“Great Bed and Breakfast!”
Review of Estate Lindholm

Estate Lindholm
Ranked #1 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
Arlington, VA
“Great Bed and Breakfast!”
Reviewed December 15, 2006

We were very happy with this bed and breakfast. It gets great reviews and it did not disappoint. I thought the room was nicer than the pictures on their website. We were in the Maho room, which is in the least expensive room category—a garden room. Even though it was a garden view, you could still see the ocean pretty well from our balcony. The view of Cruz Bay was great. The room was nicely furnished and the bed was very comfortable. There is also a sitting area with a small sofa and coffee table. There was even a little kitchenette area which had a sink, fridge, microwave and coffee maker—plus dishes, silverware, and stuff to make coffee, tea and cocoa . While not huge, the room was larger than I expected and the balcony was also very spacious. I only have two small complaints about the room—and these problems would definitely not keep me from staying there again. A few of the blinds were broken, so I felt the need to put pillows in the window so no one could see in (maybe I’m a little paranoid!). Also, there was not much water pressure in the shower. I remember having that problem at our villa in St. John last year also, so I don’t know if most places on the island have this problem. Or if they do it on purpose to conserve water. The grounds were beautifully manicured. The breakfast was sufficient. It was good, but not really anything special. We really liked that they had the honor bar with sodas, beers and liquors. That’s a nice touch and very convenient. The location was great. You could walk into town if you wanted (though we didn’t do this because there is no sidewalk). It’s a very short drive to town and also a short drive to the North Shore beaches. We liked not having to drive through town every time we wanted to drive to a beach. It’s also walking distance to Honeymoon and Solomon beach. It was about a 15 minute walk on a downhill trail to get to these beaches. To get back to the b&b you could either walk back up the trail, or you could take a short 5 minute trail to Caneel and take a taxi back. We took the easy way because we were tired after so much snorkeling, and we also wanted to visit Caneel B ay beach as well. We were also just plain lazy, afterall, we were on vacation! I also have to mention how wonderful our host was. Lauren was extremely helpful and answered all our questions about the island. She also arranged a great last minute snorkeling trip with Captain Rusty on Tressel. It was just the two of us and the captain, and it was a great price.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank laurenj31

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 27, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon on the beautiful island of St. John, where we stayed at Estate Lindholm. I chose Estate Lindholm because of the glowing reviews it received on Trip Advisor, and I'm so glad I did! It was just as wonderful as other reviewers had described, if not better. The grounds are truly stunning, our room was nice and had a great view of Cruz Bay (Jumbie Room), and there was plenty of peace and quiet, which I was looking forward to after the craziness of wedding planning. Lauren was a gracious host, and was extremely helpful to us about places to go and things to see while we were out and about on St. John. Cruz Bay town is a 5 minute walk down a hill (a steep one!) which was very convenient. Renting a car or taking a taxi down the hill would remedy that problem, but my husband and I were fine with walking.
The nearby Honeymoon Beach is lovely and peaceful, and although the trek down one of the Nat'l park trails to get there is a little strenuous, it is definitely worth it. Wear sneakers though, it's rocky! There was nice snorkeling down there too. We also took a day trip to the Baths at Virgin Gorda (you need passports for that trip, because it's a British Virgin Island) and to snorkel at the Norman Island Caves. It was well worth it...the Baths were impressive and beautiful.
I highly recommend staying at Estate Lindholm. You won't be disappointed! Thank you so much Lauren!
Lorna and Nathan

• Liked — The grounds, the view, the host
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
16 Thank LornaC
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Just a quick note to say thanks for everyone who posted on TripAdvisor.. the positive recommendations were right on point. Estate Lindholm was a fantastic place to stay. My new wife and I went there in July 2006 for our Honeymoon and stayed in the Honeymoon Suite.

From Day 1 our stay at Estate Lindholm was fantastic. We were picked up from port by the owner, Lauren and even dropped off on our return. She is a tremendous host and a great asset to have around. She helped us get around the island and helped us pick some great restaurants to eat at. I truly felt at home at Estate Lindholm. The entire grounds are lined with beautful, lush gardens.

Additional ammenities that you might not found at larger hotels were the free use of beach chairs, coolers, and beach towels - these were great to use. They also have guide books and restaurant menus in the reception area. Another neat perk was the "honor bar" - which included a fully stocked bar - beer, juice, soda, liquor, mixes, etc - we made some late night pina coladas!

The complementary breakfast was also very good. I know some people complained.. but here's the lowdown. Cereal (Raisin Bran, Rice Crispies, Fruit Loops, Shredded Wheat, a couple of others), french toast, waffles, english muffins, muffins, pastries, hard boiled eggs, and fresh fruit (pineapple, canteloupe, honeydew) There was coffee, milk, tea, and fruit juices. The food was more than adequate and much better than most hotels.

One additional nice thing is all the friendly people that we met at hotel. This includes Lauren and the tremendous hospitality everyone provided. We met people during breakfast and throughout the day. We even went to dinner with another couple.

Overall you are looking at a winner - EL is a short walk down (you might want to consider a taxi ride up) to Cruz Bay and many of the restaurants and shops.

I'm sure that we will be coming back.

• Liked — The hospitality
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
18 Thank mrmistry
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We recently returned from a trip to St. John and it couldn't have been made any better than with our stay at Estate Lindholm! From the moment that I called to reserve our room (6 months earlier) to the time that we left, we experienced nothing but wonderful hospitality from Lauren and Chris (Lauren's husband was out of town). These folks were so friendly and helpful, we felt as though we were leaving family after a week. Every piece of advice they gave us, from snorkeling to restaurants to shops, was perfect. If there was a better way to do things, I don't know what it would be.
We arrived late at night, but were still shown around the premises and given towels for a midnight swim. Our room had a MAGNIFICENT view of Cruz Bay and St. Thomas (the photo now hangs in my home). Each morning at breakfast, we visited with other folks to learn what their favorite activites were. Everyone was quite willing to help each other out with suggestions. That is, if you were willing to take your eyes off of the finches and hummingbirds eating along side us, the resident cats - Angel (no, we didn't steal her!) and Miss Kitty, and the UNBELIEVABLE landscaping that not only wowed us, but gave us the exotic feel of a tropical island - oh yeah - it is!
I spent half my time either laughing or crying at the feeling of actually being on St. John with its lush greenery, white sand and clear waters.....ahhhhhhhh....
Anyway, Estate Lindhom is THE place to stay on St. John. I can't imagine wanting to go anywhere else. Perfection has been found.

9 Thank musicgirl1
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2006

We won't repeat all of the very positive things that other reviewers have said about the resort and its staff, but they all are true. Estate Lindholm is a wonderful place, and it is ideally situated as a base for exploring the wonderful isalnd of St. John.

We mistakenly thought that Estate Lindholm had a garden -- in reality it IS a garden. The units and pool are surrounded by lush, well-maintained plantings.

We were also concerned that our "Garden" unit (we stayed in Cinnamon) would lack a good view of the water. In fact, we had the best of both worlds. Our beautiful view of the bay and St. Thomas was made even more enjoyable by the hummingbirds that fed from the nearby flowering trees.

Even the construction of a new building with four additional units was not a problem. Construction was limited to daytime hours when we were generally off exploring, and even when we were back at our room, the noise created by two or three workmen was not particularly distracting.

We will definitely return to Estate Lindholm.

• Tips/Secrets — Forget the beach towels - there are plenty available for your use
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Kyflour
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2006

We absolutely loved the Estate Lindholm. The grounds were so beautiful, and the rooms were well-furnished and kept very clean. Our room had a beautiful view from the balcony, and was a great place to watch the sunset. The setting is gorgeous, and the location is very peaceful and yet only a short distance to town. Breakfast was good and the management/staff were all very helpful and friendly. It was one of those places that you immediately feel at home in. Enjoyed our stay thoroughly and would certainly stay again!

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Penhook, VA
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Estate Lindholm for our 3rd anniversary, June 14th-19th and had the best vacation we have ever had. The resort is very laid back (which we really liked) and you feel like you are the only people there most of the time. We really enjoyed the continental breakfast, although it was not the Cracker Barrel, it was nice. The rooms are very open and have a microwave, refrigerator, and plates. We hiked down to Honeymoon and Salomon beaches two days. The hike is about 15 minutes and is not very difficult. I would not recommend the hike for a small child or an older individual, but if you are in much shape at all it is pretty easy. Honeymoon was our favorite beach on the island, perfectly clear water and white sand. We are not snorkelers, so I can't give any input on that. All of the staff at Estate Lindholm were excellent and we cannot wait to return. In the evenings we hiked down to town, which again is not bad if you are any shape at all. The hike back up is a little more difficult and be sure to take your flashlight, which is provided in the room. We forgot to do that the first night, but remembered it after that. Asolare the restaurant next door to Estate Lindholm was great, excellent service and food; however, it is expensive $130 for 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, plus tip. We also really enjoyed Margarita Phil's and Skinny Legs. We probably would not go back to Cafe Roma or the China Shack. The food was not very good at Cafe Roma and it was very crowded. The China Shack was alright, but $50+ for 2 people to eat Chinese? All in all the trip was excellent, when we left the island and after taking a sunset sail with Captain Phil on the Wayward Sailor (which is a must do), we left the island hoping that the development will slow down (probably not likely). St. Thomas is very commercialized which is great for people who need something to going on every minute while on their vacation, but for people like my wife and myself we really enjoy the laid back, relaxing feel of St. John. We both hope that the search for the almighty dollar will not ruin this beautiful island.

Jeremy Adkins

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Gallows Point Resort
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay

Been to Estate Lindholm? Share your experiences!