Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“A false economy”

Hillcrest Guest House
Ranked #3 of 5 B&Bs / Inns in Cruz Bay
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed here as it was one of the cheapest places to stay on the island (not cheap in general terms however) but was disappointed mainly with the standard of cleanliness and the insect infestations but let's start with the positives :
Pros - excellent location, walking distance to cruz bay shops and restaurants (however the steep hill climb was not easy esp in the heat), owner picked up from ferry terminal, welcome guest basket of fruits very nice touch, AC in good working order and good sized rooms.

Cons - thick layer of grime on most surfaces including the kitchen, holes in the mosquite grilles so hey got in and we got bitten to death and worst of all at night cockroaches came out to play in the kitchen!
I wanted to leave but my travelling companion refused. I wish I had as despit how beautiful st john was as an islanf when I remember it the memories as marred by the dread I felt on having to return to this place...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank SXR101
hillcreststjohn, Owner at Hillcrest Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

A professional crew cleans suites before and after arrival. Guest are encouraged to place trash in receptacles just outside their door. Suites are inspected and sprayed in case of attracting anything crawling.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

Give it a try, much nicer than a hotel. Walking distance to everything, charming with great food. Hosts know all the ends and outs of the island and are excellent and friendly innkeepers. I come to St John a lot and always recommend this place. Great value, great people, great place.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

I chose Hillcrest after reading consistent online reviews for 2 years. My last visit to St. John I stayed at Caneel Bay which is extremely pricey. I have to say I enjoyed this trip even more! The owner of the Hillcrest was so welcoming and such a lovely woman. I loved her dogs as well! We stayed in the Front Suite. She stocked the room with lots of alcohol and some snacks and breakfast food, so basically we just ate dinner out each night. So close to town, the hill is a little too steep for me to climb but going down was a breeze. Easily took cabs everywhere, it turned out cheaper than renting a jeep, plus didn't have to worry about navigating those roads! The absolute ONLY recommendation I could think of is to bring your own snorkel equip. or rent it down at Low Key Water Sports. The owner keeps a few sets but if other guests are using your size fins your out of luck. If I had $$ I'd buy some snorkel equipment to donate to the Hillcrest. Loved it and can't wait to visit again.!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank musicsaves9
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I had a wonderful time staying here. The place was beautiful, the view was spectacular and the owner was such a pleasure to be around. I think everyone will have an experience like mine when staying here. You will not find another place as welcoming on the island. The owner really makes you feel like family.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank jy_brn
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Hillcrest is in a perfect location, easy walk to town (the hill is steep but not very long) and quick walk to Frank Bay for great local snorkeling. We stayed there for 3 nights in April 2011 and loved it. Phyllis is a wonderful host and supplied us with some staples in the fridge, not to mention delicious island rum. Her prices are affordable for nice clean basic rooms. When the rest of our group arrived in St. John we moved to a Coral Bay villa and while it was very nice, we really missed the convenience of Hillcrest. If I am lucky enough to go back to St. John, I will be staying at Hillcrest again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BookWormTravels
Reviewed April 14, 2011

We spent 3 nights at the Hillcrest Guest House on St. John this week. I wasn't for sure of my online choice when we pulled up, but the owner has made it a clean and comfortable place to stay. I enjoy staying at places that are not "chain hotel types". This one reminded me of a restored plantation cottage we stayed in on Maui a few years ago. We stayed in the Tropical Garden Suite at the Hillcrest. It had a bedroom with a queen-size bed, closet, safe; and window air conditioner; a living room with a futon, tv and air conditioner; an adjoining dining area with table/chairs; plus a kitchen with full-size refrigerator, oven, sink; dishes, pots/pans. There is also a private bath with sink,stool and shower. There was a basket provided with bagels, muffins, apples, peanuts, chocolate, tea and coffee; and the refrigerator was stocked with sodas, juices, drinking water, eggs and bacon. I believe there are 3 units/suites that are available for guests and the owner lives in the downstairs suite. We could only get 2 or 3 channels on the tv, but there are DVDs and VHS tapes available for watching. There were outside sitting areas with a couple having ocean-views. There are books and board games for your use. Parking is a little difficult to maneuver, but it is a problem on the entire island. You can walk to town, but it is a good "heart-workout" to get back up the hill. It is only a few minutes walk down to the water - but again a good walk back up the hill. The owner is very nice and has made a comfortable place for her guests. The only con that I can think of is that there is only 1 washcloth and towel per person and those are changed out on 3rd day. Water is a precious commodity on the island though, so I can understand the need for "conservation" by not doing a lot of laundry, etc. Restaurants and food are very expensive on the island - so the full kitchen is nice to have so you can prepare your own meals. It was a little noisy with the neighbor doing some remodeling, but wasn't too bad. There was a wonderful morning and evening breeze outside, so being able to open up all of the windows or sit outside and enjoy it was nice. I would recommend the Hillcrest and we would stay there again if we get a chance to re-visit St. John. If you are wanting "luxury" - this is not going to suit you -- if you want a good clean place to stay with a neighborhood feel to it - you will enjoy your stay here. One recommendation for groceries is the Dolphin Supermarket (by Jake's Cafe.) There is a smaller market, but the food is a lot higher in it. and not as good a selection. Cafe Roma is a good place to eat, though as most places on the island - a bit on the expensive side.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TXLuv2Travel
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This charming guesthouse has several studio housekeeping apartments with everything you could want for your stay, not only pots and pans but also snorkel equipment, cooler and beach chairs! The thoughtful owner also gives you a welcome basket of food goodies and some basic breakfast items to cook, plus a bottle each of rum and wine. Nice covered outdoor lounge area. Hillcrest is a great place to stay at a reasonable cost. The only negative is an uphill walk from town - short but steep!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 17 in Cruz Bay
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Hillcrest Guest House? Share your experiences!