“Perfect location, Good food”

ZoZo's at the Sugar Mill
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Caneel Bay
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We are lucky enough to have visited ZoZo's both before and after their move to Caneel Bay. The new location is truly something special. The view's are gorgeous (we had a table "on the rail" during sunset) and the space in the Old Sugar Mill is just amazingly beautiful. The food was as good as I remember with the Porterhouse steak being especially awesome. The antipasto appetizer for two was well worth it and the homemade pasta is my favorite. The service was good, with a bit of a hard sell that I just waved away and didn't let ruin my enjoyment of the atmosphere or the food. Treat yourself, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

After reading reviews, I was excited to dine at ZoZo's. My husband and I stayed at Caneel Bay and dined at ZoZo's for his 40th birthday. While I requested a reservation a month in advance, we did not have the coveted seating by the railing, but one row back. It was okay we still had a pretty nice view of the sunset. I was a little worried after reading reviews about people being rushed through dinner. Everything started out pretty good, with our salads and bread being brought out in a timely manner. Our waiter Chris was nice but disappeared on us for long periods of time, especially towards the end of our dinner. The Lump Crab and Mango Salad was really good as was the bread. After finishing our salads it took almost 40 minutes for our entrees to come out. Unacceptable. The Jumbo Shrimp (3 of them) and my husband's Beef Tenderloin should not have taken that long. We were debating on telling our waiter to cancel our entrees and then they magically appeared. My husband's beef was more rare than medium rare and while my shrimp was good, we waited so long in between courses, we found ourselves not to be as hungry. We told our waiter and also a lady who came over to ask how everything was. They offered us each a small glass of dessert wine as a consolation. They never offered my husband a birthday dessert, even though that was clearly mentioned while making the reservation. We were very unimpressed with the whole experience and we did not go back during our stay at Caneel Bay.

3  Thank Jenny Y
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The high quality food, the beautiful new location at Caneel and the top notch service make this place number one for our whole family. It is our favorite restaurant on St. John and we save it for our last night as a way to celebrate. We have never been disappointed and have been going there for years now.

1  Thank CKLCG
Reviewed May 18, 2014

First time at their new location on the beautiful grounds of Caneel Bay. The donkey's walking all over the place was pretty cool and we got some great pictures as they're not afraid of people. We were promptly seated and the views of the sunset were amazing. Had the added view of deer romping and playing below on the grounds. Food was great, wine list extensive and service was very good other than the girl not bringing us back our cork from our very expensive bottle of wine as we collect them on our trips and the first one shattered when they opened the bottle but the server said she'd get us another one as that particular bottle was selling very well that evening. Not that big a deal but it was noticed.

1  Thank Clarkvara
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Our spring break found us in St. John, USVI a paradise island with a number of top rated restaurants. During previous travels to this island, we had made Zozo’s one of our “must”. We arrange for a reservation within days of our arrival only to be informed that the restaurant had relocated to a much better location on Caneel Bay and the recommendation for a 5:30 P.M. reservation with “a table on the rail.” This “most sought after” location would be perfect for the sunset viewing for a couple.

We arrived were promptly let to our table in, literally, direct blinding sunlight. Since we came to eat and not sweat, we asked if we could be moved. We transferred to a “house table”. Still had a view and the sun was still quite direct though we were not directly under it.

Our waiter arrived, formalities were exchanged and the review the specials for the evening followed. My wife has some food so she inquire about the first dish only to be met with a negative response in regards to the accommodation requested (can you replace the polenta with something else?) “No the dish is served with polenta.” “Ok, how about the nuts-crusted Mahi Mahi, can it be prepared without the nut-crust?” my wife inquired. “No, it is prepared with the crust, I recommend you select something else.”, was the server’s response.

She order a Salmon dish and I ordered the Mahi Mahi. Four small pieces of bread arrived at are table, slightly larger than a salad crouton each, inside of a wire rack container. Meanwhile we are watching the same type of wire racks going to other tables overflowing with bread (with a couple on them). Due to the miniscule servings, we ended up asking for refills of bread 3 times.

Slow service – The food finally arrives. My dish was ok, it lacked the traditional Zozo’s flavor that we had become accustomed to. The salmon, the ends were overcooked and the center was “sushi”. We brought this to the server’s attention and he retrieved her dish. A while later, after I had finished my dinner, the re-cooked fish arrived brought to the table by a tall, slender blond woman who as she deposited the dish on the table stated, “Let me know if this is better.” However she did not even stay. She spun on her heels and disappeared. Now the fish was overcooked and uneatable.

The tall woman returned a while later and asked “How was everything?” We told her of our history with the restaurant and how we had specifically made reservations because of our previous experience. We mentioned the table by the rail issue, the bread servings in comparison to the other tables in the establishement, and the lack of quality and flavor on their dishes. She answered with, “Have a nice evening”, spun around and left. The original server arrived with the bill. We paid and left.

St. John USVI has many other restaurants that value their customer a bit more than Zozo’s and don’t serve arrogance for dessert to their customers. Avoid this overprized, undervalue, arrogant establishment. The drive, meal costs and inferior customer serviced topped with the highests levels of arrogance make Zozo's one of St. John's places to avoid!

3  Thank J C