“Three Cs- cute, convenient, clean” 4 of 5 stars

Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Three Cs- cute, convenient, clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My stay was on Nov 3. I was pretty happy with this boutique hotel. The reviews I read on TripAdvisor were precise in that it is very, very clean. The walk from Cruz Bay is quite short. I was totally surprised to find that is really is "only about 5 minutes" after you get off the ferry. I was solo on this first day and night on St. John.

Denise, one of the owners, is so kind and helpful. She was actually waiting for me when I arrived with key in hand and helped me carry my luggage upstairs. The building is about three stories tall, small sized rooms, a really cute balcony with seating, a few plants, colorful flowers growing about.

Denise also helped me tremendously when I needed help finding an AT&T shop, my hotel for the next night and a market by sitting with me and mapping out my routes.

When I first saw my room, I thought "how neat and clean and cute" with the green and white decor. It was as simple as I expected from other TripAdvisor comments I'd read. The idea of a budget boutique hotel being so appealing is great to me. I had a queen size bed, a small dresser, small fridge with bottled water, a very clean bathroom with a shower, flat TV and air conditioner in the window. There's wi-fi also with a passcode provided by Denise.

When I returned to the room late that night, I slept really well despite hearing the noises from the streets (remember you are in the heart of downtown St. John) and nearby clubs, bars, etc. Please note there was not noise that kept me from falling and staying fast asleep! When I left the room the next morning, I found a nice continental breakfast awaiting me on the second level porch-- probiotic yogurt, bagels, juice, oatmeal, milk, fruits, FRESH BAKED GOODS too. I easily walked down to Cruz Bay and the beach right nearby- more for watching the boats than swimming in since so many boats are there. I understand there is Honeymoon beach nearby and one other. You are in the middle of town, so there are plenty of places for a meal, shopping (a great second-hand shop is right across from the hotel), a food market (Dolphin) and bars.

I would definitely stay again. I needed one more night but they were booked. Denise kindly recommended another hotel when we (my husband flew in the next day) changed our plans to stay on St. John two days later.

Thanks, Denise! Ladies, if you have any doubts, don't feel that way. I felt perfectly safe.

Room Tip: Denise and her husband responded promptly to my email messages asking for information. I'm sure...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We found Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel on Trip Advisor and booked for 7 nights for our first trip to St John USVI. The hotel was a 5 minute walk from the ferry dock, and a 5-10 minute walk from anything you would want to do in Cruz Bay. Everyone has their idea of what the right type of accommodations are for them. It being our first trip to St John, my husband and I simply wanted a convenient and clean place to sleep and shower. We spent most of our time out and about exploring the island and beaches. The rooms are small but have all the essentials, including air conditioning, however the free standing AC had a tough time combating the St John heat. Our room would get to 78 degrees but not much cooler. That was minor. We enjoyed our stay there and the overall value and convenience of the location outweighed any concern over space or AC.
Denise greeted us upon arrival and we saw David almost every morning at breakfast. It was nice to have some coffee and pastries/fruit for the morning. They were both very helpful in making suggestions on where to go, what to see and where to eat. I highly recommend the CBBH for first timers to St. John or anyone who is budget conscious and does not require a luxury resort. It is a very clean, comfortable and affordable place to stay in St. John!
Some other info: we rented a jeep for 3 days but canceled after 2 days. Once you have driven the island, a taxi is the more convenient and cheaper way to get to beaches that you are not able to walk to. Favorite restaurants: Rhumb Lines, ZoZo and Fatty Crab !

Room Tip: We were in Rm 6 which we believe to be the smallest because the hotel laundry/office cut into the ro...
1 Thank luved_kauai
Randolph, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I traveled to St. John on business and stayed one night here. A very nice place to stay right in the heart of Cruz Bay just a block or two from the ferry dock. Room was exceptionally clean. We stayed in the back of the hotel; room #4, I believe, and found it very bright and cheery. Room included a small fridge, too. We both recommend this place. And the price (during shoulder season) was very reasonable. David was terrific to us. We checked out at 11:00am and he let us store our bags at the hotel while we went and conducted our business. Will definitely stay here again if possible. Despite its central location, noise was not an issue for us as we ran the a/c all night. Enjoyed the crowing of roosters at the break of dawn, too!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank punchbuggy_winnah
Huntersville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We just returned from our trip to St John and cant say enough great things about this small hotel. We planned a week in St Thomas but went two days early and I found this hotel on tripadvisor. All the great reviews were right on with this place. It is centrally located in the town of Cruz Bay and within walking distance of everything in town. We found the hotel easy because whether you rent a car(which we highly recommend) or ride the ferry it is close to the ferry dock. We walked up the stairs and meet the owner of the hotel which is a super sweet family. They helped carry our luggage when we checked in and we when checked out too. They helped us with a ton of information about the town and island. We unloaded the car and there is no parking right at the hotel but there is a free parking lot about a five minute walk away near the car ferry dock.
The rooms were perfect for us because they were small and neat. We didnt plan on staying in the room much just to sleep and shower so it worked great. The rooms are perfect for one or two people because there is just a bed and shower in the room. The one negative is the shower is not all that big but we made do. Other than that the room was perfectly decorated with white wash walls and we loved our stay. Every morning we had breakfast that consisted of fresh pasteries along with fruit and drinks. The best thing is the hotel is right in the heart of Cruz Bay and happy hour is around 3 till 6 every evening. So thank you to the wonderful family who help made our trip great.
There is a couple of things to consider even though this place is great. One main thing is the hotel is located on the second floor so there is no elevator and you have to walk up a flight of steps to get to the hotel. The shower was pretty small but worked ok for us.
When you go to St John and stay here there is a few things we highly recommend to do. Rent a car for sure so you can explore this beautiful island. Stop by all the great beaches with the softest sand in the world. Trunk Bay has a great underwater snorkel trail. We stopped at Cinnamon Bay and Maho beach. We actually saw stringrays in ankle deep water at Maho along with sea turtles. Make sure you get to Coral Bay and see this wonderful side of the island but most importantly eat at Skinnylegs as well as do your shopping there. Shopping in Cruz Bay and Mongoose Junction is pretty expensive compared to Skinnylegs. The only other place we ate was Woodys in Cruz Bay and it was awesome. Other than that you are on island time so slow down and enjoy Mon!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CaribbeanSidewinder
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

My wife and I spent 4 days at the CBBH, the last week of October. This is a perfect place to stay, if you just want a clean place to sleep. The Island is beautiful, and you will be spending most of you time on the beach or exploring. I would highly recommend renting a jeep and driving the Island and beach hopping. The best beaches are Cinnamon, Trunk, Honeymoon and Lester bay. We stumbled upon a restaurant called “Le Chateau de Bordeaux”, which has the best view of the Island. Not one person mentioned this place to us, and it was the nicest overlook on the entire Island. Real easy to drive on this Island compared to St.Thomas. I hated St.Thomas and glad we spent only Three Days there (Ritz was nice).
As far as food is concerned, we loved Rhumb Line, ZoZo and the one on the water at Cruz Bay ( Forgot the name). Some of the best food I have ever eaten. The owner’s Denise and Dave are really cool people and housekeeping is better than the Ritz.
The only reason I would not return is that I need a balcony w/ a view. Our balcony had a view of a Rasta looking guy sleeping on a pool table and a rental car parking lot (Rm #4 ). Also, you might want to pack ear plugs. The wall unit a/c and floor unit were very loud.
Anyway, great B & B, nice people, but next time, I will stay at the Lindholm Estate B & B (Awesome balcony views), and see how they compare.

Stoneham, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I had the pleasure to stay at Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel in the heart of Cruz Bay October 7-10 2011. We loved the ease of being right in town, no car was needed. We got off the ferry from Red Hook and walked right to our hotel with a warm welcome from Denise (owner) that was so much appreciated after a long day of travel from Boston.
Our room was neat and well equipped with a mini fridge and private bath with nice shampoo, conditionor and soaps. A perfect morning coffee service with breads, fruit and yogurt was provided each morning. Dave and Denise gave us all the best spots to explore and happy hours were great at all the local bars/restaurants. We would recommend CBBH to those who do not wish to be part of a big resort and be more in control of their vacation and spending. The basic B&B was perfect for us, we spent most of our time out at the beaches!
I do hope to return! Thank you for a great experience!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel at the beginning of September for 8 nights. We spent 5 nights in a smaller room and 3 nights in the Penthouse. The smaller room was very nice, cozy, and clean...but the Penthouse was amazing. We felt like we are in our own home, so spacious and homey with everything you need. David, Denise and Kathy were so helpful and accommodating, and never seemed annoyed with all my questions. They had great recommendations for beaches, snorkeling, and dining. We LOVED St. John and are planning on returning in the late spring. Hopefully, the Penthouse will be available, if not we will take whatever they have. Be sure to have a Lime in Da Coconut drink at the Lime Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
4.5 of 5 stars 557 reviews
The Westin St. John Resort

Been to Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!