“Excellant, especially for beginners”

National Park Underwater Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's first marked underwater trail located near the shoreline, making it one of the best snorkeling spots in the Caribbean.
Reviewed November 28, 2011

In the beginning of learning to snorkel, or of discovering St John, this is a great experience. Advanced snorkellers will find it crowded and less positive. The markers are fairly well maintained, and there are always a variety of fish present. The coral has suffered, as is true everywhere. The beach is beautiful, but can be very crowded, especially when there are cruise ships on St Thomas. Go early or late to avoid the cruise ship crowds. If your first visit to St John, Trunk is worth the small fee.

1  Thank bobmnnpls
in 15 reviews
"beginners"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Like any popular attraction this can get so crowded you are not going to have fun. Check local papers for cruise ship schedules...go on the days with fewest cruise ships on St Thomas. They come over in droves and most do a loop that includes Trunk Bay, Bordeaux Mtn and North Shore views.

It is very pretty but very popular.

1  Thank hungrytraveler0
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Traveled with my 9 and 11-yr old. We all enjoyed the signs provided underwater so we know what we were seeing. We spotted a myriad of coral and brightly colored fish. The length of the trail was just right for most swimming abilities. If you are an experienced snorkeler, the trail is pretty basic. But, I've never seen anything like it on the mainland U.S., so it was exciting for this Midwestern Family!

1  Thank SmokeyBlueTulle
Reviewed September 7, 2007

This trail is great snorkeling for beginners as the underwater signs explain the fish and coral you are viewing, and you feel really safe swimming out not far from the beach. We also rented equipment on the beach for a few dollars. We were there on a day the beach was empty (Memorial Day), so it was great snorkeling for my friends who were beginners. I thought the coral was in decent shape for such a popular beach, but obvioulsy there are a million more advanced and undiscovered areas around the islands. Overall, I was really impressed with this National Park and think they're doing a great job of preserving this beautiful island! See my review for Trunk Beach.

3  Thank Chicago Amy
See more reviews
Reviewed June 28, 2007

This stop was a great part of our trip, and I really enjoyed the underwater trail to follow. As a new snorkler, this was a definate bonus for someone who isn't that comfortable in the water, and there were plenty of other people around if you got into trouble! I would strongly suggest going to Ocean World over on St. Thomas before learning to snorkel....you will find out a lot about the things you might see. I think I would have watched more and been more patient if I would have gone there first!