“Amazing Island Sports Bar”
Review of Castaway's - CLOSED

Castaway's
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
New York, NY
“Amazing Island Sports Bar”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We came to St. John during the World Series, and we're worried about where we were going to watch the games. I was praying for a Red Sox bar, and we were lucky to find one. Castaway's was excellent. $3 coors light, awesome happy hour specials, and great finger foods. I recommend the chicken tacos.

The ambiance is what you would imagine in an island bar - colorful, laid back music, very friendly staff. We met Dan, the owner, and he was super nice and thanked us for stopping in. The bar tender that night actually had floor duties as well for the entire upstairs, and did a fantastic job making her rounds and tending bar. I was impressed by her memory for people's drink orders, and she was very friendly and lively. I will reiterate: great staff!

Locals, snowbirds, and tourists frequent this spot, and everyone has a great time and seems to mesh well together. They have karaoke downstairs on Tuesday and Wednesday - I'm not much for karaoke, but if that's your thing, this bar has it. There are two floors, and I recommend the upstairs. It's open and airy and has a bunch of TVs if you need to catch a game.

I'm glad we came upon this place, and I can't wait to go back. Really a great bar, and one that I would be a regular at if I lived here.

Visited October 2013

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Love this place!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Being a Red Sox fan on the day of the biggest game of the year (so far) I was happy about being in Paradise but nervous about where I was going to watch the game. Well, Castaways was recommended and it did not disappoint. The food was very tasty and the service was polite and friendly. The atmosphere was fantastic and the crowd was very welcoming. If I was at home in Boston my bar tab would have been double what it was, the cherry on top of the sundae. We'll be going back again and again.

• Visited October 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, United States
“St. John's Hidden Gem”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My mother and I recently visited St. John for a girls week getaway. Castaway's was our "go to" bar during our entire stay. Being from Philly, it was important that on Sunday I was in front of a TV with the Eagles game on. This was the only bar that I found had the game. Megan, Victoria, Sophia, Stephanie, Jimmy, Dan and the rest of the staff were all so helpful and personable that I felt right at home (they must have made a good impression for me to be able to name over half of them). Two of the nights they had karaoke which was a blast. If you are looking for a more laid back atmosphere, there is a smaller upstairs bar with a few TVs. Overall, Castaway's was my favorite bar in St. John. Just a down to earth, REAL place to be! Thank you Castaways staff for making my trip to St. John a memorable one!

• Visited October 2013
Slidell, Louisiana
“Cool place”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We were on St John for two weeks. Dan always made sure we could watch our Saints game. Good bar food, great drinks and a very friendly staff. I love this place

Orlando, Florida
“Castaway's was the perfect wateringhole!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed on St. John for our 20 year anniversary. One night we decided to go in town to grab a bite to eat and do some bar-hopping. We ended up at this somewhat hidden bar called Castaways....and man we are glad we found it! Stephanie the bartender was awesome! She took really good care of us and was down to earth. The atmosphere of the place was exactly what we were looking for. The owner came in during our visit and began talking to us and telling us about the changes he has made since he bought the place. We were very impressed and felt right at home. We came back the next day (Sunday) to watch the football games. Great experience. Stephanie, your the best!

• Visited September 2013