“Great spot”
Review of Spyglass - CLOSED

Spyglass
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Spyglass Restaurant Dining with a View. Lunch 11am-3pm Sunset Happy Hour 3pm-6pm Dinner 5pm-til. Enjoy a creative menu and phenomenal view from Spyglass restaurant. Come in for a casual lunch and watch the boats sail by. Want to see the best sunsets on St. John? Happy hour at Spyglass is the place to be. At dinner, enjoy the tranquility of the waves crashing below and the twinkling lights of St. Thomas in the distance. Spyglass Dining with a VIEW! Enjoy.
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The food was fantastic, had prime rib one night and short ribs another night. Owner and his wife and great people. Love it when owners are there to greet you and sit down and have a drink with you. Great view too!

Reviewed December 21, 2011

We ate dinner & managed to catch the end of happy hour too! Dinner was terrific, drinks were great and the view can't be beat. My husband couldn't decide what he wanted for dessert so we ate the Fried Key Lime Pie at the restaurant and took a Pumpkin Cheesecake to go, both were delicious. The new owners were friendly, we had a terrific waitress (Kelli, I think...) AND enjoyed the live music...what more can you ask for?

Reviewed December 18, 2011

There were five of us who dined at Spyglass and I was the sole vegetarian in the group.

The very friendly owner ushered us to our preferred table and without a fuss accommodated the fifth person by simply joining another small table rather than crowding us at a table for four - we really appreciated this small gesture of welcome. The whole place had a no-nonsense, non-uppity air about it.

The food was a bit pricey but I guess it's after all located in the heart of the tourist area, Cruz Bay and one also pays for the excellent view from the verandah where one is seated! The wine by the glass was not great but it was not bad either (I've had better Chilean wine selections). As a vegetarian, I was happy to see at least 2 items listed separately under a Vegetarian sub-section. Unfortunately, Spyglass, like many others, tends to make a synonym of vegetarians and vegans - the two veg. dishes, one of which was a whole wheat pasta did not have any cheese as an ingredient and that left the food a little less tasty. However, the non-vegetarians in the group - who ordered items such as pancetta penne pasta, a mahi plate, snapper plate, and a Greek salad with mahi - were very satisfied with their dishes.

There was live music from a solo musician that also added to the ambiance of the place - he was quite good and his audience (those at the tables and at the bar) really seemed to enjoy his musical offerings.

On the whole, a pleasant meal and dining experience.

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Went for dinner service was excellent. Food was very good and plenty of it.
Owner was on premises very nice and thanked us for coming in.
Would definitely go back.

Reviewed December 11, 2011

I ate brunch today at Spyglass, drawn by the sign promising two-for-one mimosas and bloody marys. Who could have guessed that the drink special would not be among the top three reasons I enjoyed my meal? I ordered the "special" omelette, three eggs caressing an ideal combination of crabmeat, spinach, brie, and sauteed onions. The plate included an english muffin, fresh slice of orange, and diced fried potatoes. The meal was satisfying from first bite to last. And of course, the mimosas helped. But more enjoyable than the alcohol was the attentive service I received from Kelli, a charming Kansas City transplant -- in her element in the laid-back atmosphere of St. John. In fact, were it not for Kelli, I would not have developed an appreciation for Spyglass's signature dessert: deep fried key lime pie. Now I am not a key lime pie person. In fact, I really do not like key lime pie. But this dessert -- pillowy, mild, key lime filling inside a lightly fried outside, dusted with sugar and cinnamon -- may have made me a convert. All in all, a VERY enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Oh, and did I mention the second-floor view of the harbor at Cruz Bay? It was the ribbon on the package that is Spyglass. I enjoyed it all -- you will too.