“Invigorating and Beautiful”

Concordia Eco-Resort
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had so much fun here. Myself and my newly wed wife both feel that Concordia isn't particularly relaxing, but that the location and experience are invigorating and beautiful beyond compare. There were 130 steps from the front office to our unit, so it's a workout. We cooked all of our meals, the kitchen is well stocked with utensils, and the views incredible. The snorkeling right out front in Salt Pond Bay was wonderful.

I had a hard time sleeping the first few nights. We're from NYC so I don't think it was the tree frogs that converse with their buddies all night long. We arrived 2 days after the June 23rd Super Moon. That first night I woke up at 1:30 am, not to go back to sleep again. The moon was so bright I thought the sun was coming up.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Concordia Eco-Resort

Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of a busy resort, then this the place to stay. The resort is so calming and beautiful but the best part is it gets you back to nature. Splurge and stay in a premium tent - in order to take advantage of the cooling trade winds. The tents are like staying in a tree house but with a composting toilet, solar shower, propane stove, and fridge. There are great views overlooking Drunk Bay, Salt Pond Bay, and Ram Head which are close enough to walk/hike to. I would be remiss if I didn't mention how great the staff at Concordia is, always working to help you enjoy your stay. When we were there, the place was totally booked, but it was so quiet you would think you were the only ones.

Room Tip: Premium tents are more comfortable because of the cooling winds.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank betterthings2do
Reviewed June 26, 2013

It took me a while to write this review as I needed to process the vacation before I could do so. I really did love this place and, as other reviewers have said, it's a fantastic, magical very special resort. I believe you will not regret staying here.

What tanked it a bit for me is that I researched our stay thoroughly and, because I had a credit with Orbitz, I booked it through Orbitz. I booked at the higher price of a premium tent and my check out slip said, "Premium Tent". However, when we arrived they told us that we had not booked a premium tent, even though we paid the price for one. They were nice about it but said their hands were tied. And possibly they were. A note here: If you don't stay in the premium tents, it is HOT. There's just no other way to say it, they are sweat boxes that don't catch any breeze if you're not overlooking the ocean. Ours was very far away from the ocean side and consequently, incredibly uncomfortable. To make matters worse, two of the fans in the room were broken and our refrigerator wasn't working - and we had our two 5-year-olds with us. This was pretty depressing, especially in light of the money we had spent to get there. When we realized that this was as good as it was going to get, we threw ourselves into the spirit of the place and had an excellent time. Hot, sweaty and uncomfortable, but excellent still - which is a testament to this unique, special place.

When we got home I called Orbitz and went through a couple terse phone calls with them where they claimed they didn't book us in a premium tent, even though they charged us the premium price and our reservation from them said premium. After a while they admitted that they have no ability to book premium tents at Concordia. They just charge the highest price Concordia has and if they have a premium tent open, you're in luck. If not, it's sweat box city. This isn't the fault of Concordia, although I think they should put something about it on their website to let people know that they are the only ones who can book tent classes - with everyone else you're just booking a space.

So here is my advice - this place is great and you should go. Just make sure you book it through Concordia!

Room Tip: Do NOT book through anyone else but Concordia or you will pay for premium and not get it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank newmexicogirl
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in studio A17. Great views, very relaxed vibe to the place. Good thing about the studio was that we had parking pretty close to our unit so we didn't have to worry about dragging out luggage too far. Views were amazing, waking up on the bed you are greeted with views of the ocean in front of you. Always had a nice breeze and the sound of the waves really made it a great experience. Salt pond bay was to the right. Food was average but the views from the cafe were spectacular and the staff was very friendly. Salt Pond Bay was an easy hike and has amazing snorkelling areas to the right side of the beach near the rocks. Definitely recommend renting a car if you are staying here. We wished we could have stayed longer.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank able21
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed on st. Thomas for a week and at Concordia for 5 days! Both were amazing but if you are looking for relaxation to the max Concordia is your spot! Wonderful snorkeling, hiking, wildlife, so there is plenty of adventure and the staff is extremely accommodating and will make sure you get to do anything you wish to do! I couldn't go on enough about the staff, they felt like family by the end of the trip! We saw donkeys, deer, and sea turtles!! The accommodations were great but keep in mind this is an Eco resort. Every thing was clean, we stayed in A8 and it was larger and the kitchen was more equipped than our hotel back on St. Thomas. We went in January and the weather was wonderful. We didn't really get hot or cold and we really didn't have a bug problem but we took Off candles and did not turn on the lights once it got dark. The food was absolutely fantastic they have their own chefs and it was some of the best food we ate on our trip! On days where the restaurant was not open you can just make your way to the "Tourist TRap" where Miss Mary will fix you up with one of their special in house drinks and they have wonderful food as well!!! The view if fantastic from A8, we watched sunset every night and we loved the beach! Basically we couldn't seal more highly of the place and we can't wait to go back! So sorry we did t get our review up sooner!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Acsmith44
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had a choice between an all inclusive resort or one of Concordia's eco-tents. I AM SO GLAD I CHOSE CONCORDIA!!!! The last thing I wanted was to sit at a pool to relax and have to watch and listen to crowds of people and screaming kids! I needed relaxation and time to reflect on my life, marriage, and my spirit. I LOVE NATURE and this was paradise for me! There were people at Concordia but you just didn't see them much unless at the café or the main office. So quiet there. My husband booked this trip for our 20th Wedding Anniversary and it was every bit of what I imagined it to be. The eco-tent was more of a fancy tree house than a tent; with floors, sink, refrigerator, private toilet and shower. I enjoyed the constant breeze that we controlled by simply zipping or unzipping all the windows. We could hear the ocean waves crash against the shore and it quickly became one of my favorite sounds on the island. Hummingbirds and local "sugar birds" were everywhere. I was amazed at all the hermit crabs below our tent (P17) as well as all over the island. The tent had two twin beds with a small fans over them. We used them to hold our luggage. It also had a loft area with two twin mattresses. My husband and I pulled the futon out into a double bed. It was very comfy and I slept like a baby most every night with a lullaby of crashing waves below. One night it was hot & humid with very little wind. We brought a small, heavy duty (battery operated) fan with us so we were okay. Due to where our tent (P17) was located we were able to take advantage of the trade winds. So you definitely want to upgrade to a premium tent. There is a small clothes line to hang a couple of wet swimsuits & towels to dry. (keep in mind you're on an island, your clothes won't get completely dry) There are lots of places to hang clothes all in your tent. We really only used our tent at night as we were exploring St. John most of our waking hours. Be sure to pack a flashlight. We enjoyed the beautiful view of Salt Pond Bay every morning as we sipped coffee on our balcony and listened to the birds. My husband figured out how to percolate the coffee that we purchased in Concordia's store. To the left of the bay was Drunk Bay where the waves would crash. We didn't see other people, we didn't hear other people, we simply were in awe of God's artistic design. Humbled, in fact. We would charge our phones at the pool area or down at the main office. I took a break from my phone for an entire week using it only to check the time! (REAL relaxation) My husband brought a small (battery operated) speaker and, at times, played songs from a playlist that he created for our trip. No need for a hair dryer, rollers, or flat irons. You won't have an outlet in your tent but you could use one in the pool bathroom. However, the humidity will not allow you to style your hair. Just brush and go! (loved it) I have long hair so I wore a pony tail with a cap or hat. Many days I just braided the front part to keep it out of my eyes. My husband even complimented me :) Concordia places their eco-tents so that you have a beautiful view of the island and only when you look for other tents, will you see them. The shower is solar heated so you'll want to turn a lever to fill it with water in the morning and let it warm all day before showering that night. I LOVED the shower! It was different and we shared many laughs trying to figure it out. What great memories! The staff at Concordia were VERY nice and extremely helpful. I can't say that enough. They changed the flat tire on our rented jeep just as if they do that sort of thing everyday! I enjoyed the public transportation the first couple of days and recommend trying it just for the rollercoaster experience. However, we found we were limited to what and when we could do things as we were dependent on the bus to get us back and forth. We were wasting too much precious island time waiting on the bus so my husband rented a jeep. Loved traveling the island with him in the jeep. Driving on the left hand side of the road took a little getting used to. But it was the way to go given that taxis didn't want to come all the way out to Concordia. The staff at Concordia bent over backwards for us. So kind and sweet! I'm grateful to one, in particular, for opening my coconut that I had refrigerated the night before. The milk was sweet and the coconut made for a great snack throughout the day. If you buy a coconut from a local make sure it is not the "jelly" coconut, it is mushy. We carried a backpack with us throughout the day with "island cologne" (bug spray with deet) and bottled water. Concordia has a hiking trail that leads from the café to Salt Pond Bay & Rams Head. The staff will show you where it is. Bring a pair of walking/hiking shoes and (be sure to hike to Rams Head for the view) we bought those strange looking shoes that your toes fit into like a glove. Those came in handy when we were snorkeling/swimming. You can rent snorkel gear at Concordia for $8 a day. We were surprised to find a rather large barracuda while snorkeling at Salt Pond Bay. We saw another one and two sharks while snorkeling at another bay! We watched a beautiful sunrise a Nanny's Point next to our tent! I wanted to try yoga on the deck at Concordia but I guess that will have to wait until I go back. Some might say the steps up to their tents were exhausting and I would have to agree for the first couple of days. But by the end of the week they're not difficult anymore and you are in much better shape than you arrived. God gave us legs, get off the escalators and elevators until you "have" to have them! I'm not interested in the manicured landscape of a resort, for as long as I am in good health and can walk, jog, and hike; I will come back to Concordia and save the resort days for when I'm much older.

Room Tip: upgrade to a premium tent to take advantage of the trade winds
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pirbrightgirl
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our second trip to St. John. We rented a private home for a week but arrived on the island earlier than expected. We needed a place to stay for 3 nights and I read the reviews on Concordia and decided to give it a try. With two teenagers in tow, we arrived at Concordia on Wednesday, June 12 and checked in to P19 (a premium tent). Imagine Swiss Family Robinson was a hotel and you get the idea. Many wooden catwalks that seem like they are in the clouds and tents/cabins/rooms accessed by the catwalks. The views are amazing. OUr tent had a view of the atlantic ocean to the left and the bay to the right. Ocean breezes blow all day and you can hear the ocean waves pounding the surf 24/7. The cabin/tent was nice. A stovetop, small refrigerator, pots, pans, glasses, a queen sized bed, two twin beds on ground floor and 2 twin beds in the loft with a seperate, private shower adjacent to our tent. The water is all gathered by a cistern and heated by the sun. This is not luxury living but it is far from roughing it too. The hotel location was magnificent. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. The hotel does its best to provide a natural setting to enjoy St John. The only negative is that the futon was not the most comfortable for sleeping. All in all we had a great time at this Eco-friendly hotel. Very different from our usual family destination but that is what made it so great. On site pool,WiFi at the pool area and registration area and movie nights in the pavilion with other families. We will come again.

Room Tip: If you want the Ocean Breezes whipping through the room, the premium tents seemed to be the best. If...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in Virgin Islands National Park
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Concordia Eco-Resort? Share your experiences!