“Great experience with SUP St. John!”
Review of SUP St. John

SUP St. John
Ranked #9 of 42 Tours in Cruz Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: SUP Lessons on St. John St. John with its beautiful beaches and warm water is the perfect place to learn to paddleboard. With a board you can get to those unspoiled places that cannot be reached by foot or car. It is best to start in a calm bay with little waves and winds. The basic technique (paddle stroke and turns) can be learned in 1-2hours. Everybody can do it, from 5 year old kids to 70 year old seniors. If you have paddled before or want to try it on your own, we also have high quality paddle boards for rent, you can do day rentals or weekly rentals. We also rent out snorkeling gear which you can add to the paddle board rental packages (we have the new Easybreath full face masks as well as traditional masks, snorkels and fins). Or go for a night paddle with our new LED night paddles!
Reviewed July 16, 2015

My wife and I brought our 14-year-old grandson with us for our first visit to the Virgin Islands, on the beautiful island of St. John. One of my goals was to introduce ourselves to the sport of stand up paddleboarding, and "SUP St. John" was at the top of the list of reviews that I read.

I contacted Lucy at SUP St. John to arrange for an introductory lesson for us. She found time for us, and we all met at the beach at our agreed time, with all the equipment we needed. We found Lucy to be an excellent instructor, and the equipment was very good. We learned the basics of stand up paddleboarding, and spent much of the remaining day practicing our new skills at Maho Bay with the equipment we rented from Lucy.

I can't speak highly enough of the instruction we received. Lucy was very good at watching our technique and correcting us when necessary. I noticed later in the day that our grandson was using proper technique, so it was good to know that he was actually listening to Lucy! This is a sport that I know we will both continue to enjoy when we return home to our lake living, and on future trips.

I feel privileged and inspired to have learned the basics of this sport from such an accomplished individual as Lucy. Would love to pursue more advanced techniques in the future. Very highly recommended!

Bill R.

1  Thank billrenn
Lucy S, Owner at SUP St. John, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2015

Thanks for your kind words, Bill! We really appreciate such a nice review! It was a great meeting you and a pleasure to teach you, you were great students and did very well despite the wind! I hope you will enjoy the sport for years to come and of course also be back on St. John some time in the future! Lucy

All reviews
"in great shape"
"highlight of our trip"
"next year"

Reviewed July 6, 2015

Had the pleasure of spending a week on St. John and enjoyed paddle boarding every morning while the waters were calm. Lucy and Steve were wonderful as they delivered our paddle boards on our first night and picked them up the last morning for us. This made it extremely nice not to have to worry about getting them and returning them so that we could fully enjoy our vacation. Thank you Lucy and Steve.

2  Thank karisa h
Lucy S, Owner at SUP St. John, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2015

Thank you Karissa! We are glad you enjoyed the paddle boards and really appreciate the review. It was a pleasure doing business with you, with easy, friendly communication, payment and boards returned in excellent condition. We truly enjoyed the great view when delivering the boards, it did not feel like work at all :)

Reviewed June 29, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I had a great experience with SUP on St John. Lucy was terrific and we spent the afternoon at Maho after our lesson. Highly recommended!

2  Thank Matthew R
Reviewed June 21, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I tried SUP for our 5 year anniversary trip. We loved every minute.
Lucy was a great teacher and got out in the water with us and was great with directions for helping us get the hang of SUP in a hurry

We will definitely be Doing more SUP in our future.

2  Thank Chrisreeves3000
See more reviews
Reviewed June 18, 2015 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had never been on a SUP on our lives. We met our instructor in a cove about 5 minutes from our villa. We learned the basics on land and then started practicing in the water. Each of us only took one spill and learned pretty quickly. We originally planned for a 2 hour lesson but because she taught us so well and we picked it up so quickly we decided to only get an hour lesson and rent the boards for the rest of the day. We saw sea turtles during our lesson and continued on to Maho for the rest of the day. It was a great experience! I felt so comfortable after our lesson that I would love to rent for the week on our next trip back!! She took the picture (and more) below and emailed them to us the day after! This is a great experience that you won't regret!!

2  Thank Raejae1010