After some discussion, we decided to split our trip to St. John between Concordia and a resort on the other side of the island. Hands down Concordia was our favorite.
Location: It was on the far side of the island, and they give you information/taxi driver who is willing to make the trip out if you don't have a vehicle (it was about a 30-40 min drive from Cruz Bay). They are right above Salt Pond Bay. The hike down to the beach isn't horrible, and the beach is very nice. Snorkeling here was MUCH better then the North side resort beaches. Not only that, but it's right near Drunk Bay and Ram's Head Trail (and beach) which are both very unique from the other beaches we saw on the island. The views from Ram's Head are worth hike- not only looking back toward Salt Pond Bay, but also out along the East Side as well.
Room: We chose to stay in an Eco Studio which is described as a more "traditional hotel room" but I would say that it's actually beyond what you would see in a normal hotel. It was a spacious cottage with a kitchenette (stove, microwave, fridge and sink.). It would comfortably sleep 2-4 (double bed plus futon). We had our own deck, with great views- French doors to enjoy views from the inside. Aside from voices heard out on the deck it was VERY quiet for us in an upper unit. The window are open for air (NO air conditioning) but the breeze and ceiling fan made for comfortable sleeping. The only thing missing were screens on the french doors to leave those open for more air flow :) There were no-see-ums and mosquitos at night, but a dab of bug spray made all the difference.
I believe that it's most common for people to buy a few days groceries and cook in the units- (our taxi driver asked us if we needed to stop for groceries before we drove up)- and there are many instructions about how to store food, and what to do with leftovers. They do have some decent snack items available for purchase (or room charge) in the office, which we definitely took advantage of. There is a Cafe on site, which is what we chose to do. The hours vary based on season, but for us they were open for breakfast and dinner, which worked out perfectly for our days. The food was delicious, and the service was very friendly, portions and prices were great. Take advantage of Pizza Sunday. It's a steal, and it's delicious ! For other times or for a change, a short walk up the road is a small place called The Tourist Trap, which we visited once and were glad we made the walk.
The staff was friendly and helpful, not only with information on activities, but acting as concierge and setting up day, time and (for us) taxi. We found this really helpful because we didn't have cell service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Concordia Eco Resort is currently closed because of the significant impact from Hurricane Irma. We will be closed for the remainder of 2017 and 2018. If you have made reservations, our reservations team will be contacting you once we get communications back on-line in the upcoming months to refund your deposits. Thank you for your understanding and support during this difficult time. Concordia Eco-Resort offers a variety of accommodations to satisfy our die-hard Eco-Tent fans, as well as those vacationers looking for a few more creature comforts, unplugged and surrounded by the beautiful VI National Park. (Check out our new Eco-Studios.) Our 25 Eco-Tents and Premium Eco-Tents are independent units perch like tree houses along the hillside. A 15 minute nature hike to Salt Pond Bay provides some of the best snorkeling on St. John. Cafe Concordia serves Breakfast, Dinner, Happy Hour, and Sunday Brunch in High Season, call for seasonal hours, but feel free to take full advantage of the kitchenette and refrigeration provided in your unit for cooking year round. Hope to see you soon in beautiful St. John. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Concordia Eco-Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Concordia Eco-Tents Hotel Virgin Islands National Park
- Concordia Eco-Resort St. John/Virgin Islands National Park