“Thieves!”

Across the Street Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Best Sport's Bar on St. John! 9 TV's Dish Network and Direct TV. NFL, NHL, MLB Packages!
St Thomas, USVI
“Thieves!”
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Went there for a couple of happy hour drinks and a veggie burger. It is ungodly hot at the bar with no fans and no breeze. Locals deal with that because of the SUPPOSED $1 happy hour drinks. Took several minutes for the bartender to notice me despite the fact that there were two of them and one was just standing around. My veggie burger and bun were dry. Here's the worst part though. I ordered a $1 well rum and coke and was told they were out of coke. What?! So I said fine, just give me a rum punch. I eventually ordered a second one. At the end of my dinner I was billed $22 for a $10 burger and 2 well drinks. SIX BUCKS a drink!!!???!!! They told me that because rum punches are on their "rocks" menu, they don't count for happy hour prices. I was dumbfounded. She said well drinks are well liquor with soda or juice. Isn't a rum punch just rum and juice? What ticks me off is that I originally ordered a well drink (during happy hour) but there was no mention of the price difference when I was forced to order something else. I will tell you this bar is the only one on STJ that pulls this. It is incredibly sneaky and deceitful. As a local, not only will I not go back, but I will make sure no one else I know does either.

• Visited August 2014

“Great food, okay service”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our second trip to Across the Street. Great people watching. Great, CHEAP drinks--probably the cheapest I've found on the island. Food was good, especially considering it was bar fare. Try the fish or steak tacos. Service left a bit to be desired this time around.

• Visited July 2014
Nokesville, Virginia
“Great Burgers”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The restaurant was totally packed when we were there for happy hour and dinner but our server really busted her butt to give us good service and was never distracted when she visited our table. The food was good, portions were generous and prices very reasonable compared to waterfront restaurants. Was hoping to get a great banana daiquiri but couldn't. Only fault I found.

• Visited June 2014
Brainerd, Minnesota
“Great Food, Good Prices and Fun Atmosphere”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We visited Across the Street twice during our visit to St John in early June 2014. It was one of the very few places that had a kids menu, making it economical for our family of four to eat out. Burger was great! Crab dip was amazing (and huge!) Great service, they were easy going and quick to respond to requests. Our family of 4 ate dinner and had a couple drinks, and walked out the door for $50 including tip (and for the caribbean, that is a deal!). My kids loved watching the people walk by and the chickens hang out at Woody's across the street. Note: there is no air conditioning, it is an outdoor seating place to eat, but you do get some breeze off the water. Well worth it!

• Visited June 2014
Chillicothe, Illinois
“Melissa and Anthony”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

This review is for Melissa and Anthony. They we the sweetest, best bartender and cook on St. John. Totally took care of us and made our trip one to remember. Wish we could get in contact with them?????

• Visited May 2014