Book In Advance

from $76.48
from $40.00
from $100.00
More Info
All reviews self guided tour preserved ruins british virgin islands slave trade interesting history taxi tour nice break from the beach watermelon cay st john francis bay coral bay visiting st great spot north shore picnic tables slaves buffs
Selected filters
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This site is very interesting. It's well preserved and there are some sign with relevant info.
It's easy access (short walk) to the ruins and it has nice views.
I highly recommend it.
Bring water and a hat.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is mid-way between Coral Bay and Cruz Bay and can easily be worked in with a beach day on the Island. It's easy access to the ruins and because they're on the hilltop it comes with a nice view. I recommend it for a one hour side trip to get to know the island.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The wife wanted to see the site and I'm happy I listened. The volunteers gave us a lot of history on the site and "Ms Olivia" cooked up some awesome bread. Only issue is the taxis do not just stop there and getting back is the luck of the draw.

1  Thank DJWPA
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband I took the ferry from St.Thomas in order to visit St. John. We were entertained on the ferry by a local lady from St. John who told us a lot of the history of the island. I asked her if she was a tour guide but she, "No, but she could recommend an expert guide." Raphael was waiting for us at the dock. He was a tall, slim, striking looking man with the Bruce Willis hairdo. There was only one other couple who joined our expedition which made each stop very pleasant. Raphael has a vast knowledge of the area, a cultured accent which is very easy to understand and answered questions easily. We enjoyed every aspect of our trip especially the Annaberg Sugar Plantation which was very interesting to explore. Don't miss the many different fruit trees growing beyond the fences near the old rum distrillery ruins. Thanks to Raphael we had a wonderful day tour of the island and the difficult driving was left to his capable hands. Anyone wishing his number so they can contact him before they land on the island, I have his card information. Also, he is pictured in our photos so you can recognize him once you alight from the boat.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Very cool historic site. There are two knowledgable and friendly park rangers (Wassons) hanging around so ask them any questions because they have been visiting St. John since the 80s. We got to try some johnnycakes and passionfruit lime juice (delish) made by Miss Olivia and a lychee-like fruit, pure sugar cane, and coconut given to us by Charles. Both were very sweet and friendly. We mentioned to Charles that my father was having joint/knee pains and he ran over to the garden, dragged over a painkiller tree and gave us two giant leafs for him to heat and wrap around his leg! Charles even gave us giant bean pod maracas to take back with us! Beware that there are a few bees that hang around Charles and all of the sweet fruits over by the garden and we spotted a beehive right above the steps into the boiling room. I read in some reviews from the summer 2013 that there was a major bee problem that resulted in closure of the ruins.

1  Thank sarahjustpeachy