“The Sharkeys and Buckmans enjoy a little paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virgin Islands National Park
Cinnamon Bay Campground
Elkhart, Indiana
“The Sharkeys and Buckmans enjoy a little paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2008

We spent a week over the Christmas holiday at the campground. Our first experience in the USVI quickly taught us the meaning of "island time". The first cottage room we stayed in was surrounded by families and w/o asking the staff gave us the option to relocate to another cottage. Wow, that was nice and a great move that literally made our stay there more enjoyable.
We have roughed it in many other locations thoughout the states and the cottages were a nice way to semi-rough it. The change in cottages also got us a very pleasant surprise - a refrigerator instead of a cooler. Anyone going and wanting to have something cold should really inquire about this unknown "option".

Snorkelling is easy, just of the beach to the coral near Cinnamon Cay. It was a bit more crowded on the beach and in the water then we would have thought it to be. Then we realized that other people staying on the island migrated to the beach during the day. I guess they wanted to participate in this great place. The facilities were basic. Beach volleyball was set up (by who???) and was quite popular. Though the cold showers were not as refreshing as one would have thought. They were just cold showers. Did I say they were cold? Boo-hoo to me.

The campground had a great party on Chrsitmas evening with live music ("White Christmas" on the steel pan?!?!?!??) and some dancing. It doesn't hurt that at the restaurant the staff serves a rum and coke with the coke part of it just being used as "food coloring". ZING! They aim to please on their drink conncoctions. What they lack in bartending skill and knowledge they make up for with potency...

Yes the prepared meals and food bought from the store are expensive but you're saving so much just by staying at the campground, we didn't mind $13 for a six-pack. The restaurant menu is limited and at island speed, but where else you gonna eat, mon?

Recommended for the adventutous is a kayaking expedition. We went to Whistling Cay and enjoyed the solitary snorkelling there. Though the waves from the big yachts really made the journey and snorkelling a rough adventure. Bugs weren't much of a problem but we did get plenty of bites by the end of the week. Toilets back up often the staff let us know, the nights were warm and humid and in our cottage air flow was non-existant. But those are just inconveniences. Relax, this is paradise...

Bring just the basics and enjoy meeting other friendly visitors in this idyllic setting We didn't rent a vehicle and stayed at the campgrounds the whole week, except for the arduous trail hike up the mountain that afforded us only a minimally interesting view of the bay. Next time we'd probably rent a vehicle to get around and see more. But what are you gonna see but more great landscapes and beaches?

• Liked — photygrsaphic ooportunities
  • Disliked — humid nights with no air movement
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank joedodger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Deerfield Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

My boyfriend and I just got back from vacationing on the island of St. Thomas, and decided to spend one night on St. John, at the "Cinnamon Bay Campground". We decided on renting a cottage for the night, since I was not in the mood to sleep in one of their tents or bring my own tent for one of their bare sites.

After having lunch at the "Tree Lizard" restaurant (which has a great jerk chicken sandwich and rum punch), we checked in a little after 2pm, and walked down to take a look at the cottage. The cottage has 4 twin beds, and 3 of the beds had stained sheets; two pillows were also stained. I was tired and not in the mood to go back to the office, so we covered portions of the bed with large towels. That night, I decided to sleep in the clothes I wore that day, and not get too comfortable in or on the bed; couldn't wait to leave the next morning. I disliked the many bugs in the restrooms also, but can one expect at a campground. Will never stay there again, if I visit St. John again.

• Stayed December 2007
8 Thank LuverOfTraveling

Travelers are raving about these Virgin Islands National Park hotels

Sarasota, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2007

As campgrounds go, this one was very nice. We just had a miserable experience during the one night we stayed there, here's why:

We arrived after dark, which made it so much harder to find our campsite and get settled in.

We had to drive back into town to get bottled water and ice.

After sweating profusely, I needed to shower off. Since the bathroom was outdoors and it was night time, I had many, many bugs of all shapes and sizes accompany me in the shower!

The cots weren't terribly uncomfortable, but sleeping in the tent with little circulation in the stifling heat was probably one of the most miserable night's I've ever had.

After this experience, my husband and I both realized that maybe we weren't meant to 'rough it'!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bjsatt0
Naples, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

This is camping in paradise! I love snorkeling, and some AMAZING snorkeling was just a few hundred feet away from the tent. We spent every day at the beach. We loved the outdoor showers, clean bathrooms, and access to various parts of the island with the taxis. We met some really nice people in the campground too. We stayed for 2 weeks.

The only drawback was that we went in the summer (June), and it was very, very hot at night. Also, the mosquitos completely ate us up in the mornings and evening.

• Liked — The beach!
  • Disliked — The mosquitoes
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Debow
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2007

My husband and I just returned last night from a week in St. John Island. We stayed at the campground in a cottage and loved it! it is a camprground however it is 5 star camping, it is really lovely to be completed surronded by the sounds and smells of nature while you are staying feet away from one of the most pristine beaches on the island. Definitly take your bug spray, I like Avon's bug guard because you don't have to wash it off. The showers are outdoor open ceiling rock showers and do not have hot water, however after being in the hot sun all day we didn't mind at all. We had a fridge in our cottage and stocked up on groceries in town at Dolphin Market, a nice store with everything you need and reasonable island prices. I would recommend renting a car if you are going to be there for a week, the taxi rides add up after a couple of days. It is $7 dollars a person each way to get to town and back. The snorkeling is fantastic at Cinnamon, the dive shop has all the equipment if you need to rent. Also I would check out Trunk Bay and Salt Pond; we saw lots of sea turtles, nurse sharks, sting rays, and fish of every color. The campground employees are very helpful and freindly, however you must remember they are on island time so drink a bushwacker and chill. They do not respond to rude or agressive behavior. A local recommended to us on the flight over to always greet with "good morning" or "good afternoon" and this seemed to work really well. You can find great drink specials at Woody's in town and delicous conch fritters at High Tide. I almost cried when we left and will definitly be going back soon!

• Liked — Close to beach, relaxing, snorkeling
  • Disliked — walking to use restroom in the morning
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank HoneymoonerfromTX
Camano Island, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2007

Okay,
we have stayed here at least ten times in the past decade, but I can say it is going a bit down hill in the last two. I love the outdoors, but it seems like trash removal and irrigation is getting worse.
make sure you bring lots of mosquito coils or thermacells, you can get those from Cabela's for like $50, and they are well worth it!!!! The beach is to die for though!!!! The serenity and quietness is so nice, quite a change to what we are used to.
don't rely on the management for anything. dining to check out, taxi's etc. Make sure you bring lots of batteries for your flashlights. While in Cruz bay, you can pick up a couple tiki torches and citronella fuel, and it'll make your stay much better.
I will admit, I am kind of griping about these guys, but I will still stay with them instead of Maho bay, simply for the drive time difference.

• Liked — beach, seclusion, quiet
  • Disliked — bugs, bugs, damp bedding from humidity
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
10 Thank rusty_fwg
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2007

It's a campground, and if you're looking for luxury, this probably isn't for you. However, the place was lovely, the beach was the best of all we visited, the restaurant was pretty good, (although the hours were somewhat rigid, and the menu a little limited.
Only cold showers, but if you shower in the afternoon, you don't mind it so much. I thought the place was charming, all the people helpful and friendly. And you really couldn't beat the price, $27.00 per night for a "bare site" (bring your own tent).
Transportation outside the campground can be a problem, you may get a cab to take you out to a place you want to go, but there may not be one available in the outlands to bring you back.
All in all, we loved it and are taking the whole family back after New Years.

• Liked — It was very economical.
  • Disliked — Cold showers
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Bladewarior
#1 of 3 in Virgin Islands National Park
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Cinnamon Bay Campground? Share your experiences!