“Absolutely beautiful!”
Review of Waterlemon Cay

Waterlemon Cay
More attraction details
Owner description: A short swim from Leinster Bay, you'll find some of the best snorkeling on this small island, with its plethora of marine life.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Absolutely beautiful!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We actually decided to come back to Waterlemon Cay two days in a row because it was beautiful! Both days we were on St. John we rented a Jeep for $60 dollars (which was so worth it because we got to do and see whatever we wanted) we went up to Annaberg plantation and found this beach by accident truthfully. It was our own private beach the first time we explored it. We hiked up to the top of Johnny's trail which you should definitely do if physically possibly it's not too hard of a trail and the view at the top is beautiful! When we got done hiking it was dark so we decided to come to St. John the next day and I am so glad we did! The water at Waterlemon Cay is so clear it's like glass! We saw two turtles, multiple sting ray, over 10 star fish, barracuda, and lots of reef fish of all kinds! I will say that I did cut my leg on the rocks out by the island and I was slightly nervous swimming around with it bleeding that way but nothing bothered me at all. We thought the best snorkeling on St. Thomas has been Coki Beach but this trumps Coki! The current out by the little island isn't terrible. I know people have said it was. I am in no way a professional swimmer and made it all the way around the island with my husband but I will say that on the other side it did become rougher and made me a little nervous. But the coral and wildlife out by it is beautiful. If you're looking more for turtles or stingray stay to the sea grass up by the shore area more. If you check out the old ruins on trails behind beach there are thousands of little crabs crawling around on them. Do bring water, snacks, and use the restroom before going because it is a little bit of a walk and there are no restrooms. There is a restroom in Annaberg Parking lot but you have to walk about a mile from beach to get there. All in all it was an amazing experience and we loved Waterlemon Cay!

1 Thank Aabrown90

Brunswick, Maine
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Top notch snorkeling !!!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is some of the best snorkeling the islands has to offer!! Stay on the inside of the key and and when you reach the western end watch out for possible current. I only recommend that strong swimmer venture to the outside of the key as the current can pull you out rapidly!!! Go slow and quite and enjoy some best dish around!!!

Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Cool trip on dingy”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited via a dingy rental in front of the beach bar called Noah's little arks. The entire trip from the sea was great. The snorkeling wasn't as good as people say. Can't comment on any place better on st. John since this was our only snorkeling so far here.

1 Thank DRWNUT
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Our Favorite Place on St. John”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Wow wow wow. I've been to many awesome snorkeling spots around the world - Waterlemon Cay was probably my favorite. Easy 1 mile hike to the beach, where the sand is so fine it feels like powdered sugar. Definitely snorkel around the small island, it's an easy swim and not too far. We saw 2 nurse sharks, 2 turtles, 3 stingrays, barracuda, and a school of squid, among millions of other coral fish. Half way around the island it starting pouring on us - which was AWESOME! Something about snorkeling in the rain is really cool.

3 things to definitely remember:

1. The ferrets. If you leave your stuff on the beach and there's food in it, they'll get it. We came back from snorkeling to find a handful of ferrets in my backpack eating all our food - they're pesky!
2. The underwater trail is actually pretty lame. It's just a few placed plaques that say things like "don't touch the coral" - don't waste your time finding them just enjoy the snorkel
3. Definitely go visit the ruins kitty corner from the parking lot - it's an old sugar plantation and is where we saw our first deer on the island

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Clayton311
Memphis, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Worth the Walk”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It was our second visit to this snorkeling spot and we were not disappointed. It is about a one mile hike to the sandy beach area, but this is a great place to get up close with sting rays and sea turtles...we saw multiple on both trips. If you are up for an even longer hike, continue past the sand until you get to the point. It is rocky here and the coral is shallow at first so you have to be careful with your fins and watch for sea urchins. The colors around this point are beautiful and there are tons of reef fish swimming here. This is our favorite St John snorkel spot.
One tip: bring bug spray. On our first trip, we had no issues, but the latest visit had us being swarmed by mosquitos on the hike back to the jeep.

Visited September 2013