“Good Place to Explore”

Cinnamon Bay Nature Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a stroll along the self-guided Cinnamon Bay Nature Trail, which leads you through plantation ruins, tropical landscapes and scenic views of the Caribbean Sea.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

As with the Annaberg Ruins just up the road, the Cinnamon Bay Nature Trails is a nice change of pace from the beaches. I appreciated the plaques set up to explain what purposes the buildings once had and it made it easier to imagine what it would have once looked like (there's even a small graveyard there). We didn't have time to explore then entire trail so I will most likely make a point to go back on our next visit (because you don't visit a place like St. John just once!).

If you appreciate history, I think it too is a place to put on your list. It's very accessible (just across from the Cinnamon Bay beach parking) and the heavily-treed canopy made it nice and cool.

3  Thank Brandiebb

Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is a wonderful hike for those seeking and calm, easy hike. It goes around the Cinnamon Bay ruins through the woods and back around to the ruins. The are placcards along the way describing trees, history, and wildlife. It is a cool hike mostly under the shade of the forrest.

1  Thank VIadict
Reviewed June 13, 2014

The trail is only about half mile long and is not strenuous. You can see the ruins of an old sugar mill. There are lots of informational signs along the trail. We saw 4 deer. At the end there is a couple of papaya trees which had fruit hanging on them.

1  Thank WesJones1
Reviewed May 19, 2014

If you only have a short time interval for a hike, I would highly recommend the Cinnamon Bay Loop Trail. It starts across from Cinnamon Bay Beach and there a few parking spots right near it. It is relatively flat and winds by many scenic spots. Be sure to take your camera so you can catch shots of the ruins, the Danish Cemetery, Termite nests, and countless critters. We saw deer and plenty of lizards. I loved the interesting bark and shapes of the trees. Although the trail is relatively flat, I recommend wearing shoes. My adult children wore flip-flops, but sneakers are a better choice. I also wore bug spray, although the amount of bugs was not bad at all. Maybe we were just lucky.

2  Thank Buttercup92
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I did this hike while on a cruise in December and I really enjoyed the quiet and the atmosphere. You will see some neat ruins, and a great short hike that will give you time to explore the other areas of St. John.