Grande Bay Resort
Gallows Point Resort(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$475
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$209
Travelocity
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
$196
Travelocity
No availability for your dates from our partners
Secret Harbour Beach Resort(Benner)
Frenchmans(West End)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthrough vrboparking garagein towntime sharewasher dryerst johnbeach chairsperfect locationpool and hot tubfull kitchenwatch the ferriesbedroom condoferry dockrental vehicleexercise roomthree bedroomwithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Grande Bay is a modern managed condo development overlooking Cruz Bay on St John . I understand perfectly why most give it a 5 star rating and to be honest , I was close to giving it 5 stars too but feel for some , its got a few minor warts worth mentioning .

The good are many ; its smack dab in downtown Cruz Bay thus easy walk into town and its shops and its got a parking spot for all cars which is very important as the town has zippo parking . St John roads are NOT conducive to frequent drives to Cruz Bay .... especially after a few Painkillers / Rum Punches with steep roads / hair pin turns .

The development is relatively new and at least our unit was in new pristine condition . Most everything worked very well and it was ultra clean and nice .

We stayed in a 3BR penthouse unit in the upper building . This is approximately 90 feet above Bay Street out front of unit . The view of Cruz Bay was spectacular as was views back to Red Hook and even as far as Jost Van Dyke in distance . Even our 3 kids loved to sit out on terrace with a drink / snack and just stare .

Now the warts ;

1) Its in town and Cruz Bay makes noise at night . We figured out by running fans outside bedrooms at high speed it helped drown out Beach Bar band music nightly but for those who want / demand complete quiet at night , this will be an issue .

2) Grande Bay is EXTREMELY vertical . Its divided into a lower unit and upper unit . The road up to the 2nd unit parking is mindblowing steep . I rented a Tahoe for the week I was there which does NOT have 4-wheel drive . Twice in the week we were there , we came home after a brief rain shower and were unable to get up the hill to our assigned parking . Once in fact the Tahoe started sliding backwards forcing me to ask all in car to get out quickly and us having to leave SUV parked in front of main office . It would have been a disaster if we had been there a rainy week . If staying in upper unit , I think you MUST have 4-wheel drive ( it was almost all jeeps I saw parked up there )

3) water pressure on islands is notoriously bad but this had to rate among the worst I have ever seen . Showers literally stopped at times . Given weather was fabulously warm while we were just there , it was not too big an issue for us but others might really hate it . Being 90 feet above street level probably didn't help either .

Other positives are front desk who was always there when I called and very helpful with recommended boat charters , restaurants , beach choices , etc . Also I highly recommend going through Laurie Crandall of Crandall Property Management to rent units ( she has like 15-20 at Grande Bay alone ) . She literally met us at ferry dock and gave us a quick tour of Cruz Bay before dropping us off at our unit and showing us our rental SUV for the week already in our assigned parking spot . She also took care of buying a grocery list of food in advance so day we got there , we could grab a swim and relax and had breakfast / cold drinks all handled .

Pro-Tip : If staying in upper unit , you walk into the lower unit garage when coming back from town and take elevator up 4 floors to its PENTHOUSE level . Then walk out back entrance which comes out on road into parking and take short walk int upper unit garage and take elevators up to your floor .

Lastly ; if you get there late afternoon like we did , save yourself a walk around town guessing about dinner and go into Beach Bar out front of Grande Bay and get a table on beach ....especially if you have kids . Get several Ahi tuna bites ( seared slices of tuna with a dipping sauce ) along with a couple painkiller cocktails and you're in paradise

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank ryecapital
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed in a studio unit overlooking Cruz Bay. Very close to everything. Great room for 1-2 people. I felt very safe. Occasionally it was a little loud with the bars closeby but I didnt mind. Exchange thru a timeshare but it was very difficult to get in to. Stayed in December 2013. It was unusually rainy, or so the locals tell me. Only weird thing was that the small refrigerator did not have door on the ice/freezer area. But the staff left a cooler full of ice closeby
I live on the west coast and it is too far to make frequent trips to St John. But if i had the time and money i would certainly consider buying there. Also, there was absolutely no mention of buying a timeshare of taking a tour

Room Tip: no cooking area in the studio. No restaurant on site. Arrive early, I did not arrive until 9pm and had a hard time finding the place, even though it was very close to the ferry
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Husband and I just got back from 9 nights on St John. We stayed all 9 nights in 3 bed / 2 bath at Grande Bay but rented through a privately managed unit. We did get talked into doing time share talk with Grande Bay. So we did get to see a 1bedroom and a studio.

What did I like?

-This property is conviently located. It is easy to walk to dinner, shopping, activities, ferries, taxis, Dolphin grocery market, car rental companies...
-It appears that each unit has a private parking space available.
-We had free wifi in our unit (not sure if this is available in all).
-It does appear that each unit (even studios) have washer dryers.
- There was a note in our check in packet that the water at this property is filtered. I am pretty particular about taste of water and it was great. I am not sure if just our unit had a filter or the entire property.
- Pool and hot tub available
- Work out room available
- How can i forget view of bay and downtown.
- Front desk manned 24 hours. Everyone we talked with was super!
- Happy hour on Monday and Wednesday downtown. I do not know if it is the same bars week to week but while we were there Monday itwas at Motu ( next to Grande Bay) and Wednesday it was at High Tide.
- 2 day jeep rental was a breeze through them
- We had a telephone in the unit but just my dads ATT cell phone since we always had it with us.
- Our room had beach chairs, cooler, beach towels and noodles.
- Our unit was clean. You can tell it gets hard use but it was still very nice.
- Lots of appliances. Washer, dryer, fridge with icemaker, oven, stove, coffeemmaker, toaster.

Let me talk about time share aspect. Husband and I have been drug to many of these else where and it was torture! I so enjoyed talking with this group. We are actually interested! Fran, Daniel, and Steve were great.

I know I am missing something. Only bad thing I recall was there was no light over dining room table. It was alittle dark eating dinner but ehhh no big deal. We did have little bitty ants if some one didnt clean up after themselves in kitchen (and we were on the 3rd floor of back buildings). Again... No big deal.

Ove all we love St John and we really liked Grande Bay. We will see if w decide to go back and get the time share thingy...very tempting.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Time2VacationAgain
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This property by far has the best location of any of the hotels on St. John. It is literally seconds from every bar and restaurant in Cruz Bay. All of the beaches are just a few minutes drive away and cabs are readily accessable outside of the hotel if you don't have a car. If you are looking for a pleasant mix of eating, nightlife, beach time and shopping, this is your spot.
The accomodations were brand new and beautifully done; no expense was spared when decorating or furnishing the rooms. The kitchens in the rooms are phenomenal, fully stocked with every thing you need to cook; they make you feel guilty for eating out. The pool is great if you have some spare time or feel like taking a day off from the beach. And it has the best view.
We took the Residensea (private boat of the hotel's available for chartering with a Captain) one day. This way by far the best day of the trip. We were able to go around to the best snorkeling spots and to different beaches and bars in the BVIs recommended by the captain.
All around, Grande Bay is one of my vacation spots and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This resort is in a different class of resorts!! The accommodations are incredible and the staff is totally awesome!!! The pool is incredible, heated!!!! Yea!! And the view over the bay can not be compared to any other!!!!

Room Tip: Every room is awesome and they all are ocean front!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business