We booked a 2 bedroom condo through the owner via VRBO. Our dealings with the owner and the property manager were excellent. We paid $3300 for a week during peak season, which was the most reasonable rate I could find for any of the 2-bedroom Grande Bay condos.
I want to limit my review here to the property itself. The kitchens are outfitted with stainless steel appliances and granite; however, you can tell that some of the work was done cheaply. The bathrooms were small and included faux-tile, which I did not expect for a property that is supposed to be luxurious. Also, neither of our bathrooms had tubs (which I imagine would be quite an incovenience if traveling with small childres; other units may differ) or lighting in the small shower, which I thought was odd. We also thought the pool was small, and it gets very little directly sun, so it's not as useful as we'd hoped. We spent most of our time at the beach, but wanted to enjoy the pool at the end of the day. That didn't really work out for us.
With all of that said, though, based on extensive research when choosing where we'd stay, I still think Grande Bay was our best bet. It is far less expensive than other high end options like Gallows Point or Caneel. Yet, it is extemely convenient to the night-life of Cruz Bay, which was important to us. We did rent a car to explore the island and travel out to the beaches. We probably could have gotten along with just using a taxi, although I never priced the cost of a trip out to the beaches. I give this property a 4/5 based primarily on location and based on comparison of it to other accomodations in Cruz Bay.
However, it is not as nice as the accomodations we've had in Mexico or Maui for similar costs, which is probably why I was a bit disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club is situated hillside overlooking Cruz Bay on St. John in the US Virgin Islands. Set near Wharfside Village, this St. John condominium resort overlooks the emerald and blue waters of Cruz Bay and St. Thomas to the east and the British Virgin Islands to the west. Offering nightly rentals (min. 2 nights) and fractional ownership opportunities in the heart of "Love City". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Grande Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Bay Hotel Cruz Bay
- Grande Bay Resort St. John/Cruz Bay