“Awesome sides, good BBQ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Candi's Barbecue
Ranked #30 of 59 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Cuisines: Caribbean, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: It is really a small shack type place but has the most amazing bbq i have had in the carribean. please contact me with any Q's.
Pa.
“Awesome sides, good BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We couldn't wait to try Candi's after reading the reviews and thankfully she opened right before our trip ended. We had the pork ribs, cole slaw, plantains, and french fries. I'm dreaming about the plantains and cole slaw and can't wait to come back for more. Want to go on a Friday to try the mac-n-cheese, bet it's awesome. The ribs were pretty tender, but def not fall off the bone. I was surprised she could get them so tender with her limited kitchen, prob can't cook them for a few days like others at home can. The sauce was pretty good too, thick and sweet with a bit too much vinegar to make it my favorite, but it is right up there. Want to try the chicken next time. I would def be back. Only had Skinney Legs ribs on the island and there is no comparison (see my review on those ribs). Can't wait to come back for more of Candi's yumminess!!!

Visited October 2013

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great ribs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Candi's offers a lot of good food for a great price in Cruz Bay. It's a little ways up the road from downtown Cruz Bay (on the way to Starfish market) and tucked in a corner, but it's worth the walk. We went there with a pretty large group - about 8, and she handled it well. She ran out of macaroni and cheese, but otherwise, she had plenty of food for all. The jerk ribs were good, but the sauce was more like a spicier version of tomato-based barbecue sauce than typical jerk spice. Tasted fantastic, though, and you need a lot of napkins! I highly recommend it!

• Visited March 2013
Ohio
“We come here several times every trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We start and end every trip at Candie's! I dream about her ribs and slaw-seriously. Easy Parkin, fast and friendly service, best ribs in the world, terrific sides, for $12???? Unbelievable.

• Visited April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Sublime BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have come to St. John many years and have always sought the best food on the island. After hearing people debate Candi's and Joe's the way locals in Philadelphia debate their cheesesteak favorite spots, we cancelled a reservation at some pricey, fancy joint and did take-out from both Candi's and Joe's....Candi's won by a landslide. The service at Candi's was super-friendly, the prep time less, the portions larger, and of course, most importantly, the BBQ and sides ruled the day. If your like a thicker and tastier sauce, Candi's is the place. And you will know why it is called there the "comeback" sauce! Make sure to try the plantains. Oh, and the cole slaw and corn were better at Candi's too. My daughter gave it 4 "S"'s for service, sauce, sides and skin (the skin on the chicken is crispier and more flavorfully cooked at Candi's). Both Joe's and Candi's are great.....Candi's wins.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Doug R
Arlington, Virginia
“Eat Early”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Informal in the extreme, with only a few tables. Had the barbecue fish, and I didn't think it was very good. The problem we had was that although it was only about 7:30 when we ate, the place was out of most of the dishes we wanted to try. I have given it a three because given what I have heard of the place I expect that other dishes were better than what I had, and I wouldn't be surprised if the fish were better on other occasions.

Visited February 2013