“Beautiful”

$77.50*
and up
Half-Day Tour to Trunk Bay Beach from St. Thomas
More attraction details
Owner description: The good news: this world-class stretch of white sand and turquoise water is St. John's most photographed beach, which features a marked underwater trail for beginning snorkelers. The bad news: because of its popularity, it can get very crowded with cruise ship passengers and members of sightseeing tours.
Carrsville, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is absolutely the most beautiful beach we have ever been to! The water was so clear and there were very few people the day we went. There is tons of shade to get out of the sun.

1 Thank Beachgirl19572013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Pepper Pike, Ohio
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Perfect for first time snorkekers”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The undersea trail is fantastic; something to see for everybody. We went on a Sunday -- No Cruisers; very few people. Chairs and equipment for rent. Its an easy 1/2 hour tour; you really don't need fins, Word of Caution -- The Rental Shack closes at 3:30 and the park at 4:30, so plan accordingly!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank mmcginty99
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Must visit if your vacationing in the USVI!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I highly recommended a visit to Trunk Bay. My fiancé and were staying on St. Thomas and took the ferry from Red Hook to St. John (Cruz Bay). It's about a 20 min ride and cost $6USD one way or you can phurchase a round trip ticket for $12USD (I would advice against the later due to the risk of losing your return ticket and having to phurchase another). It is advised to get to the ferry 25min prior to the departure time. (This is a good idea, but not a must, though this is considered the U.S., it runs on island time. Be aware of time, but relax your on vacation!) The departure times from St. Thomas (Red Hook) to St. John (Cruz Bay) start at 5:30 am until midnight on the hour of every hour, but on the way back St. John (Cruz Bay to St. Thomas (Red Hook), the times start at 6:00 am to 11:00 pm (Which means, if your staying on St. Thomas as I was, you need to be planning on heading back no later than 10pm...depending where you are on St John and what type of transportation your utilizing).

I'm off the ferry now what?

There will be plenty of taxis waiting to take you to whatever beach you want to explore just a short walk from where you get off of the ferry. The taxis are "safari style"! Be prepared to be sharing one with some of the folks you ferried over with. The taxi will drop you and the other riders off in front of the park...yes, it is a National Park and their is a fee. The fee is $4USD for adults and free for kids 16yrs and younger. I almost forgot to mention that your driver will briefly stop on the way to Trunk Bay to give you an opportunity to take photos of the magnificent view of trunk bay from a high vantage point.

What to bring?
Your normal beach attire! We packed a beach bag with our towels, snacks, water and sun screen. The park has a small place to get food and drink (water, juice, soda, beer, burgers, vegi burger, etc...). There is also a place to rent beach chairs and snorkeling equipment. Be prepared to pay a deposit on top of the actual rental fee. You can also bring your own if you have it. We did not bring our own gear because I wasn't sure of the process to get from point a to point b and I did not want to be carrying a bunch of stuff. I will definitely bring my own gear next time, especially now that I know it's not that much trouble getting to Trunk Bay.

Once you enter the park it is a short walk to the actual beach, depending on the time of day you arrive and the day is going to determine how crowded it is. We went on a weekday around 1pm and it was not very crowded. We found a cozy spot towards the end of the beach and sun bathed and enjoyed the crystal clear, warm water. I saw a sting ray...not sure what kind, plenty of pelicans, small fish and a large sea creature I'm convinced was a nurse shark, which are apparently harmless. We spent hours enjoying this piece of paradise and later backed up our things, went to the entrance/exit to use the bathrooms and realized the park was closed and so was everything else...including the bathrooms. There were drivers outside the park waiting to take people back to Cruz Bay. A piece of advice...bring mosquito repellent! The driver told us to wait by his truck while he went to go see if their we're any more potential riders. While we waited we were attacked by mosquitos aggressively. The driver returned with some riders and we all rode back with our fresh red bumped battle wounds from the mosquitos. Don't worry! It's nothing a "painkiller", "bushwacker" or a simple shot of local rum can't fix once you get to Cruz bay and have some time to burn. We went to Bones, which is a store that sells local rum and souvenirs. It's right by the ferry dock...you can't miss it!

All in all a wonderful day trip and experience that I will,decently do again! I also have wonderful photos and video.

4 Thank Buckw1ld
Donalsonville, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very Nice Beach but too crowded”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

There were TONS of tourists at this beach. I'm glad we went but I enjoyed the more private, secluded beaches more. This was the first beach we went to. They had a small hamburger/hotdog stand and we had to wait in a long line for our food. But they had awesome showers and restrooms!!!

2 Thank pirbrightgirl
Coral Bay, St. John
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Not just for Cruisers ; )”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Trunk Bay is the most famous beach on St John and perhaps in the Caribbean. Its aqua water and soft white sand beach lined with towering coconut palms make it a picture-postcard location. This popularity comes at a cost - crowds.

But don't let the crowds deter you from spending some time on Trunk. Going earlier in the day or later in the day you'll see fewer people. Check the STT cruise ship schedule and you can predict the crowds. Head down the beach to the left ( as you face the water) and you an usually find some space away from the busier sections of the beach.

And last but not least - enjoy the water and snorkeling trail. Some people will tell you it's over rated. I'll tell you there are things to see at Trunk that you won't see at other snorkeling locations on St John. My favorite are the blue tunicates that seem to thrive here.

Visited January 2013