“Perfect Week at Sunset Ridge”

Sunset Ridge Villas
New York
“Perfect Week at Sunset Ridge”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just spent a week at Sunset Ridge, and had a great time. It had been three years since we were last at Sunset Ridge and were very happy with the upgrades. New mattresses, kitchen cabinets / fixtures, indoor & outdoor furniture, as well as the beach chairs, towels, and coolers were all appreciated. The view from our villa was unbelievable, and we watched the best sunsets on the Island every night.
The management company has done a great job, and we're sure the improvements will continue.

Aside from the villa, we enjoyed our days at Francis Bay, Maho Bay, and Salt Pond Bay, and some of our favorite dinners were at La Tapa, Asolare, Fatty Crab, and Joe's BBQ.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pa
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were fortunate to be able to return to Sunset Ridge Villas again in November. Great time of year to be there. Just before the season begins - warm weather and water, less people and local business gearing up for the season.
NO MORE plunge pools. Courtyards are more open and the main pool is great let along the REALLY big pool - provide by nature. Villas continue to improve, what a change from 2007.
Hope you also enjoy!

Room Tip: All six units are fine. Very quiet and private. Perfect for two couples with two building and common...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pjpman
Bonaire, Georgia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The view is amazing and where else can you stay with a group of 7 and not be crowded. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They provided, a welcome package, (loved the rum), beach towels, chairs, coolers & everything else you can imagine. The only thing it needs to be equipped with is bug spray. The no-seeums are terrible! Just remember there is no air-conditioning in the units but they do have ceiling fans and box fans. I would recommend this place to anyone who has a large group traveling with them as long as you don't mind getting back to the simple things in life. Also found "Hawksnest Beach" to be the best as far as snorkeling, many different coral areas. We snorkeled all beaches and this was absolutely the best for viewing a variety of fish. Also found Iguanas bar to have the best grouper fingers!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Beverly E
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

St John (SJ) is a unique type of island that steals your heart. I have been to many islands from Bahamas to Grenada but fell in love with SJ. If you are middle class & on a budget and don't have to stay at The Ritz - Sunset Ridge is a great place to stay. It's affordable, clean & they are doing upgrades all the time. Little no-seeums, and other little bugs do live all over SJ. I have never had bugs in my dresser, bags and there have been curtains on windows. The furniture is not the very best - but unless you want to pay Westin or Caneel Bay prices - then you look past the furniture. It's clean. We bought 2 weeks at SRV and we love it. The owners are continually doing upgrades & it has come along way. I would recommend it to anyone. I will say there is not a/c. But the breezes & fans at night keep you cool. And we are not there anyway - we are at the beaches, in town - out having fun. The poll looked liked it had been scraped & repainted and I saw no animal feces.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank LinDav55
Pa
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We are back at Sunset Ridge Villa for two weeks in May. The view is the best. With just six units it is very peacful and friendly. Water and weather is warm and less people. Great time to be back on St John.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pjpman
Oyster Bay, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We returned to Sunset Ridge (4/28-5/5) after several years to find that the new management company has done a terrific job in renovating the villas and property. Where else can you find a 2 building villa with pool and outstanding views for a reasonable price?! The units are clean and spacious. Beach chairs and towels are provided. Foliage has been cut back to allow outstanding views. Unit E offers a panoramic view from the Westin west to St Thomas.
No need for air conditioning. There is always a breeze on the hill.
The beaches are all beautiful. Our favorites are Maho Bay and Francis Bay.
The restaurants in Cruz Bay can be expensive. The best deal is Joe's for BBQ ribs - eat there or take out.
We will go back next year!

Room Tip: Units A and F are least favorites. Units B and C overlook the pool. Unit E has widest ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chacunasongout
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Date of stay: July 16-23, 2011.
My review was posted in the wrong area.

I must beg to differ with these recent reviews. Apparently, many people love these villas just to be on St. John, but I found my vacation to be just the opposite. We exchanged into Sunset Ridge for a week. We left after the first night! I could not wait for RCI to open the next morning to get us out of there. We were in Unit C, which supposedly had just been updated. The only thing we could see were some new cabinets. Everything else was dilapidated. Even the kitchen utensils were corroded and could not be used. We could not even boil water since the tea pot was corroded with rust. Maybe most people eat out daily/nightly and do not use the utensils. We only wanted to make tea.

There were bugs everywhere!!! It was impossible to use anything in the kitchen because of the bugs, which we sprayed numerous times. The top of the garbage can was full of bugs. I left my luggage on top of the dining room table to prevent the bugs from crawling inside. One of my friends awakened during the night while sleeping upstairs only to find her chest full of bugs!!! Her luggage and pocketbook were also full of bugs. I had a sleepless night from not wanting to close my eyes in this place. At 8:00 the next morning, I was on the phone with RCI requesting for them to get us out of that place. I had numerous mosquito bites just from one night of being in this villa. I intended to stay in the master bedroom, but found the place to be pretty creepy. I slept for about 2 hours on the sofa. There are no curtains to prevent the neighbors from across the street from looking directly into the kitchen and living room. We found a table cloth and climbed on top of the counter, using some books on the side of the cabinets, to cover the window. I guess having people looking directly inside the unit is not a problem for most people. Upon arrival when the agent was showing us the pool, there was animal feces in several places near the pool, which she seemed to think was fine. So, were we supposed to look at the feces an entire week???

I must say that I was so taken aback by this place after hearing so much about the island of St John and wanting to stay there at what ever cost. Since RCI only has two timeshare properties on the island, and the Westin is so difficult to get in, we selected Sunset Ridge Villas. I don't think that this place should be affiliated with RCI (Resort Condominium International). I exchanged there from a gold crown resort for this place and I was very dissatisfied. I have stayed in other resorts that are not gold crown, but this one took the cake. It was the ugliest place I have ever seen. I don't vacation just for the views. I need to have a clean, satisfactory living environment, which this was not. The splash pool was also not available, but we would not have used it anyway after looking at the ugly ground surrounding it. The surface in the courtyard was horrible. The grill was rusty, as well as the lawn chairs.

I would never recommend my friends to stay at this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
#3 of 5 in Cruz Bay
Estate Lindholm
Estate Lindholm
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to Sunset Ridge Villas? Share your experiences!