“Protected beach when the rest of the North side has swells”
Review of Caneel Bay

Caneel Bay
Book In Advance
More Info
$89.00*
and up
Caneel Bay Kayak, Hike, and Snorkel with Sea Turtles
More attraction details
Owner description: Made up of seven white-sand beaches along St. John's north shore, all but one are part of the private playground for Caneel Bay Resort guests.
Hanover, Maryland
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Protected beach when the rest of the North side has swells”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Small but protected beach due to its location.
This is where Lawrence Rockefeller placed his famed resort, where you reportedly can see the rich and famous who visit St John. I didn't see any, but was busy swimming in the cerulean sea.
Heard China bought the resort and have tried to make it private, but St John's beaches are open to all. So the Caneel Resort charges a $20 parking fee (most beaches have free parking), or you can hike in from the NPS hiking trails that start at the NPS HQ in Cruz Bay, and go to Honeymoon Beach, then take the trail/road to Caneel Beach. It's an easy and rewarding hike to Honeymoon Beach, where we stopped, picnicked, swam, then went on to Caneel.
Honeymoon was prettier, more fun because we were not snorkeling and we played in teh gentle swells, rested under grape trees,...

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Kathy M

Savannah, Georgia USA
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“My wife loved me all over again...but only for lunch”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went to Caneel Bay on our honeymoon. That was 17 years ago. Caneel has not lost a bit of its charm. We visited for lunch, and they were very much welcoming. It can be pricy, but not much more than other places, and given the atmosphere, it was worth it. The one thing that I felt was not necessary was the lunch bar area had a television. What I loved about Caneel was the lack of such things. I guess times change, but overall, Caneel has kept its charm

Visited July 2012
New York, NY
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Note that Caneel Bay is closed for 2 months starting 8/26.”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

At least, that's what the nice fellow at the gate told us. Couldn't even drive in to see the beach! Oh well, next time, I guess . . .

And I have no idea if the beach is average, terrible or Excellent. Tripadvisor MADE me rate it even though I didn't see it!

Visited August 2012
Kernersville, North Carolina
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“"Nice Beach!"”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Area is beautiful, quiet and not crowded like some of the other beaches. The water is so warm and crystal clear. There are some restrooms close by.

Visited May 2012
Trumbull, Connecticut
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Nice Beach”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Great Beach with nice, warm water. Great for snorkeling. It is calm and there is tons of fish. We even found a turtle! Also, it is free and restrooms are nearby. Note, however, that towels, rental gear, and beach chairs are reserved for registered guests of Caneel Bay Resort!

Visited April 2012