceeded my expectations in all categories. I plan to go back as soon as I can.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the main area, don't get a room near the gym. However, the gym is ve...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#3 of 4 in Cruz Bay

Been to Caneel Bay Resort? Share your experiences!