Grande Bay Resort
  • Breakfast included
Excellent 5/5
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)
Very Good 4/5
Caneel Bay Resort(Caneel Bay)
  • Pool
Great 4.5/5
Elysian Beach Resort(East End)
Good 3.5/5
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsthrough vrboparking garagein towntime sharewasher dryerst johnbeach chairsperfect locationpool and hot tubfull kitchenwatch the ferriesbedroom condoferry dockrental vehicleexercise roomthree bedroomwithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Last year we stayed in a VRBO unit with one bedroom (not lock out) for two of us. This year we rented a VRBO three bed/two bath unit and brought my parents. We enjoyed the convenience of both units - especially the full kitchen, washer dryer, and beach chairs, coolers, etc.. Liked the location for dining (my parents loved how close it was to the Catholic Church). Enjoyed the work out room and pool/hot tub. Loved the views from the units. Both times the units were in great working order and well stocked. Both times we stayed in the upper buildings. This is nice because it is a little quieter...but when you rent a car...it is so much harder to get up the hill into the parking lot - especially when it rains. A little scary when you are stuck spinning tires on the incline (I had to get out an push the jeep as my husband tried to steer). However, having parking in town is a great perk.

Hint...to access the upper buildings...use the elevators in the lower buildings.

I have been coming to St. John for over 12 years. I find Grand Bay to be my favorite place to stay. I have also stayed previously at the Westin and Gallows Point. I am not interested in staying in a villa or near the Westin since I want to be in Cruz Bay at night for dining, shopping, and walking around. I don't want to drive around the island at night seems dangerous enough during the day (watch out for goats, donkeys, deer, and cows walking in the road).
Got to see the Pan Dragon Christmas Concert this year...always a special show. Kind of funny, I saw them 10 years ago...when a lot of them were "baby dragons."

Just love this island...love the locals...love the beaches. But if you stay in Cruz Bay, be warned...you have to drive or catch a cab to the beaches...but it is worth it!!!!!

Expensive place to rent, but if you cook in a few times and pack lunches...it helps quite a bit. Also, consider bringing some dry goods in your suitcase. The local grocery store can be quite expensive for some items. We brought pancake mix, spaghetti, pringles, snacks, juice boxes etc. to save a few dollars. We did find a lot of useful stuff left behind by previous tenants too!

If you have any questions about planning a trip, drop me an email!

Room Tip: try to get a unit away from the end closer to downtown. A lot of noise from construction and local bars. Upper units seem quieter but upper parking lot is a pain!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank suelivesinva
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Our family of 5 (3 teens) had plenty of space in our 3 bedroom 2 bath condo. It was clean and well appointed. The parking was very tight in the garage for our jeep and took a couple of days to get the hang of parking the car. Our unit was on the lowest floor, so our balcony had a view of the telephone lines and transformers, which was quite ugly. Great spot to be able to walk to the Beach Bar and Cruz Bay restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a space on a higher level for a better view from your balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TennisMom3Times
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I almost hesitate to write this because this is now one of my closely guarded, lesser known gems. But the staff, the room, and everything about our stay at Grande Bay was too great to keep it all to myself.

From the moment we arrived (when our room was ready 4 hours early for us), the staff couldnt be nicer - every single one of them. The room was so well appointed - clean, well decorated, and had such nice nexpected amenties (complimentary bottle of rum and cokes was our favorite). They thought of everything (beach chairs, cooler bags, etc)!!

The beds were comfy and the views were great. The complimentary happy hours offered every Monday and Wednesday (we went Monday) are truly great (and there is no sales pitch, I was expecting one, just drinks and fun with a really fun staff and locals that help you enjoy the island).

My only complaint is that the pool was in shade all day (liekly the time of year we visited - Decemeber) and there is no pool bar. But with sun on the pool deck, a hot tub, and two bars within about 100 yards of the hotel (and the complimentary rum and cokes) we made do :-)! Oh, also, I am used to resorts where the towels are changed and turn down service occurs daily, and that didn't happen here, but that is such a minor point and we were having too much fun to care.

After staying in a VERY pricy villa for the first few days of our trip, if I was being honest with myself I would have to say that Grande Bay was more fun, more comfortable, and a better value. I will be back!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank joemichalski
Paul H, General Manager at Grande Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Mr. Michalski
I am glad you didn't "hesitate" to write such a wonderful review; it is much appreciated. I have shared your writing with the entire staff and we are all grateful that you had a memorable stay.

Our Sales Team is second to none and the last thing we would ever want to do is "pressure" a guest into going through a dreaded "fractional sales presentation"! As for the daily Housekeeping usually associated with hotels we model ourselves more like private villas and avoid daily room intrusions. Happy to do so on your next visit!!

Thank you again for your review and please reach out to me directly when you next contemplate travel to "America's Paradise".
Best regards,
Paul

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We loved everything about Grande Bay Resort! The penthouse condo we stayed in was clean, modernly decorated, and had such picturesque views from inside & outside on the balconies. We did not need a car..walking distance to Restaurants, shops, ferry dock etc. The Grande Bay staff were so friendly & we loved the fitness center & free Keurig coffee & espresso each morning! I loved Grande Bay & St. John so much, I have already asked my husband if we can go back next year for our 8th anniversary! :)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Loved the location and the beautiful deck views. Some of the friendliest staff I have met throughout my travels. They always went out of the way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Close enough to walk to everything.

• Stayed: December 2012
Paul H, General Manager at Grande Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear SPenaRobinson,
Thank you for the comments and compliments on our staff! I couldn't agree more that they are our greatest asset. As for the best view ever...that would be when we see you and your family returning to the property, hopefully soon!
Kind regards,