“Kekoa Sailing Expeditions - A Travel Agent's Perspective”

Kekoa Sailing Expeditions
Ranked #3 of 42 Tours in Cruz Bay
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I traveled to St. John with my sister and friend for a girls' trip in early September. I read the reviews here and really liked the photos and what people had to say. When I emailed them to see if they were still sailing in September, I got a quick response and we were booked on the Jost sail. I was pretty psyched about it.

We got a call a few days prior asking if we would mind being picked up a bit earlier because they had to travel over to the Ritz Carlton in ST.....not a problem....we were able to get on the boat early and get comfy. Lucky for us, there were only 4 others joining us. We pretty much had a private sail!

The boat is fun with several bean bag chairs up front to relax on. Shortly after we were underway, wer were offered cocktails, banana bread, fruit and cheese and crackers. We cleared customs, snorkled at Thatch Caye, went to Smugglers Cove on Tortola and then on to Jost. We had several hours at Jost, I think because we got there early due to motoring and not sailing. The beach is gorgeous, the Soggy Dollar Bar was fun too. We hung out and swam and relaxed......I didn't want the day to end!

When it was time to head back, Capt J hoisted thed sails in an attempt to sail. Unfortunately the wind did not want to cooperate. He tried! No biggie, the breeze felt great once we started moving.

All in all, this excursion was the highlight of our trip. The crew was friendly and accomodating, and being such a small group, we got extra attention. I would highly recommend Kekoa and I hope to have the opportunity to sail with them again. Top notch and awesome!

2  Thank gemi3886

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had a great time on the sunset snorkeling trip. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. They even took those of us who didn't want to snorkel to the beach in the dinghy. They provided big fluffy towels after snorkeling. The open bar and snacks were great and they didn't skimp on the alcohol.

1  Thank TerezaM2
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was absolutely the best excursion of our trip! The crew was friendly and experienced and put everyone at ease. They also knew some really great spots for snorkeling. (We had been diving with another company the day before and actually saw more reef and more fish SNORKELING off the Kekoa.) Between the two snorkel spots they serve snacks and drinks. The boat is cool. The crew is cool and capable. We will absolutely visit Kekoa again and would recommend them!

1  Thank Gini P
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Book the Kekoa Snorkeling-Sunset-Sail for a fabulous time! This is not a canned journey – given the conditions, and prior passenger experience, Captain Jamison selected Lavango Island where none of the passengers had been snorkeling. We anchored off the island for great snorkeling in clear, calm water – with inflatable vests available if desired. On the outbound leg, Captain Jamison gave an interesting history of the Kekoa - it was built by he and his family/business partners! After snorkeling, there was an open bar and snacks (try a Painkiller drink!), and Captain Jamison took us out on a wonderful sunset sail, giving an awesome close-up view of the huge rock islands projecting from the water, around uninhabited islands, and to popular sites like Caneel Bay and Gallows Point. Our trip ended with a beautiful view of the full moon over Cruz Bay. The Kekoa was the highlight of our St John vacation!

1  Thank Mark and Susan P
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We took a 1/2 day sail and snorkel excursion today on the Kekoa. It is a beautiful vessel and we enjoyed our time onboard. I wished for a longer day aboard...it was such a relaxing experience. The crew of 3 chicks was nice to see-girl power I guess...They were awesome. I would recommend this sail to everyone. Nice, low key and relaxing.