“We Heart Tent P13”

Concordia Eco-Resort
Seattle, Washington
“We Heart Tent P13”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We really loved our stay at P13. It has to be the best place in the resort. The views are just spectacular. Drunk Bay is rough with craggy rocks and crashing waves, looked like Ireland. Salt Pond Bay is a beautiful Carribean beach. (there is also Salt Pond which is a pond), and then the giant forested hill (can't remember the name) between the two, well it was almost overwhelming. All this was very accessible. We felt we were all alone out there almost. Every evening we had rum drinks and looked at the stars, every morning we watched Hermit Crab Highway. I will admit, I did feed the hermit crabs. They love fig newtons and bananas, don't care for grapes much. The compost toilet and the eco-shower sounded a little scary but was not a bit of a problem in any way. The place is like summer camp without the bugs and sand. We took our showers at night because we were out every day snorkling and hiking. We had to add cool water because the shower would get too hot. I don't know how it would be in the morning. There was pink eco-soap for hands and body and shampoo I guess, but it has an icky smell. The blue eco-soap for the kitchen was fine. Most of the staff was so great to give us ideas about what to do and where to go, I am so sorry I didn't write down their names. We brought our own beach towels and left them there. We brought Deet but it was awful and we only needed it once while watching a sunset. I would say bring something but not Deet. We went to Skinny Legs and Island Blues for drinks but really, you can get expensive hamburgers anywhere. Except conch fritters, you can only get those at Island Blues. We loaded up at the Starfish Market (there is a liquor store and drug store right there also) and ate in our tent on the deck or had a picnic. We did eat in a local place once, (ask a taxi driver), poor people, they were so afraid to give the white people fish with bones! Wow, their food was so good! Fish with gravy, baked green bananas, baked pumpkin. We stayed 10 nights, in the tent 6 nights and then moved to an Eco-Studio, A15. The tent was better to me, the mattresses were more comfortable in the tent, more privacy, better views, you could hear the surf at night, in the studio you could not hear much but other people. I could only wish for a ceiling fan and the tent would be perfect. The wonderful bartender at Island Blues said to take the ferry to Charlotte Amalie for a 45 minute ferry ride and a 15 minute taxi ride to the airport (instead of 15 min ferry ride and 45 minute taxi) but that ferry was broken when we left. I would much rather ride on a ferry than in a taxi. If you have to park your jeep (you are going to rent a jeep, get over it), Slim Man's by the Catholic church was so nice and also helpful about getting around. And we attended Mass at the Catholic Church, the locals know how to sing! and celebrate Mass devoutly. I could write a long time, but do go to Haulover Bay once you get comfortable snorkling, there are reefs unlike any other, just enormous in every way.

Room Tip: Get P13. It's the best. Don't get a studio unless you just can't handle the stairs. And...
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anonymous71301

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at Concordia for 10 nights starting April 28th. The first 6 nights were in a Premium Eco-Tent which we LOVED!!! P13 was a fabulous adventure!! However, to complete our time we had to move to Eco-Studio A15. It was very nice, I hate to complain. We're on St John and I am complaining???? This was a very large studio with a very large deck, very well equipped, (not very eco that I could see). The views day and night are out of this world, the French doors are just awesome, the ceiling fan was great, we were very comfortable. Well, the mattress was kinda hard but I am spoiled. My problem with the studio was it was level with the tents across the road, you could hear every clink of dishes at breakfast, people conversing, it was incredible in a bad way how sound traveled. Compared to P13, on the edge of Paradise, we felt practically crowded. And far from the hermit crabs. The staff is over all great, Salt Pond Bay is a wonderful place to snorkle (there are so many places to choose from) and enjoy the ocean. Don't feed those hungry Pearl Eyed Thrashers, you will be sorry. They do to your deck what pigeons do to statues. We had all our meals out on the deck and had to throw rocks at them continuously. We had no problem with mosquitos. Overall, we would have enjoyed the studio more if we had never stayed in the EcoTent.

Room Tip: Choose the Tents if you can handle the stairs. Choose P13!!! A15 had a very large deck which we enjo...
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anonymous71301
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I can't say much more than the other reviews but my experience was great. I went in August 2012 and stayed for 7 days. The only problem with the trip was that my SO and I arrived at the island and found out that the resident taxi driver for Concordia was on vacation. Waiting around the taxi area for 2 hours before another driver took pity on us and charged us a lot for it. Most drivers told us to ask the bus driver, the bus driver pretended not to understand and just waved me off. I read later that they don't allow baggage on the bus but i'm not sure anyone was even on the bus that late.

I suggest call before you book to make sure taxi arrangements can be made if you are not going to rent a car.

The only other time I had a problem was just with some of the guests. Younger guests kept going down a path near our tent which was taped/blocked off for safety due to a poor wood (not sure just remember hearing they could get hurt). I didn't care that much about them but that path went right through the tent/bathroom area and they kept shining flashlights into our faces.

To fix this try getting a better location than I did..

Anyways Concordia is a great "eco-resort", their practices are really inspiring. They use solar power, gravity fed showers, cisterns and water catchment for the non-potable water. All the staff was friendly that I met, they even fed us burgers once and a complimentary pizza. The swimming at the beach was great, definitely bring some snorkel and goggles before you go (Cressi is a great brand) because there are sea turtles, plenty of fish, squid, coral reefs.

There is Hiking all over the mountain, I was only able to do a few small hikes near the resort but each was special and not that strenuous.

I did see quite a few kids here but it was great for couples as well as families.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hien G
Murray, Kentucky
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was the most incredible place ever! The setting itself defines it and because of that, there is the awesome along with the uncontrollable. We stayed in the eco-tents--great concept, but ruled by Mother Nature. The winds/rain at night made sleep elusive for several nights. Sounded like a construction site in full mode! Flapping, pounding, etc. We were in E-9, out on the point. Maybe another tent might have been different, or an upgraded one, but we survived. The staff, the ame ities, the scenery, the food all made up for it. I'd go back, just to a different unit.

Room Tip: Decide whether view is more important than sleep
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lovesadventure04
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I love duck and at Concordia enjoyed a succulent duck entre that blew my sandals off. Simmered in a wine reduction, it was totally unexpected. I was envisioning something out of a freezer and instead got one of the best meals I have ever had. This on a Monday night when musicians gather early on Concordia's open terrace and jam during Happy Hour. There were lots of locals and tourists and the energy level was contagious. Then came the duck accompanied by a salad called Josephine's greens that are grown in town. They would have been a highlight anywhere in the world and with that duck, sublime. Great food, great staff.

Room Tip: Get a premium eco-tent
1 Thank Chris S
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My favorite meal from our week long stay on St Thomas and St John was the Caribbean buffet served Friday night at Concordia. Brisket, jerk chicken mahi mahi, mac and cheese, jalapeno cornbread and more. So goooodddddddddd.

And, as everyone else has stated. The location and service were fantastic. Would definitely return.

1 Thank Bbolen
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had an outstanding visit! The staff were amazing....the location was like a bit of heaven, the opportunity to live simply was refreshing, the food was healthy, and we got to rest. Thank you Concordia! We stayed two nights in the studio and two in the tent. I would have stayed all 4 in the tent....
B9 rocks!
Laurie and Karrie

Room Tip: If at all possible - pick an upper level and closer to the water. :)
1 Thank Laurie P
#2 of 2 in Virgin Islands National Park
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Concordia Eco-Resort? Share your experiences!