“Terrific view and Terrific Meal” 5 of 5 stars

The equator
Cuisines: Caribbean, American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Located at the caneel bay resort
Minneapolis
“Terrific view and Terrific Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our best meal while on St. John was at the Sugar Mill Restaurant located at the Caneel Bay Resort.

We arrived at about 6:30 in order to take advantage of the magnificent sunset. We were granted a table on the outer rung of this open air restaurant that was built within the quarters of sugar mill ruins dating back hundreds of years.

We started out with a rum punch as we decompressed while taking in the sunset over the Caribbean Sea. Once the appetizers started, that was when the real treat began.

We decided to splurge and had tuna carpaccio crab salad. This was presented so beautifully, it was almost a shame to eat it. But it was a tremendous starter. We noticed the table next to us had the lump crab & tuna. That looked equally delicious.

We learned the fish was brought in fresh every day, right at the Caneel Bay dock. We live in the Midwest, so eating fish this fresh was a special. My wife ordered snapper and I had grilled Mahi Mahi. We shared our dishes and both entrees were excellent.

Our waiter Wayne helped make our meal extra nice. A smile never left his face. He told us that he had been working at the Sugar Mill for over a decade. He also shared that several Caneel employees had worked at this beautiful property for 20 and even 30 years.

Chef Mike came out and asked how our meal was. The Sugar Mill turned out to be an excellent choice.

• Visited July 2013

Grand Marais
“The Best of St. John”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

You will not find a better place to relax and dine on the island of St. John, unless it's Caneel Bay's other restaurant. Caneel Bay has a beautiful location and immaculate facility along with plenty of parking which you don't find easily on St. John.

We were able to make reservations more than 2 days in advance and we were not guests of the resort. We knew the prices would be expensive but didn't feel they were out of line with what other restaurants on the island were charging.

We thoroughly enjoyed our food and the friendly staff. I had a salad, lobster trio and delicious dessert while my husband enjoyed a beet salad and his meal of scallops.

A vacation to St. John should include a meal at Caneel Bay, treat yourself, it's worth it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Plymouth, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sugar Mill Restaurant @ Caneel Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at Caneel Bay at the end of July. We ate at the Sugar Mill twice, and both times were a trip highlight. I am a vegatarian, and when I asked if there were any options other than what was on the menu, our waiter and the Chef went all out. The Chef, Shamoy Burton (I am not positive of the spelling) was beyond fantastic. He created a plate of about 5 different dishes, all creative and amazing. He is very talented. The waiter, Wayne Roberts, was a big part of the experience. He brought Shamoy over to meet us and it was like hanging out with good friends. The second time we ate there was even better, since they knew it was our final night of vacation.
I can't remember what my husband ordered (not vegetarian), but he was very pleased with it. Of course, he also enjoyed a taste of everything on my plate. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Stamford, Connecticut
“Ok food, great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This restaurant is now called Sugar Mill.

The location is quite unique - in the old sugar mill on the Caneel Bay resort. It offered open air dining, with lovely views of the ocean and sunset over St. Thomas.

The food was a solid, good, meal... just not excellent. It was definitely expensive for what it was, but we expected that being on St. John. The view and ambiance make up for the food, in my opinion. I would suggest dining here one night.

• Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Sugar Mill Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

On a visit to St. John, my husband and I dined at the Sugar Mill at CB. The atmosphere was great and the food was delicious. The price was to be expected. We were not overwhelming impressed with the service, however. The waitress had no idea if any of hte seafood was local and we practically had to beg her to ask the chef. She was unable to explain many of the dishes or the wine list. We made educated guesses and the food was quite good.